I just recently had a physics test (finished about an hour ago) and there was a question that I didn't know how to do. Here is the gist of the question:

A dude walks at a constant speed of 1.5 m/s. He goes up an escalator and it takes him 8 seconds to reach the top, he then continues on with his constant speed of 1.5 m/s, turns around and goes down the same escalator and it takes him 40 seconds. How fast is the escalator moving?

I got an answer of 0.3 m/s.

d = vt
d = (1.5)(8)
d = 12

d = vt
d = (1.5)(40)
d = 60

So the times and distances are a factor of 5 apart, so I divided the velocity by 5. Did I do this correctly?
Mate, its 42. Sorry.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

it cant be, an esculator cant move at 42 m/s

and wont you need the height of the escalator?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by ZanasCross
Nope.

Will have to set it up as:

v=speed of escalator

d=(1.5+v)8
d=(1.5-v)40

You know both of those covers the same distance so you can set them equal.

(1.5+v)8=(1.5-v)40

and solve for v.

The answer is 1m/s.

Nice work mate

and TS, what level phyics are you in?
How the **** did he get down the same escalator he came up? Did it magically change direction?
Quote by AU79 XY
How the **** did he get down the same escalator he came up? Did it magically change direction?

He is being rebellious by walking down the up escalator.....I think.
Quote by landerson
He is being rebellious by walking down the up escalator.....I think.

Outrageous. The question should be rephrase to include the 'dude' getting arrested when he reaches the bottom, for public harassment and disturbing the peace, we wouldn't want the youths to be getting the wrong ideas now would we.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Quote by Encyclopedia
Outrageous. The question should be rephrase to include the 'dude' getting arrested when he reaches the bottom, for public harassment and disturbing the peace, we wouldn't want the youths to be getting the wrong ideas now would we.

Endangering the public for the sake of physics experiments.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was an offence :