I'm looking for a fretless, purely to learn on. And yes, I did use the search bar. A decent sound and a decent feel is all I'm really after, nothing fantastic. I'm thinking maybe the Squire VMF?

I'd also kinda like it to be 5/6 string, since that's what I play fretted and I'll eventually make the jump anyway. But that's not the most important thing to me, a 4 string would do fine.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
That Ibanez looks really nice, but it's sadly a little out of price range. This is a christmas present, so my limit is probably like £300.

I'm pretty set on the VMF, it's just I've heard a lot of bad things about it's ebonal fretboard. So I guess anything in the same price range with a better fretboard would be nice.
Yeah the fingerboard on those just doesn't feel right at all. I second the MIM.
Nope, no sig here.
There aren't any other decent fretless basses out there for under £300 other than the VM Fretless. You'd be lucky to find a MIM Fender fretless. You could buy a second hand MIM and buy a new neck? But that would be way over £300.

Vintage (JHS Company) made a Jaco style bass, I know nothing about it's sound though. It had the usual Wilkinson pick-ups, Wilkinson bridge, etc.

Vintage Icon VJ

And finally, something else out there for £300.

Curbow Fretless

I say stick with the Squier. I'm pretty interested in buying one aswell, gonna try one out soon, hopefully.
I'm pretty sure my local guitar store has the VMF and it I remember seeing some...fretless rockbass for about £300, so I'll go there when I get the time and try them out. I don't really know what I'm looking for, though >_>. Or what I'll be doing at the time! haha.
Quote by RJayZ
I'm pretty sure my local guitar store has the VMF and it I remember seeing some...fretless rockbass for about £300, so I'll go there when I get the time and try them out. I don't really know what I'm looking for, though >_>. Or what I'll be doing at the time! haha.

Another thing about the VM Fretless, it's always cheaper to buy online (In my experience). Last time I was in GuitarGuitar (local guitar store) they were selling it for £225, and Soundcontrol (before they went bust) were charging £275!
Woah, really? I was planning on ordering from thomann.de anyway, seems a fairly reasonable price there. I've no idea how much it is in my local(Dolphin Music).

I'm seriously GASing for this, though. I was never much into the fretless tones of say, Jaco, but man after listening to Sean Malone play on Cynic's new record, and seeing/meeting their live bassist Robin Zielhorst I've just been like a kid in toys r us.
A fan of fretless metal bass, I see. Steve DiGiorgio (sp?) anyone?

Quote by Micehorns

I know a guy with one of those. They're quite good, actually.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
I tried the VMF. it wasn't bad. it's a 300 dollar bass. it's not gonna be perfect.

you could try defretting it yourself, how metal is that?

"In between eating a small child's liver and spearing a fecal demon, I tore those frets out with a pair of rusty pliers and coated that fretboard with some polyurethane they had a sale on at the Home Depot. It was brutal."
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by RJayZ
I could do all of that if I just found a fecal demon.

lol, sigged!
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.