I've got an epiphone cherry red SG G-400 that I'm looking to upgrade the bridge pickup on. It currently has the stock epiphone humbucker pickup. I only play with the bridge pickup, so I'm leaving the neck alone.

I'm focusing on playing any variation of rock - mostly heavier music (anything ac/dc to atreyu) and need some cleaner sound (think hawthorne heights... I know.) and also a strict punk sound (ramones to anti flag)

Anyway, all these need to sound good and I'm not on much of a budget. I would have someone else install the pickup because I'm too stupid to do it.

I know it'll look kinda dumb to have two completely different pickup, but I really wanna upgrade, and would rather ask for it for christmas than anything else.

Thanks!
Either that or a Duncan Distortion (SH-6).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Seymour Duncan JB, Custom, or Custom Custom.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
Thanks fret, i really like what i'm seeing with that SD custom.

Will this fit into my g-400? stupid question I know
Hmm. I really like that SD.

What about a gibson pickup? keeping in mind that money isn't really an issue, what do you think about the gibson 500T?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-500T-Super-Ceramic-Bridge-Humbucker?sku=306083

I don't care TOO much about clean, but it just can't sound like total crap. Mostly I want to get really good tone with heavy punk sound.

My amp is a VOX 2-12 valvetronix XL
Gibson pickups are overpriced, don't bother...the Duncan Custom is pretty much spot on for what you want, or maybe the Custom 5.

And start using your neck pickup, you're missing out on a lot of sounds...it's the better choice for clean tones for starters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
alright cool

yeah... I seriously NEVER use the neck pup. It's muddy as all hell i suppose it's kinda messed up. I just like the bright non-broken sound of my bridge!

So, the neck is mostly used for clean? Like for chords or more single notes, or both?

Thanks for all the advice too, it's really helpful - sorry i don't know crap about pups
Quote by motleyglam82
alright cool

yeah... I seriously NEVER use the neck pup. It's muddy as all hell i suppose it's kinda messed up. I just like the bright non-broken sound of my bridge!

So, the neck is mostly used for clean? Like for chords or more single notes, or both?

Thanks for all the advice too, it's really helpful - sorry i don't know crap about pups

Check the height of the neck pickup - it'll sound muddy if it's too close to the strings, or it may just me that the bass side needs lowering a bit, just play around with the height and see what difference it makes to the sound. It might not sound great through heavy distortion either, but good for lower gain and clean tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
okay, I'll try messing with the height.

Probably in January or February I'll start looking for a neck pup to complement the bridge. Two really nice ones in this guitar should make it sound pretty damn good.

Currently, though, my guitar is being fixed because it came off the strap and the head snapped off... now I see why people spend 2 bucks on straplocks...
Seymour Duncan JB, Dimarzio Evo 2, also look into Bare Knuckle, I've never heard a bad word about them.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
I was actually going to say the SD Custom 5, but I figured you'd want something with more output.

As for the 500T, they are REALLY bright. I have heard that it's hard to get a smooth clean sound out of it. If that's alright with you, then go for it. I dig the sound of Explorers and V's.
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
Quote by jetfuel495
indeed, most pickups will fit into your guitar

just cause.........

Wowee!

I suggest

a) sh-6
b) dimarzio super distortion
c) look at some gfs pickups (ehv, crunchyrails, powerails, crunchypat)

ohh and
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by steven seagull
Gibson pickups are overpriced, don't bother...the Duncan Custom is pretty much spot on for what you want, or maybe the Custom 5.

And start using your neck pickup, you're missing out on a lot of sounds...it's the better choice for clean tones for starters.

+1 good advice and suggestions.

What's your amp, threadtstarter?
Quote by forsaknazrael
+1 good advice and suggestions.

What's your amp, threadtstarter?

I have a VOX valvetronix 50W XL.