Hello, I would like to start recording some of my acoustic playing. But i have no idea where to start, would someone guide me please. Like i wanna have a mic i guess and record into my computer and edit it if possible, what could i buy to do this thats not over 500 bucks.

thank you
what kind of acoustic stuff are you recording?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
DigiDesign MBox 2 comes with ProTools LE. It's a pretty good buy, if you ask me. I think it retails for $350 and offers two channels plus midi input so you have room to grow. For mics, I have the MXL 990/991 pack. Two mics for $99 (or less). You could use one mic on the guitar and one on vocals if you sing. Otherwise, use one mic near the soundhole and one near the bridge or one for the soundhole and one for the room.

Also, the mbox comes with Reason Adapted and some other programs.
When I record acoustic I plug in a Shure 57 mic into my computer's line-in and record it into GarageBand.

It's pretty simple, and sounds decent for cheap. 57's aren't too expensive and they're bullet proof.

If you don't have GarageBand you can download Audacity or you may even have something like CakeWalk which works pretty well.

Hope I helped!
why would he use one on the soundhole and one near the bridge? it'll give you a better sound if you have one at the bridge and one at around the 12th fret, but yea everyone doe it differently.

also what guitar do you have? (to TS)
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
im using a Seagull Performer dreadnaught cutaway, its a Canadian guitar. Im also using a pc not a mac which kinda sucks but o well. Can u just buy a mic and plug it into your computer and use some recording software for good sound? also, can u use guitar rig for a acoustic?
its an electro acoustic yes? try just direct inputing it into your computer and using audacity to record it to see how that turns out before splurging on a mic.
yea its elec, aight will do, but what do i connect with the computer from my guitar with?
you can get leads that will go into your guitar then have a smaller part the other end, same size as a headphone jack, to plug into your computer. I can't for the life of me remember what they are called, 1/4 to 3.5mm maybe, il have a look...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2M-3-5MM-PLUG-TO-6-35MM-1-4-JACK-ADAPTER-EXTENSION-LEAD_W0QQitemZ310098038842QQihZ021QQcategoryZ295QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Last edited by rhysm at Nov 25, 2008,
An electric/acoustic will almost invariably sound best with a mic in front of it. Don't fret about not having a Mac. Any software available for Mac and PC all works the same.... ProTools, Cubase, etc. Doesn't matter. Mac won't give you better sound or functionality, all other things being equal.

A condensor mic will *generally* sound nicer than a dynamic like the SM57.

Don't point it too close to the sound hole, or it will sound boomy. Aim the mic more at the 12th fret and a couple feet out from the guitar is better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ah alright, when u buy a condenser mic though, will i be able to plug it right into my computer ?
No. Read the stickies. You'll need an audio interface with phantom power to power the condenser microphone.
There is poetry in despair.