im tempted by the extra tone adjustment but dont want to lose the basic tone and dynamics i have now.

my setup is blues orientated and sounds good as it is, id really just be looking to smooth out a few spikes and tighten it up in places. are there any downsides to eq's, despite a bit of noise if boosted too much? will it change the overall feel and dynamics?

if anyone has used them for anything blues based and not just metal, id appreciate your opinions on this

cheers
Noooooo! The EQ will boost your dynamic range in different frequencies and the like. It will make your tone overall more pleasing. If you've never used one its a good idea to spend about an hour with it, figuring out what works well for what styles of your playing!

EQ's for blues make sense too, your amp probably has a 3 band EQ, which is not very accurate. What you'll be buying is probably a 7, and is much more useful. Shape your tone good sir!
I agree. I do blues based rock and I use an EQ to smooth out my tone and it does wonders. It can help you dial in that tone you hear in your head if you learn how to use it properly.
An EQ cuts or boosts different frequencies in your signal; it's basically the bass, middle and treble controls you find on your amp, but allows much more attention to detail.

So, no, they don't make your sound digital.
cool thanks for the help all of you

i was attracted to the idea of further tailoring my tone but not if it were to be at the expense of lost dynamics/feel.

any particular pedals you could recommend? fish and chips looks ok, but is there any benefit in getting anything more expensive (MXR)?
don't be afraid of an eq pedal. if you use it right it'll enhance your tone. just get one and mess with it and explore what you can do with it. who knows, you may just stumble into that perfect sound you wanted. i've used one for yrs and have another stereo unit in my recording rack. you can't live without one
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Quote by clear and blue
cool thanks for the help all of you

i was attracted to the idea of further tailoring my tone but not if it were to be at the expense of lost dynamics/feel.

any particular pedals you could recommend? fish and chips looks ok, but is there any benefit in getting anything more expensive (MXR)?

I own the Fish N Chips; it's an excellent piece of gear, especially for the price. The MXR (10 band) is pretty much the EQ standard, and from what I've heard, it's well worth the extra cost.
Quote by Mathamology
I own the Fish N Chips; it's an excellent piece of gear, especially for the price. The MXR (10 band) is pretty much the EQ standard, and from what I've heard, it's well worth the extra cost.

in what way is it worth the extra cost? is it just the extra bands or is there something else? you can see a wide range of prices for eqs of the same number of bands, is this due to the cheaper ones sucking tone or just not having the brand name or build quality?
If you're going to spend a decent amount (£100) of money on an eq, get a studio rack mount type one, they're much better value for money.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis

like this?

to be honest i wasnt looking to spend a load of money but at the same time i dont want to buy something that will give me the sound i want, plus a load of noise or lost headroom

hows your behringer?
^ I don't think you need an EQ with that many bands...

Quote by clear and blue
in what way is it worth the extra cost? is it just the extra bands or is there something else? you can see a wide range of prices for eqs of the same number of bands, is this due to the cheaper ones sucking tone or just not having the brand name or build quality?

Here's my analysis of the two. I own the Fish & Chips, by the way.

[b]Fish & Chips           MXR 10                     'Winner'[/b]

[b]Price[/b]         £30                    £99                         Fish & Chips is better value for money
[b]Bands[/b]         7                      10                          MXR has more bands, more control, more tweakable
[b]Features[/b]      Volume control         Volume and gain control     MXR has additional gain control
[b]Build[/b]         Plastic casing, cheap  Metal casing, solid	 MXR has far superior build quality

I think the Danelectro is one of those diamonds in the rough, as far as cheap pedals are concerned, rather than the MXR being over priced because of the name. That's the reason for the price difference.
Yeah, if you're in the UK, the MXR is a rip off, we get them for 120 dollars here, and in that case it's a definitely worth the money.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by clear and blue

like this?

to be honest i wasnt looking to spend a load of money but at the same time i dont want to buy something that will give me the sound i want, plus a load of noise or lost headroom

hows your behringer?

It's only worth getting a big rack EQ if you have a big rack full of gear and 2 or more amps.

As for the Behringer, personally i think it was an excellent buy (only £20!). It is very noisy, but this is only really a problem when playing on a loud clean SS amp. I wanted to get a Danelectro fish'n' chips, but behringer is much more widely available and slightly cheaper. I don't expect it to last long, but at least until I can afford a rack setup.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
yeah that rackmount was kind of a piss take. not bad for $130 USD (£70 odd i think) though is it?

mathamology, i thought you'd just closed the case on this one (i.e. price difference down to fancy metal case etc) until FischmungaXTR says he gets noise with his behringer. your fish and chips ok?

if the dan tremolo i have is anything to go by i guess the fish and chips would be the perfect compromise in that its made like crap (who cares, i can control my body weight and its probably going to be on all the time anyway), but sounds better than adequate.

had issues with the tremolo in effects loop and have to run it off its own powersupply (not daisy chain) but its not much to bear considering the price.

youve been more helpful than i could have hoped so thanks postees. can i be cheeky and ask . . would a side chain type effect loop be a good place to put the eq (bearing in mind that it only receives bout half the signal, but is after the preamp) or would it be better between guitar and amp?

thanks for the help and sorry about the obsessive use of brackets (i just cant help it right now)
Your best bet is to try it both ways. When I had a HRD I ran an OD and an EQ in front of the amp, the EQ sounded terrible in the loop, on the F30 I had I ran it in the loop since it didn't do jack in front of the amp. With my BJr I don't use an EQ at all, in fact if you're willing to pay shipping from the states I could sell you my MXR ten band for cheap, 70 USD which is about 35 GBP? You'll probably get killed on shipping though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not