The main benifit of a five is the economy of motion given to you by the low B, which is quite usefull. As its you're first bass it's not going to be that much of a difference learning on either really, so I would suggest the five.
id have thought fives would match for playing against 7 string guitars. do they?

so id say 4, for your first one.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
have you ever played them
you should get the one that you prefer before you choose the one who the others prefer
if you're a begginer, you could get the 4 string
if you're intermediate, you could get the five string
but try them and choose what do you think that sounds better and feels better
Hola.
If you think you are going to use the extra notes from the 5 string get that. If your not go with the 4.
Quote by Captain Insano
If you think you are going to use the extra notes from the 5 string get that. If your not go with the 4.

The idea of the extra string isn't really for the extra notes, it's for the economy of motion.
Quote by badgerific
The idea of the extra string isn't really for the extra notes, it's for the economy of motion.

That's some deep ****.. and so true

But yeah, the first bass i bought was a 5 string, best decision ever.
Starting with a five string or six string is advantageous in that it will often force you to use the proper one-finger-per-fret left hand technique, whereas a four string will let you get away with the baseball grip and so can cause bad habits.
I also have another question. Are all amps universal? Like can I play my bass on a my guitar amp? Or do I have to buy a bass amp.
No. You can play guitar through a bass amp (some guitarists prefer this, most do not), but if you play your bass through a guitar amp, you risk blowing the speaker and input circuitry.

As far as the 4 or 5 string question, it's sort of up to you; have you played them both? I've actually never owned a 4-string bass; I went straight from a 3-string (don't ask, haha) to a 5-string, so I was getting used to a high G and low B at the same time - it didn't take that long to adjust. And if you learned on a 5-string, this adjustment time wouldn't exist. 5-strings aren't really harder to play than 4-strings; if that's what you want, there's no problem starting with one. I also have the GSR205, and it's a pretty nice instrument to start on (Ibanez's also don't have the super thick necks that a lot of 5-ers do)
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Quote by DJbonedog
No. You can play guitar through a bass amp (some guitarists prefer this, most do not), but if you play your bass through a guitar amp, you risk blowing the speaker and input circuitry.

Crap, now I have to buy a bass amp, and I'll only have $150. Is there really cheap, but good bass amps?
150 is enough to get an ok practice amp, try the acoustic b20
and with the 5-string you can always just use the low b as a place to anchor your thumb; if you don't mind paying a little extra money i don't see why you wouldn't get the 5-string
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
You can play bass through your guitar amp, just don't crank it, that's what I did until I could afford a good bass amp.

Also I started playing with a 5, it's fun and easier to play if you ask me, but I find when I do play a four it's more difficult as the spaces between strings are much larger and I often play the notes one string higher than they should be