Whats a good tube set up for my B-52 to play a variaty of things, but mainly thrash, prog, and classic 80s metal to classic rock? I e-mailed Doug and he told me this:

"Go with the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's (average). In the preamp, do a Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7 in V1 then chinese 12AX7's in the other 4 spots. Go with a Penta Labs 12AT7 for the reverb. The Sovtek 5AR4 is fine."

So my main question is, are the power tubes good? and what are the best chinese tubes for heavier distortion that clean up well and have quiet microphonics? How are Penta Lab tubes and which are best for rest of preamp section? Penta Labs, Groove Tubes, or whatever else there are chinese tubes wise. I alread dug through and posted at the sticky and didnt really get any help.
I'd say it's a good idea to listen to the guy who does this for a living, rather than come on UG and ask random people who may or may not know what they're talking about.
It's a good set. Get what Doug suggests.
Its just that I've never heard of Penta Labs and wanted someone who has used some of these tubes to kinda tell me of their experience with the tubes. What can I say I'm kinda anal when it comes to spending money, I wanna make sure I'm getting the best for what I need.

*Also what he told me was get some chinese tubes, I would like to know what the most reliable and best tube brand for my situation is.
Penta preamps are pretty good, I put some in my Mark IV and really liked them, similar to Shuguang, I think they're made in the same factory?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
penta's are good but not as good as the Mesa's tubes i put in just recently.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Blacken Seas
penta's are good but not as good as the Mesa's tubes i put in just recently.

Mesa tubes are just, really overpriced, rebranded tubes, most likely Sovteks. Penta and Shuguang are much better imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ok last question. Should I put pentas in the other 4 preamp tubes, or would Shuguang be better or should I mix them up?
Quote by SCopeland24
ok last question. Should I put pentas in the other 4 preamp tubes, or would Shuguang be better or should I mix them up?

I really like Shuguangs, but I've never tried all Pentas before. I'd say getting 2 of each is a safe bet, they're both very similar anyway.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com