These threads have been made before, but this topic is starting to sprout up in other threads due to someone's ill-concieved sig. This thread, then, is an attempt to keep other threads from being sidtracked.

Here's my attempt to settle the argument once and for all:

"Soul" is not the opposite of technique. Pouring your heart out into music requires the ability to make your instrument sound like you want it to sound. This ability is called technique or skill. Segovia, Reinhardt, Hendrix, and Morello all manage to put lots of "feeling" into their playing, not because they have stronger feelings than other people but because their skill at playing their instruments enables them to express themselves more freely with their music.

In short, more skill = less thinking and less effort = more "feeling".

The problem with this is that a lot of people (especially on this board) have a very narrow definition of "technique". Eric Clapton and Esteban play the guitar two different ways, but they have both devoted their lives to perfecting their technique and have both studied extensively under masters of their art. No, one can't handle the counterpoint of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", and no, the other can't make a blues scale cry like a baby without a whammy bar or a wah-wah, but they've both clearly got oodles of technique.
Death to Ovation haters!
Sounds about right.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Jesus...

Why this ''VS'' ?

Why not be good at both ? Why CAN'T you be both ?
Quote by Ruffus.
Jesus...

Why this ''VS'' ?

This is what I'm saying.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Ruffus.
Jesus...

Why this ''VS'' ?

That when it is the best
for example JFroo
Quote by Ruffus.
Jesus...

Why this ''VS'' ?

I think he said that one creates the other. So it's both.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
You do realize that this has been gone over time and again right?

This won't change anyone's mind, just like it hasn't in the past.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't expect to change anyone's mind. But I hope at least to keep this hackneyed argument from derailing other threads.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by metaldud536
Perfection FTW. Feelings are for girls.

lol

Fellings are what women have; they come from their ovaries!

Quote by PatchworkMan
I don't expect to change anyone's mind. But I hope at least to keep this hackneyed argument from derailing other threads.

Good luck man, I wish such a thing were possible.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think alot of times people confuse "emotion" or "feeling" with good phrasing and creativity. it definantly is possible to be technically very skilled but lack in the creativity
It's quite simple in my opinion: people who don't have good technique or the ambition or patience to develop it, are simply jealous and want to bring those who do have good technique to their level. You'll notice this in someone who says stuff like "oh, [good guitarist] plays fast / accurately / cleanly /etc, but his music doesn't have emotion" or something similar.
Good explanation. Indeed, very good explanation.

But all those carefully picked arguments can and will be ignored on an internet forum.

EDIT:
I'd like to add to something to the OP:
Sadness is not the only emotion there is. There is also joy, excitement, anger and many others that can be expressed through music. A metal song that makes you all pumped-up is just as emotional as a heart tearing ballad, a fun tune that makes you want to dance is just as emotional as a good blues solo.
People tend to ignore this.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by metaldud536
Perfection FTW. Feelings are for girls.

Seriously though, all this thread is going to do is attract the anti-shred fag militias who absolutely lack the capacity to ATLEAST acknowledge the skill, dedication and passion for instrument it takes to get to that level.
Quote by Mad Marius
It's quite simple in my opinion: people who don't have good technique or the ambition or patience to develop it, are simply jealous and want to bring those who do have good technique to their level. You'll notice this in someone who says stuff like "oh, [good guitarist] plays fast / accurately / cleanly /etc, but his music doesn't have emotion" or something similar.

Not always, in my experience people more often than not actually feel that way and there is nothing you can do to change their minds.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Nice job, but nobody really cares. =/ This won't solve ****.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
i'm so tired of this crap, everyone knows that anything more complicated than a three chord pop progression is completely incapable of expressing any sort of feeling.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Mad Marius

I don't think that's always the case. It's sometimes the case, but there is plenty of HAY GUISE LOOK HOW FAST I CAN PLAY music out there that's just boring as all hell.
Death to Ovation haters!
is jesu, joy of mans desiring not leo kottke... he did it first i think
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
I think the entire "feeling vs. emotion" argument is fueled by people who think they need a good reason not to like a song. Or by elitists who don't know what they're talking about (myself included).
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this thread has been done four hundred thousand times and goes nowhere.

Drag up the last one if you're that bothered.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish