Yes, it's that time of year again and i'm researching what Santa is gonna get me
I've been longing for a good Multi-effects unit for a while now, and I think I found a few good 'uns!!!
At the moment I'm running my Ibanez rg370dx straight to my Hartke half stack (60watts, tube), only occasionaly running it through a crappy Arion SD-1.
I'm looking for something with good ease of use and tone, preferably under £200 ($350-ish). Also, something good for both live and recording.

Here's what I've found so far:

Korg AX3000G
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/67998

Boss ME-50
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/me-50/3917

Zoom G7.1ut
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/zoom-g7.1-ut/68352

Boss ME-20
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72925

The Zoom is the most expensive, but it come with Cubase LE (8 track recording). All other pedal will also be bought with a line 6 Toneport UX1/2.

Thanks guys (and gals)!!!

(ps if you give any suggestions or comments, please give reasons for it please! No comments saying, "Don't buy a Zoom pedal, they're crap!")
hells yeah! he just brought me an early present yesterday! a new ibby 7. that makes 3 now lol.
im a zoom fan. but thats based on my opinion. i like to suggest if ya can try out first and see what you like.
Since the only shop nearby sells the korg and the me-50, those are the only ones that i'll be able to test. That cubase looks really tempting though! lol.

EDIT: btw, the closest guitar shop is over 20 miles away!
Last edited by TheSecondRaid at Nov 25, 2008,
i use alot of various pc programs for recording. i use a zoom multi pedal for alot of my effects. but i also use alot on my pc. what programs are you using to record with?
Quote by jymellis
i use alot of various pc programs for recording. i use a zoom multi pedal for alot of my effects. but i also use alot on my pc. what programs are you using to record with?

The zoom comes with cubase (8 track) while the toneport comes with Ableton Lite (4 Track). However, cubase has a drum program in it but i'm not sure ableton has such a program. It's too expensive for me to record drums, so a program like this will be a plus.
Quote by TheSecondRaid
Since the only shop nearby sells the korg and the me-50, those are the only ones that i'll be able to test. That cubase looks really tempting though! lol.

EDIT: btw, the closest guitar shop is over 20 miles away!

I wouldnt buy it just based on the cubase package. The LE version is chucked in with lots of stuff as it is cut down quite a bit from the proper versions. Before my bands' studio was using SX3 we used LE and was pretty useless as you can only have 2 tracks simultaneously.

Anyway, from past experience the korg's suck, i wouldn't go there, but the ME-50 is apparently not bad so check that out in your shop. Good luck and merry xmas
dont spoil a tube amp with a multi FX sub £500

go for single pedals, its better in the long run, honest
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
dont spoil a tube amp with a multi FX sub £500

go for single pedals, its better in the long run, honest

I think he's ok, its actully a hybrid amp, and it is in need of a pedal or multi FX from my experience with them
Quote by vitchb
I wouldnt buy it just based on the cubase package. The LE version is chucked in with lots of stuff as it is cut down quite a bit from the proper versions. Before my bands' studio was using SX3 we used LE and was pretty useless as you can only have 2 tracks simultaneously.

Anyway, from past experience the korg's suck, i wouldn't go there, but the ME-50 is apparently not bad so check that out in your shop. Good luck and merry xmas

merry xmas to you too
but why do the korg's suck; and what features would you say are good and bad about the cubase.
oh, I forgot to say that i'm looking for very versitile effects, something that can do sliknot, while also handling red hot chili peppers (i.e. californication) etc.
Quote by TheSecondRaid
oh, I forgot to say that i'm looking for very versitile effects, something that can do sliknot, while also handling red hot chili peppers (i.e. californication) etc.

im a zoom fan. i play everything from zztop to meshuggah and it handles it fine. alot of people will throw up the valve card. or its digital, blah,blah. once you have ran it through a pc and turned it into a digital signal its gonna sound digital lol.
Quote by TheSecondRaid

there are next to no effects on californication 0_o

try and picture yourself in the future, when the novelty has worn off, would you use all those effects?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
there are next to no effects on californication 0_o

I thought I could hear some chorus in it, but I just used that as an exaple of the syles I play.
Don't buy a multieffect pedal for the amp models, buy one if you need a lot of effects (like chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, pitch shifter, and you would use them all at the same time), otherwise just buy single pedals, those you would definietly use.

I think an average guitar player doesn't need more than a delay, wah, chorus and maybe flanger.
For Slipknot and Red Hot (although Frusciante has quite a lot pedals) I don't think you'll need so many effects.

If you're not happy with your amp's distortion, then a multieffect won't solve that problem. In that case, I would rather look for a new amp.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
I think there are more cost effective solutions to think about... yes, if you want a wide variety of effects, a multi effect unit probably is a worthwhile investment. I've used that amp quite a lot and it can produce some pretty good results with a decent distortion pedal. (metal muff is good)
I think its unfair for people here to constantly ask people to save up all their life savings on something they didnt really want to get.
Have a try with some different pedals, see what you like the best....
Instead of getting the crap multi pedal and the line 6 ux1/2, get a high end one such as the Boss GT10 or even GT8. Trust me, I have the line 6 gearbox gold, its not total crap, its very usable but in the long run, it will leave you desiring "your" tone. If your buying just for recording, you can even check out Guitar Rig 3.
Schecter Daimen FR Special
Guitar Rig 3
I will be looking for some strange experimental sounds (think muse, ratm etc.) but also some standard hard rock, metal, and shred tones. I'm thinking of uploading some solo work (instrumental or processed voices, i'm not a very good vocalist) to this site, myspace, youtube etc. so thats why I'm looking for quality recording.
I'll also be playing with my band (we're all still in school) live mostly, so a good easy to use pedal is needed.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!!!

EDIT: by proccessed voices, I mean distorted and robot voices (think daft punk). Does anyone know anything that will help me acieve this?
i own the Zoom G7.1ut and i chose it over a Digitech RP500 and Korg AX3000G. although the Korg has very good effects, i did not like the distortions and interface. i liked the Zoom more in terms of its ease of use and also the sound quality. hope this helps.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC