On Velvet Revolver's cover of "I can't get it out of my head"
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjbjNlA2tUQ )

The intro and the chorus have that sort of muted feel to the playing - except it doesn't sound "metal" - is this an effect, or a specific kind of Palm-muting?

Might sound like a daft question, but it's been bugging me

Also - the lead guitar - is it just a wah? Or is there another effect in play?
There's no muting on the guitar.

1 guitar plays power chords, 2nd guitar plays octaves over it.

I think ur confused with the bass which plays staccato 8th notes (bass player doesn't let the notes ring out, but after he played the note he quickly mutes it). That's why it has like a muted feel.

Edit:
So many studio overdubs confuses me

there are at least 5 guitar parts.

1 plays barre chords, the other octaves, 1 plays power chords (overdub) and there's a faint melody line on the b string in between to fill it up (also overdub) And there's an acoustic guitar overdub.

There's no muted guitar anywhere.

Gotta love that modern studiowork

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by gabcd86
Wow :P

Cheers, mate!

Np, If you wanna cover it with 2 guitar players, just take the octaves on a heavy distorted guitar, and play the barre chords on a slight overdriven guitar.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Rasputin92
I've noticed keeping the bass in eq pretty down helps.

Have u even listened to the song TS posted? There's no muted guitar in there. It has a muted feel because the bassplayer plays 8th notes staccato.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Have u even listened to the song TS posted? There's no muted guitar in there. It has a muted feel because the bassplayer plays 8th notes staccato.

No, my PC does not play sound and I'm not too positive buying the album that features that song just to help TS. My too cents though on how to achieve a less muted sound.
Quote by Rasputin92
No, my PC does not play sound and I'm not too positive buying the album that features that song just to help TS. My too cents though on how to achieve a less muted sound.

lol the link to the song(youtube vid) is in his first sentence, but okay. Np dude.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??