So my problem is i need a volume boost as Im in a band with two guitarists and I need a little something to push my level a little higher, previously I've used a Boss graphic equalizer through my FX loop on my JCM900 but when this is in place a horrible hissy sound. I know the FX loop really shouldnt be used for this but I only discovered this a few months ago. Why does it make such a noise? Anyway is there anything I can get which will basically jus push my amp up a louder notch, iv used volume pedals but there a bit of a faff to get back to ur "non-solo" volume.

Jim
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk
^ I found that, at higher volumes, my TS9 didn't deliver much more volume through my VK112.

Look into a boost of some description. Also, a well practiced band knows to tone everything else down a little when it comes to the solo
ehx lpd-1 is simple and good for solos. its not a clean boost so it adds a bit of dirt.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by Mathamology
^ I found that, at higher volumes, my TS9 didn't deliver much more volume through my VK112.

Look into a boost of some description. Also, a well practiced band knows to tone everything else down a little when it comes to the solo

Yea, I found the stockers are very low on the level side. Which is one reason I got rid of the two I had and got a bad monkey.. Now modified TS9's are gonna take care of that issue. But a stocker can work it just depends on how you have your rig setup and how much cut through you have in the first place
Quote by Mathamology

Not really, for Blues and (some) rock bands it should usually be the opposite
I have run a EQ in the FX loop for volume boost without noise issues before. I set the EQ flat and the volume at max in a bass amp I have. By itself it wasnt very loud this way it was plenty loud. Used in this way just about anything with a volume knob could be used set the gain to min and the volume high. If you put the pedal in front of the amp it will increase the gain depending on how you set things.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
ehx lpd-1 is simple and good for solos. its not a clean boost so it adds a bit of dirt.

don't you mean lpb-1?

I think its supposed to be clean up to a certain point then it starts to add dirt. Then again, i imagine that's because the amp runs out of headroom, at that point, and it's not actually the pedal adding any dirt - how do you really tell?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
don't you mean lpb-1?

I think its supposed to be clean up to a certain point then it starts to add dirt. Then again, i imagine that's because the amp runs out of headroom, at that point, and it's not actually the pedal adding any dirt - how do you really tell?

The pedal adds the dirt...

Eaxmple...

LPB-1 by itself dirt adds in at about 12 oclock

LPB-1 Plus my other two OD's turned on, dirt still comes in at 12 oclock.

And side note its a great little pedal.. and cheap..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The pedal adds the dirt...

Eaxmple...

LPB-1 by itself dirt adds in at about 12 oclock

LPB-1 Plus my other two OD's turned on, dirt still comes in at 12 oclock.

And side note its a great little pedal.. and cheap..

i just saw a review where the guy gets a pretty clean tone with it on full.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAFlpdBAAo

but nvm this doesn't really contribute to the thread much.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

catalinbread do a criminally expensive clean boost, its like 35db boost or something mad like that

its called the serrano picosso or something
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
well if you're looking for a pedal to help with you're volume i picked up a cheap orion compressor pedal a few months back, and it does the job as well as top of the range equalizers out there, without the horrible feedback
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup the key word was "CLEAN"

i'm confused, a few posts ago you said the pedal adds its own dirt?

i was questioning whether it's actually clipping within the pedal or simply the amp running out of headroom once the pedal boosts the signal past a certain level, therefore all the dirt coming from the amp, as a result of the signal boost, not the pedal itself distorting.

Quote by Blompcube
don't you mean lpb-1?

yes i did, but i think you guys figured that out. i was typing that on my moto q in french class
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Quote by Blompcube
i'm confused, a few posts ago you said the pedal adds its own dirt?

i was questioning whether it's actually clipping within the pedal or simply the amp running out of headroom once the pedal boosts the signal past a certain level, therefore all the dirt coming from the amp, as a result of the signal boost, not the pedal itself distorting.

Yup that it does via a Transistor (aka solid state)... So your getting two waves line level and then the transistor kicks in. As for the clean channel video I cant view the video but more then likely the amp had a ton of headroom and he might have been using low output pickups with the volume turned down on the guitar. You can really hear the pedal come alive when you are using it on the lead channel of an amp with everything maxed. Which is what I was talking about when I stated clean is the key. Clean playing envolves cutting everything down to get a good clean tone vs as solo boost like the ts stated which is a whole lot of line level, gain up, guitar dimed which is when you your really are going to be able to tell what the pedal can do.