Just a quick computer question, i am trying to figure out. I have a Dell 1525 laptop and just bought Age of Empires III. I don't think it is running as fast as it should. I'm not exactly sure what kind of video card this laptop has, but does anyone think it is the video card, and if so does anyone know what the compatibility of other ones are for Dells?
Thrashing is my business and business is good
what is with people asking us questions based on the manufacturer?
Have you lowered all of your settings in game?
if you have then your laptop probably can't handle the game.
I was thinking that too, but you would think that a laptop which isn't even a year old could handle a game made three/four years ago.
AoEIII requires dedicated graphics. Your Dell probably has onboard.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GL1564
I was thinking that too, but you would think that a laptop which isn't even a year old could handle a game made three/four years ago.

Doesn't matter how old your laptop is. Even some laptops released this year are packaged with integrated graphics processors which means you probably won't be able to play any new games.

Try this: type (WIN+R) in your keyboard and type 'dxdiag' in the 'Run' dialogue box, this should give you info about your GPU (look under the video tab).
Quote by GL1564

If it has a dedicated graphics card then yes we would assume that it could run games made in the last couple of years, although if you are running on intergrated graphics then it is unlikely youll be able to play any modern games at a decent resoloution.

As for your question regarding yourgraphics card type, that model of laptop could have either a dedicated or intergrate as dells are customised the specs would vastly differ from similar models.
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
Quote by GL1564
onboard??

An integrated GPU that's build on your motherboard, instead of a separate dedicated GPU.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you right click on the desktop and then click on Properties, you can find out what type of video card is installed. Dell also has a utility that lets you check the configuration of the PC.
You can also try this site to see if you can run a certain game or not, it's pretty accurate most of the time.

Edit: ^ what OS are you using? In windows that only gives you your processor, RAM, and system architecture (+ a ****ty windows experience index for me, lol).
Last edited by acersucks at Nov 25, 2008,
heres what it says I have

Driver Version: 7.14.10.1409
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium* , Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 3061 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 358 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 155 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Speed: 1995 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2A02
Device Revision: 0C

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS: 1566
Current Graphics Mode: 1280 by 800 True Color (60 Hz)

Can anyone recommend a decent video card for a Dell?
Ahh, yet another victim to suffer from Intel's GMA series. Are you saying you had problems running AoE III? I had it running on my GMA 950 with 256MB shared VRAM perfectly at 800x600 with full details.

And you can't really upgrade the graphics card for your laptop. I mean, it's not impossible, but it would be very hard to find one, and most of the time your chipset won't even support the card.

Edit: try disabling Aero when you play games in Vista, it'll increase performance with integrated chipsets.
I have that.
It's integrated video card. **** for games. Turn all your settings to lowest and you will be fine. Soon enough you can bring a few things up and still keep your proeformance. I played it beat it, unistalled so I cant remember my settings. But lowest = best preformance As for your graphics card. It cannot be upgraded. I've already called and checked unfortunatley...

Also, here is a trick to speed up your boot. it's not even a "trick" but mist people dont know this...i dont know why the don't have this check initially, but. Here

Go to run...type in "msconfig" (no quotes) go to the boot tab at the top, click on advanced options...under number of proceccors, change it to two, and check off the box...
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Last edited by hyroglyph!c at Nov 25, 2008,
thanks aceersucks, i went to the website and it is my videocard it says I have
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family)
which is just short of the minimum requirements that I need. Does anyone know of any good video cards for a Dell?

EDIT: What about for a HP 533w PC?? Will most video cards be easy to find for that?
Quote by GL1564
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family)
which is just short of the minimum requirements that I need. Does anyone know of any good video cards for a Dell?

You can't upgrade graphics processor on a laptop. You can only do that for desktop computers. The only way you can solve this problem would be to either:

1. Install and play the game on a desktop computer with a dedicated GPU
2. Buy a high-end laptop such as MacBook Pro or Dell XPS or Asus with dedicated GPU.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GL1564

EDIT: What about for a HP 533w PC?? Will most video cards be easy to find for that?

You have a laptop right? You won't be able to upgrade an integrated graphics card.

Or are you asking for a good card for a desktop computer?
Oh and just so you know, graphics cards aren't made specifically for manufacturers, they're made to be supported by certain motherboards.
Quote by acersucks
You have a laptop right? You won't be able to upgrade an integrated graphics card.

Or are you asking for a good card for a desktop computer?
Oh and just so you know, graphics cards aren't made specifically for manufacturers, they're made to be supported by certain motherboards.

