Hey guys,

I've been playing bass for about 5 years casually (with lessons) and i've gotten pretty decent over the years. The thing is, I want to really play bass now. I'm bored with just learning my favourite songs by ear and playing them over and over again on my itunes. I can read music, I write songs, and can play just about anything if I practice it (Jaco, Muse, Chili peppers..you get the deal) but I just wish to take it a step further.

My teacher of 5 years has started his own business for music lessons in his studio and is contemplating me becoming a bass teacher for his younger students who are interested. I need something to impress him with and show him that im ready.

Are there any practices you can reccomend me to drill daily to help me learn to neck inside and out? Any ways to quicken and sharpen my skills when it comes to site (sp?) reading? I'm down for anything right now as im really concentrating on my music studies right now.
i dont see how you showing others to play bass will equate to you REALLY playing bass. if your just now wanting to REALLY play bass why would you "who doesnt REALLY play bass" show other people?
Bass sweeping
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Are you sure you're ready after only 5 years? Couldn't you be like a student bass teacher. Make photocopies for the real teacher and come round to the students and talk condesendingly to them?

/not real advise.

But seriously though do you think you're ready for this because i'd imagine you need to really know your stuff for it.

/real answer
Quote by aaciseric
Are you sure you're ready after only 5 years? Couldn't you be like a student bass teacher. Make photocopies for the real teacher and come round to the students and talk condesendingly to them?

/not real advise.

But seriously though do you think you're ready for this because i'd imagine you need to really know your stuff for it.

/real answer

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a decent bass player, I can keep up with jazz bands, I can site read properly at a higher level, and I know my music theory.

I just want some new challanges and new concepts I can explore
Broaden your musical horizons maybe, and see if your written riffs stand up to the riffs of those you aspire you. IE, if you get into Dream Theater, that's one thing, but your true skill is writing riffs of said quality.

I always find it funny when guitarists/bassists get an instrument and learn to play others songs, it seems kindof pointless beyond a certain "warmup/Jam" level.
play some good improve the only real test is if you can do something good with no general direction
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!