I want to start learing how to improvise metal solos but i don't know what scales to use.

Any help?
I already have but i find it doesn't really work that well with metal due to the lack of flats and sharps in it.
Quote by Virage
I already have but i find it doesn't really work that well with metal due to the lack of flats and sharps in it.
It works, dude. You just have to learn to use it.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
harmonic minor

Quote by Virage

perhaps you need to up your learning skills then...
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Alright guys sorry for not being up to scratch on my theory as i've never been bothered to learn any but thanks anyway.
Quote by GuitarFreak664
Harmonic minors are good for metal. And a lot of times a dorian scale works (flat 3, flat 6, dominant 7)

You're thinking of the aeolian.

The dorian is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7.
Can we start banning people who make these threads?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yay another lameeeeeeeeeee question.

Name ARTISTS or SONGS that you like the solo's/sound from and post em. Then we can help in ANAZLYZING what scales they used, so YOU can get that sound.

I've heard happy metal, death metal and even country metal and chromatic metal and math metal and etc. I have no clue which metal you mean.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It must be quite disheartening for a music theory n00b to think he's taking the right route (i.e. learning theory) and not 'taking a short cut' only to find out that if he simply just wants 'the right scale to use' he's still not doing it right.

TS, just work on your natural and harmonic minors and do some serious brushing up on your scales theory. I don't think you're ready for modes, but they'll do great for metal music.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by Orbit91
Learn all you can about the Minor scale, and go from there.
Fucking RAGE.

Metal is NOT based around minor scales. Metal solos are based around blues. Yes BLUES. The faggots that actually played real metal (I don't give a shit about the losers that played "metal" after metallica fell, it's just not the same and doesnt feel the same) metal were all BLUES and JAZZ musicians and were not classically trained as true minor scales are in the relm of classical music. The first classical guy to enter metal and apply classical to metal was Rhandy and he still sounded like he was using the blues.

Learn your 'minor pentatonics' (to the MT regs: minor pentatonics should be used as altered dominant scales in metal, I'm sure you all know what I mean), as in, to such a stage you are doing more than wanking, and learn your accidentals and use them without sounding laid back. Learn some aggressive phrasing, as to get new sounds in blues it's more about using a new style of phrasing instead of a new scale.

And FFS, it's fine when you eat a newb for being arrogant, but this T/S was fine. No arrogance, just an honest question and he didn't want to spend 30 minutes searching the forum. It's the fools with their "mynah scalz lul" and their elitism that destroyed this thread.

I don't think you're ready for modes
Fuck I hate it when people say "you are not ready." How the fuck do you know?

Sorry for raging, but cmon guys. At least try to be helpfull?
^How the fuck do I know? I don't. I said I didn't think he was ready for modes. This assumption was based on the fact that he barely has a grasp of scales.

EDIT: I also doubt he's speaking about the metal that was blues inspired. It's far more likely that he's speaking about more modern metal, which sure as hell doesn't sound even remotely like blues.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Last edited by JamesDouglas at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by JamesDouglas
^How the fuck do I know? I don't. I said I didn't think he was ready for modes. This assumption was based on the fact that he barely has a grasp of scales.

EDIT: I also doubt he's speaking about the metal that was blues inspired. It's far more likely that he's speaking about more modern metal, which sure as hell doesn't sound even remotely like blues.

But it's only an assumption.

You have so many different genres of metal, and i've seen every scale played.

Jazz Metal, melodic metal, Death metal, oldskool metal, country metal, math metal, modern metal, metalcore, black metal, etc.

"Metal" just implies heavy distinct guitar's and heavy riffing; not a set scale.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^My bet is that TS is referring to Death Metal or Thrash Metal.

We shall have to wait and see, I suppose.
Quote by JamesDouglas
I also doubt he's speaking about the metal that was blues inspired. It's far more likely that he's speaking about more modern metal, which sure as hell doesn't sound even remotely like blues.
I will only ever talk about the metal Judas Priest and Black Sabbath created. A godly music which feels sort of like getting jacked off by the hottest girl you've never met.

Most metal bands formed after '99 are a failure. Chugged riffs, lame cliched melodies and wankery solos filled with arpeggios without anything really interesting. There T/S, play arpeggios up and down and hit single notes really fast. Theres your post '99 metal.

There is only one true metal.
^Ok, I understand your point of view. But I think you've got the wrong thread if you want to discuss the purity of the metal genre.
Quote by demonofthenight
I will only ever talk about the metal Judas Priest and Black Sabbath created. A godly music which feels sort of like getting jacked off by the hottest girl you've never met.

Most metal bands formed after '99 are a failure. Chugged riffs, lame cliched melodies and wankery solos filled with arpeggios without anything really interesting. There T/S, play arpeggios up and down and hit single notes really fast. Theres your post '99 metal.

There is only one true metal.

Wait, what about Judas Priest as in like... Painkiller? The solo in that doesn't exactly sound bluesy...?

But, anyway, I agree with your view on blues. I'd say to the TS the best thing to learn is the pentatonic minor scale and then learn how the blue notes affect the sound of the scale, so he can learn how to put forth the evil into his music.

But really, other good scales to learn would be the Arabian and the Gypsy scales. Just because they sound so different compared to the more commonly used Western scales, and the blue notes are a lot more prevelant.

Would your list of lame bands formed after '99 include Mastodon? I hope not. I love them.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by JamesDouglas
^Ok, I understand your point of view. But I think you've got the wrong thread if you want to discuss the purity of the metal genre.

Agreed. Also I think half the reason some of the guys here are being 'elitist' is because TS said he's learnt the minor scale, then proceeded to say that it doesn't have enough sharps and flats, thereby indicating that he really doesn't understand what he's talking about properly.
sig goes here