Page 1 of 4
This is not only a thread unto itself, but I'd like to divert all these comments from the technical proficiency thread, which Jimi Hendrix is popping up in for some reason. Hence, a thread for musicianship rather than chops. Got somebody whose music gives you the feeling with one note what others take one hundred to say? Bring it here.
This is songwriting, expressive technique or anything, but not lyrics. We're talking guitar music.
I'll kick off with Muddy Waters - just brilliant. Although this thread isn't limited to the blues by any means.

Opinions?
Gary Moore - he really makes the guitar cry with his nice bends and heavy vibrato
David Gilmour
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Your username... it's amazing.

Yup.
Buckethead.

Listen to Soothsayer
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana come to mind.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Just wait for Hendrix to pop up in this.

Paul Kossoff put tons of feel in his guitar work; listen to Free Live and you'll see why.

EDIT: How could I forget Gary Moore! I'm listening to Back On The Streets (the album, cause it rocks) right now!!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Eric Clapton and Michael Schenker for me.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
gonna have to go with David Gilmour

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Buckethead has a lot of soft songs he wrote for his mom, and satch, i dont like his music, but hes real good with guitar emotions
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Eric Clapton and Michael Schenker for me.

Off topic, but don't ya think that Slash is just a ripoff of Michael Schenker? I mean, listen to the Sweet Child O Mine solo, and tell me that that isn't a Schenker solo.

Oh well. I recommend the MSG or UFO to all.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
jimmy page, satch, and david gilmour
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
defidently david gilmour
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
muddy waters
buddy guy
robert johnson
bb king
john frusciante
srv
billy gibbons
Paul Kossoff, Gary Moore and Jeff Beck
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
HENDRIX all day.

Oops. Did I ruin this thread too??

Jimi was way more expressive than he was technical.
Richie Sambora
You haven't made it anywhere until they make an action figure of you.
All the people already mentioned, plus Zakk Wylde and the Young Brothers.

Although they aren't the typical "feel" guitarists, it's hard not to notice that Zakk plays every note with a lot of attitude, and Angus and Malcolm convey more raw energy in a simple riff and solo than most of today's metal bands do in a whole album.
Edit: ^this is a pretty good point - feel is more than having the blues.

I agree with the Gary Moore - and his stuff is interesting as much as it is expressive, because while he knows that he CAN say more with one note than ten, he keeps it interesting by playing said ten notes at a pretty impressive speed anyway.

Also, Joe Walsh, although I think Don Felder did the Hotel California solo, which was the most impressive, although the album it was on, while great, felt a bit commercial.

Edit: The poster below nailed it pretty good too
Buckethead, by far. I have never felt so much emotion from any music. Listen to I Love My Parents, Wishing Well, and Whitewash (Live). Honestly, the man is the god of guitar.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by 1201ZJ
Hendrix, Clapton, Slash, Hammett, Santana

Hammett? Like...Kirk Hammett? Hmm... If "Wah" was an emotion, he'd have it down.

On Topic:
Geez, I don't know. There are so many.

I'd have to say Santana. I get cold chills listening to some of his stuff. Slash, Clapton, SRV, and BB King all put a lot of feeling behind their music, as well.
Feel isn't about bending one note and making orgasm faces. Feel can be agression, passion, ecstacy, nostalgia, misery, hope and all other emotions. Anyone whose guitar playing provokes any emotional response, be it a tear in your eye, or a rush of adrenaline, plays with "feel".

Well, as long is their playing doesn't make you hate them.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
Hammett? Like...Kirk Hammett? Hmm... If "Wah" was an emotion, he'd have it down.

*sig*

Actually, Kerry King makes it pretty damn clear that he is ANGRY. That's an emotion.
beck clapton and gilmour /thread
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Lil Macker
Off topic, but don't ya think that Slash is just a ripoff of Michael Schenker? I mean, listen to the Sweet Child O Mine solo, and tell me that that isn't a Schenker solo.

Oh well. I recommend the MSG or UFO to all.

It could be a cheap Schenker imitation.

I hear some influence but Slash has his own thing going on.

Schenker's thing is just better is all.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Rock Pig
*sig*

Actually, Kerry King makes it pretty damn clear that he is ANGRY. That's an emotion.

Woot. Now I know what it's like to be sigged.

And yes, Kerry King is quite the angry guitarist.
well im stuck somewhere between gary moore and his awesome licks and eric clapton with his pure feeling, depends on what you mean by 'feel' i suppose, claptoon pours out his soul into his songs whenever he plays live, but at the same time gary moore combines his emotions with his songs as he writes them
Quote by Metalfreak777
well im stuck somewhere between gary moore and his awesome licks and eric clapton with his pure feeling, depends on what you mean by 'feel' i suppose, claptoon pours out his soul into his songs whenever he plays live, but at the same time gary moore combines his emotions with his songs as he writes them

I mean both. There's soul in the way you play and in the way you write.

But I stress again, expressiveness is more than just soul - listen to some Barratt era Pink Floyd and it's amazing how much of a look into Syd's mind you get, even if it's not guitar music, really.
Rory Gallagher... By far...
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK