Hey guys i was just wondering if it was legal to get donations for a band or would that be illegal? I think it is for a good cause, cause if people want to hear your music you have to have money for recording and such?
no, it's not illegal..... it's called a concert.
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
well i dont know where you get your shows because around here we dont make a dime we sell tickets for the place who got the venue but dont make anything.
LOl, the day that it becomes illegal to give other people money for their efforts, is the day that the world goes ape.

Donations are always legal.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Hulk2
Hey guys i was just wondering if it was legal to get donations for a band or would that be illegal? I think it is for a good cause, cause if people want to hear your music you have to have money for recording and such?
Donations mean volunteering to giving money. Nothing illegal about a group of people who are giving you the gift of fiscal security out of the kindness of their own hearts. Now if you deceived them into giving you money, that would be illegal.
Quote by Hulk2
well i dont know where you get your shows because around here we dont make a dime we sell tickets for the place who got the venue but dont make anything.

LOl, with my old band we made about 300 dollars for 1 night play = 2 hours play + free drinks.

Sometimes we played for free, like outdoor gigs or something. But real venues always pay.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 25, 2008,
the only way you might run into a problem is if your talking about large donations like the kind that arent cash. im relating this to when i was on the committee to build a skate park in my home town. i think to accept larger donations you need to make your band a society, in canada it costs about 80 $ i think. but if it will fit in your tip jar then just take it lol. check this out but it might put u on the right track.
yeah we definitely just want to get some for recordings so we can promote our music not take it illegally i mean hey put people choose to put money in that jar no one makes them i can see lying to get it but if kind people who like music and appreciate would donate thats great but there are alot of people who dont care about people struggling to keep there music alive.
Quote by Hulk2

That probably means first off (no offense of course) your band isn't well known or good enough to warrant a cut from the door, and second I would talk to the owner of the venue and ask if a cut from the door would be reasonable.
yeah we have only been a band for about two months but our first show we are playing with a signed band and i think we are greatful for that. I just hope people really like our style and new take to hardcore.
it's illegal to call it a charity. but you're fine to take donations
Quote by 20Tigers
I thought it was called busking?
Which is illegal, yet unenforced, in most western countries unless you have a license. Busking is damn fun though.
The only time if it would be illegal is when tax day comes around. If people give you "donations" to see your show that means you are rendering a service at which point the money you have in you hand is "Income" and must be claimed on your taxes and blah blah blah evading taxes blah blah blah 60 jail time blah blah blah. But this is if you're making enough to call it a primary career. And if you cant evade taxes on cash jobs you're either dumb or taking home wheelbarrows full of cash.

If you take a "donation" because someone wants your band to get further, i.e. money for new equipment, a recording session, a trailer to tour with, the money you have at that point is an "Investment". It is also supposed to be claimed on your taxes, however its tax exempt i believe, as long as you claim it. Then you deal with profit percentages, or interest payments, depending on the conditions of the investment, all being documented. Again that's on something like a "Public enterprise" scale.

If you take a "donation" because someone likes your face and thinks your music sounds pretty, it is then called a "gift". Gifts are generally small and the government usually stays clear of this, however if several gifts of any non-negligible size start coming your way and the rest of your file looks fishy, you may have the IRS and corporate investigators knocking at your door.

My point:

Dude, dont worry about it. What you're talking about is probably illegal in some convoluted way, but who the hell cares. People break laws all the time, sometimes without any knowledge that what they're doing is illegal. Hell a good percentage of people commit a felony at least once in their lives. As long as no one who reeeeaaaallly cares knows, run with it. And as far as taking money for a band goes; dont worry about it until you start using a K-1 self-employment sheet instead of W-2 when you do your taxes.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"
Quote by fusionsan
The only time if it would be illegal is when tax day comes around. If people give you "donations" to see your show that means you are rendering a service at which point the money you have in you hand is "Income" and must be claimed on your taxes and blah blah blah evading taxes blah blah blah 60 jail time blah blah blah. But this is if you're making enough to call it a primary career. [bold]And if you cant evade taxes on cash jobs you're either dumb or taking home wheelbarrows full of cash.[/bold]
I knew a builder that used to carry around a bag he would put all the cash from his "cashies" into. He never put it in the bank cause he didn't want it to be traced. He had masses of cash stashed around his house and in his car and in this bag. It was hilarious.

I don't know the laws there but tax here is higher on a second job than on your primary job. But you get a certain amount of leeway. Like if you busk and make a few hundred bucks they won't come after you.

Also if you do take it as income then your band is a business. If you spend it on a concert then keep all your receipts. If you can prove your band didn't make a profit you should be ok.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
I knew a builder that used to carry around a bag he would put all the cash from his "cashies" into. He never put it in the bank cause he didn't want it to be traced. He had masses of cash stashed around his house and in his car and in this bag. It was hilarious.

I don't know the laws there but tax here is higher on a second job than on your primary job. But you get a certain amount of leeway. Like if you busk and make a few hundred bucks they won't come after you.

Also if you do take it as income then your band is a business. If you spend it on a concert then keep all your receipts. If you can prove your band didn't make a profit you should be ok.

Ye, as long as you live a Modal life, and don't buy 10 ferrari's when u have no job. The IRS won't find you.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ye, as long as you live a Modal life, and don't buy 10 ferrari's when u have no job. The IRS won't find you.

The IRS ruins lives. What happened to the free market? Capitalism? Honest pay for honest work? The government is meddling with out very livelihood and is overstepping its bounds. Bring back control of the the money to the people who make it! ABOLISH INCOME TAXES!!

RON PAUL 2012!

*cough*

lol.
The hip cat says; "Mhm, okay, I can groove wit' this"