This...Its usually PCI, PCI-E or AGP...
As for your laptop, as most of us said, the Dell Integrated cards can't be changed, not for your model atleast.
Quote by Sloopy
I do have a laptop but now that I know nothign can be done about that I am thinkign about upgrading my PC. It's an HP 533w, 2002.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
This...Its usually PCI, PCI-E or AGP...
As for your laptop, as most of us said, the Dell Integrated cards can't be changed, not for your model atleast.

And make sure your PSU can handle the graphics card. You don't want to install a brand spankin' new card and find that your system crashes because your power supply can't support it. If you're going to get a mid-end card, you probably won't need a PSU that powerful.

I don't know too much about gfx cards, so I can't give you specific voltages to look for in your PSU.

Edit:
Quote by GL1564
I do have a laptop but now that I know nothign can be done about that I am thinkign about upgrading my PC. It's an HP 533w, 2002.

What are the specs of that PC? If it's that old, I would recommend just buying a new mid-end computer instead of upgrading that one. Just look for those with nVidia or ATI cards with at least 256MB of dedicated video memory.
Quote by GL1564

You gotta find out what kind of expansion slot your PC has. It could be PCI, PCI- Express, or AGP. I don't think it will be an expensive upgrade anyways.
Nice, but would that solve the fact that the video card is under the minimum too? It says I have a Intel (R) 82845G/GL Graphics controller. It also says that the video RAM required is 64mb and I have 52 mb and that I don't have video HW transform and lighting.
Quote by GL1564

You have to be careful. Your motherboard may be outdated and not able to recognize nVidia's current series such as the geforce 8 and 9.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
How can I check to make sure everything will be compatible with my motherboard?
Quote by GL1564
Nice, but would that solve the fact that the video card is under the minimum too? It says I have a Intel (R) 82845G/GL Graphics controller. It also says that the video RAM required is 64mb and I have 52 mb and that I don't have video HW transform and lighting.

Are we talking about your HP now? The GMA cards don't support hardware transform and lighting. All of the new dedicated cards do support this feature.

Edit:
Quote by GL1564
How can I check to make sure everything will be compatible with my motherboard?

Unless you wanna open your tower up, you can download a third-party tool like CPU-Z to check your motherboard model and look it up on the internet to check what kind of slots it has and other specs like FSB.

But like Xiaoxi said, I doubt it'll support any new cards if it's that old.
yes this is the HP. So basically I need to get a new dedicated card right?
Yes, new dedicated card, but I don't recommend upgrading your old PC, it'd make way more sense to buy a new one. The FSB on that motherboard will probably cause a lot of lag during gameplay and I can't see it having more than 700MB of RAM. I'll also assume it has a single core processor.

With a new computer, you can expect to run new games at low resoloutions/settings at lowest.

Edit:
Quote by hyroglyph!c
Also, here is a trick to speed up your boot. it's not even a "trick" but mist people dont know this...i dont know why the don't have this check initially, but. Here

Go to run...type in "msconfig" (no quotes) go to the boot tab at the top, click on advanced options...under number of proceccors, change it to two, and check off the box...

Actually, (assuming Vista as the OS), Vista will use two cores at boot, but in a quad configuration, it might spare 2 of the cores. I've tried this 'trick' and it might modify other registry hacks you have applied, and give you pretty much the same speed.
right i think i might end up doing that...it makes a lot more sense, since my HP is 6 years old and all
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Go here, download the little program (you dont have to install it)

It's not too expensive to build a new pc. The pc my parents bought in 2006 cost about $1000 and I built mines this summer and was about $600 (with monitor) in total and basically owns the $1000 pc.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Nov 25, 2008,
Just make a new system man. Build it yourself. Will be cheaper, depening on wha tyou get.
Quote by Sloopy
A new system? The thing is I have no idea how to build a computer. It probably would be a lot cheaper thoguh.
Quote by GL1564
A new system? The thing is I have no idea how to build a computer. It probably would be a lot cheaper thoguh.

It's not hard. I think the hardest part is the case. The power button on the case and the lights on the case all have cables that need to be put into the motherboard and it can get confusing.
If you're not comfortable with building your own system, you can find some decent $500-700 desktop PCs at Best Buy. Prices will probably be a bit lower for you seeing as I'm in Canada.
the motherboard for the HP is a ASUSTeK Computer INC model number P4G533LA REV 1 .xx

Theres more info but honestly I dont' know which is the important stuff
plus I could alaways find a good deal on ebay i bet
Quote by GL1564

Yea your motherboard's kinda old. Uses a PCI slot. There are no good graphics card for the PCI slot that I'm aware of. Get a new pc.
Quote by GL1564

No.

Buy from www.newegg.com

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
thanks guys, you saved me a lot of time