bands that became really popular in their time without selling out..as in mainstream

Page 1 of 3
Pavement
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Blue Oyster Cult, for a very short time.

Yes

Steely Dan

Chicago

The Eagles

Genesis
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Zeppelin is the most obvious....

no tv shows, no crap interviews with lame magazines.....
Linkin Park. I don't care what anybody else says, Minutes to Midnight was not a sell-out album
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Sabbath
Metallica until AJFA...
Anthrax
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Radiohead?
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Linkin Park. I don't care what anybody else says, Minutes to Midnight was not a sell-out album

Linkin Park is the definition of sellout.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Slayer
Children of Bodom
Pantera
Death
Guns N Roses
Motley Crue
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
What do you define as "selling out?" To me, selling out is doing something you don't want to do, something you find distasteful or meaningless, and being paid a substantial amount of money or popularity for doing it. And to me, Nirvana never did anything like that, so I have to disagree with your notion of them selling out, TS.

I would think that the Goo Goo Dolls didn't sell out until the early 21st century, so that's my entry.
Quote by HohnJ723
RHCP

WHAT!? they're probley the bigest sellouts I can think of!!

INXS
Cold Chisel
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

Yes it was. They hopped onto the nu-metal bandwagon and then completely changed their style to remove all traces of it once it died, except for like, 2 songs.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Powerhouse
What do you define as "selling out?" To me, selling out is doing something you don't want to do, something you find distasteful or meaningless, and being paid a substantial amount of money or popularity for doing it. And to me, Nirvana never did anything like that, so I have to disagree with your notion of them selling out, TS.

I would think that the Goo Goo Dolls didn't sell out until the early 21st century, so that's my entry.

I believe selling out is completley changing your music style to be popular and ignoring your roots. Like metallica for example, they created the genre of thrash metal with megadeth, slayer, and anthrax, because they hated softer rock bands of the time but then they made their music softer thus ignoring their roots and becoming that which their band was created to fight against.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I believe selling out is completley changing your music style to be popular and ignoring your roots. Like metallica for example, they created the genre of thrash metal with megadeth, slayer, and anthrax, because they hated softer rock bands of the time but then they made their music softer thus ignoring their roots and becoming that which their band was created to fight against.

exactly.

And the question is not, what bands didnt sell out, its what bands didnt sell out YET were still all over mtv and the radio.
Quote by gunners fan
WHAT!? they're probley the bigest sellouts I can think of!!

INXS
Cold Chisel

imo their music is very unique. Every member in the band (excpet Chad Smith) has a style of playing that isn't used a lot by other bands.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Slayer
Children of Bodom
Pantera
Death
Guns N Roses
Motley Crue

Bodom sold out with AYDY and Blooddrunk.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by Guitarist132
brand new

I'll second that one. Just because they are amazing.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by HohnJ723
imo their music is very unique. Every member in the band (excpet Chad Smith) has a style of playing that isn't used a lot by other bands.

You have yet to see Chad's full potential.

You should do some research on YouTube.
Quote by Wulphy
Linkin Park is the definition of sellout.

Agreed!

Apart from mabye Silverchair,
For any Non-Aussies that don't know who silverchair are they where a huge Aussie Grunge band in the mid-late '90s did four awsome albums (Frogstomp, Freakshow, Neon Ballroom & Diarama) after which they took an exended break due to the lead singer suffering from Anorexia & assosiated health problems, before re-grouping & releasing their "Sellout" album (Young Modern) last year which saw them go from grunge to soft **** pop-rock!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Wow.

You know, even people in bands have to make some fucking money, man. Give them a break. If they keep giving a small group of people what they want to hear, instead of a huge group, they aren't going to make any money. This is Capitalism, get the fuck used to it already.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Jericho114
I'll second that one. Just because they are amazing.

Thirded.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by xD3vourm3nTx
I'm not a fan of them,
but Nine inch Nails.

This. But I'm a fan of Reznor.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by cr4ni0
You have yet to see Chad's full potential.

You should do some research on YouTube.

I'm just talking about his songs, I'm sure he wasn't "hired" for his generic beats.
btw my speakers don't work
Quote by Wulphy
Wow.

You know, even people in bands have to make some fucking money, man. Give them a break. If they keep giving a small group of people what they want to hear, instead of a huge group, they aren't going to make any money. This is Capitalism, get the fuck used to it already.

Dude, you're right in one point. But people who do that aren't music lovers. They are just entertainers. I play the music I love not the music the others want to hear me playing.
Quote by Wulphy
Wow.

But look at bands like SLAYER they made alot of money but also stuck to their roots and didnt sell out.

EDIT: Also look at my favorite band GNR, they couldve went the hairmetal route just to make alot of money quick but they stuck to the music that they loved and they are still considered one of the most successful bands of all time.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by HohnJ723

Sorry but if "Hump de Bump" wasn't a great example of selling out Idk what is!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Quote by Wulphy
Wow.

plenty of bands make decent money without selling out. Stop making excuses for crappy corporate machine bands.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
By the way, I know the topic isn't really this, but the biggest sell-outs I can think of right now are Green Day.
Page 1 of 3