I'm having trouble when it comes to power chords. Sure, all you do is lay your finger down to barre the strings, but I have trouble when I have to use my pinky finger. It doesn't press hard enough and it mutes the strings or creates a buzz. Any suggestions you can give on strengthening the pinky?
Use it when ever you can for riffs as well as the variouse chord situations where it is used. in other words, dont go out of your way to stretch alot to use your ring finger when your pinky could be used. thats nott o say that you dont want to get good stretching ability, so dont stop doing that, but everything in moderation. that should increase the strength of your pinky over time. it will make your life much better down the road if you can use your pinky well.
Last edited by specWB at Nov 25, 2008,
Use it lots - if you keep practicing using your pinky it will get stronger
i always use my pinky for power chords, i always use my pinky for anything i can

power it up using 3 note per string scales

start off with stuff like this
D----------------7-9-10...............
A------7-9-10-----------7-9-10..........continue

^thats dominant phrygian in B

then move on to stuff like this
D--------------------3-5-7
A-----------3-5-7-----------3-5-7
E---3-5-7.........................................continue

^mixolydian in G

you would obviously put in you own variations, different keys, scales, with string skipping or little melodic pieces but just use your pinky as much as you can.
Find a rubber ball or something. Something that you can push down on with your fingers. Keep squashing the ball for ages and gradually it will build up strength in all your fingers.

Its what im currently doing, and it was advised by my guitar teacher. And it is working.
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by MapOfYourHead
i always use my pinky for power chords, i always use my pinky for anything i can

power it up using 3 note per string scales

start off with stuff like this
D----------------7-9-10...............
A------7-9-10-----------7-9-10..........continue

^thats dominant phrygian in B

then move on to stuff like this
D--------------------3-5-7
A-----------3-5-7-----------3-5-7
E---3-5-7.........................................continue

^mixolydian in G

you would obviously put in you own variations, different keys, scales, with string skipping or little melodic pieces but just use your pinky as much as you can.

that exactly what came to my mind when i read the first post.
i would use something like a 2-3-5, or a 6-7-9 or even 6-7-10

that way your strengthening the muscles to extend the pinky as well.. which is prob the same muscle. start with 4-5-6, then try 4-5-7. then 4-5-8 if thats humanly possible.

(exercises dont really need to be in a key imo)
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91

(exercises dont really need to be in a key imo)

by saying that i simply ment move around the fretboard.

sub-consiously i warm up doing scales and work out the same scale in different keys all over the fretboard as im doing it.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
by saying that i simply ment move around the fretboard.

sub-consiously i warm up doing scales and work out the same scale in different keys all over the fretboard as im doing it.

thats good, but as what i would assume to be an experienced guitar player, you can do that.

someone that needs help strengthening their pinky dexterity shouldn't really worry about it (as an exercise, rather than a warm up)

im not saying your wrong, just didn't want TS to stress over scales unless TS wanted too etc. lol
*Enter Sig Here*
Just keep practicing bar chords with your pinky. It will build it up. And it will get easy.