Hey, people.

I've just replaced the strings on my Squire Bullet (quintessential novice guitar, I know - but I've only been playing for a year or so). Same gauge strings, same brand.

I've tuned each string with the aid of an electronic keyboard. Each string is perfectly in tune, as far as my ears can tell. Picking out individual notes on individual strings is fine. But when I play a chord, it sounds horribly OUT of tune.

What could be causing this? Thanks in advance.
You don't know how to play a chord?
Intonation could be off.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
are you bending strings with your fretting hand when you make your chord shape?
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
probably intonation if it is actually in tune. try to use the key board to get your E in tune and then tune every string from that one. That way if one is out of tune at least its uniformly out of tune
look at your bridge real quick. is it uneven? if so its probably an intonation problem.
You should check the strings against each other (play 5th fret on one string and the string below it open at the same time). This is the best way to check if they are in tune. You can tell they are not if the sound is a. Majorly different or b. 'Vibrating' (you'll know it when you here it). If the chord sounds out of tune, chances are at least one of your strings is. Btw this method is known as relative tuning and won't be perfect unless your E string is in tune.
I've done the relative tuning thing.

However, does the fact that I use drop-D tuning make any difference?
Quote by fearstrike
look at your bridge real quick. is it uneven? if so its probably an intonation problem.

Yeah, it's very uneven. I don't have the balls to start tampering with it, either
Quote by Ken2012
Yeah, it's very uneven. I don't have the balls to start tampering with it, either

Take it to a Tech. He will fix yo axe.
Hey,

As others have mentioned your intonation is likely off, very likely with that guitar. Here is a link to a video that shows you how to intonate your guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVRCMJLnm4

And by the way the strings at the bridge are generally uneven because they are intonated, the bridge itself however should be level. Send pictures if you would like more help.

Edit: Ya are you compensating for drop-d, if you are not well there is your problem.
or you can click the link in my sig.

SET up Thread. tutorial in first post. with pics.

feel free to ask questions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses.

However, I've discovered something that may be causing issues: The nut is cracked right underneath where the sixth string rests. I removed the string, and sure enough it looks like it's being held together by a shred of plastic (or whatever material it is).

So, the next question is obviously: Where/can I buy a replacement?
in the mean time, a drop of crazy glue sprinkled with baking soda will harden as hard as that plastic nut.
then you wait till it dries and file smooth and for shape, with a toothpick wrapped in light sandpaper.

making sure not to file too low or too close to the fret board side. you want an upward slope, up from headstock to fretboard.

to buy a new nut, you can shop for a precut at most online music stores.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011