Hey everyone,
I recently created my first thread here, it was asking which guitar I should buy in my price range, with good floyd rose locking trem and some good metal tone.

I was guided by some helpful people here towards this guitar:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/ibanez_s320wk.htm

I also purchased a new amp very recently:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/roland_cube_60_modelling_gitarrencombo.htm

Anyway, to get to the point of this thread, since I have a new guitar and amp I would really like to know your opinions on which is the best distortion for me.

I play metal.. prog metal.. death metal.. (theres a link to some of my music on my sig) I want a really nice heavy distortion that still sounds defined for riffs and soloing. Also with alot of nice tone and alot of gain for harmonic pinching as I tend to abuse this technique a little.

At the moment I am using a boss mt-2 (metal zone), also the some of the distortions on the cube sound pretty good, I could get a footswitch for it but I wanted to get some opinions first.

Thanks in advance!
i hear zakk wyldes pedal is killer alot of people in guitar world interviews use that in their line
electro harmonix metal muff with top boost
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Modeling amps don't usually take to well to pedals. And an overdrive like ^^ recommended won't do anything except cause a bunch of unwanted clipping. Just use the distortion on the amp, it's pretty good.

Very nice playing btw.
I agree about the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff. I have one and its great.
As a side note (and I know this wasn't really what you were asking...) to nail the heavy metal/prog sound, you will ultimately need a bigger amp/cab. If your amp has a speaker out, that would work. Although I know the Roland Cube sounds great, it doesn't have the power that is usually necessary for that kind of music.

My two cents...
Best of luck!
Quote by RazorbackRR1
i hear zakk wyldes pedal is killer alot of people in guitar world interviews use that in their line

Quite renowned pedals, very versatile. But it your situation it might be best to use your amps distortion and go get a foot switch for it.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Thanks guys, i've heard some good things about the metal muff and zakk wyldes pedal.

@ which ones pink:
So if I use a distortion pedal on the clean channel of my cube it will clip?

Maybe I should get a footswitch for it, was thinking of getting:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/boss_fs5u.htm

Does anyone know if there is cheaper footswitches that work with the cube or is it just the boss ones?

Also, can anyone recommend a good noise gate or compression pedal (I dont really know too much about these pedals). Basically I just want to get rid of any feedback when I stop playing
Sansamp gt-2 or amt california pedal.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Yep will agree, metal muff with top boost is the way to go just make sure you buy the adapter.
Practice makes perfect... but why practice... nobody's perfect.
AMT California sound. Perfect for metal. Absolutely smokes the boss pedals including the MT2 which I had.
Quote by Barry_C
Is the metal muff vastly superior to the boss mt-2? Any problems with feedback from it?

No. Because it depends on the preference of the user.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Personally I much prefer the MT-2 over the metal muff. The metal muff is fuzzy and tinny, whereas the MT-2 sounds like a marshall full stack on max vol/gain i.e very valve sounding.

However the MT-2 does lack bass, get the keeley modded version if you want that, or turn up the bass on your amp.

Also, you don't want your amp to clip, clipping on a transistor amp is bad. The pedal will produce the distortion alone.
Ibanez RG1570
Laney VC15
Boss CH-1 MT-2 EQ-7 CS-3 NS-2
Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol