I wanna buy my little sis an acoustic, because I want her to get started young. She always try to play mine but it is too big. Is six to young to play guitar, and are there guitars that small?
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
No,.. six is just alright,..
You cud see if she can hold a three quarter guitar... if she can't then get her the one-half guitar,.. that one is pretty small,..

I think that buying her an acoustic and forcing her to play it is definitely the wrong way to go about it. I realize that she plays yours all the time, but for how long? Honestly, my friend started when he was 6.... but didnt REALLY start playing until he was 9 or 10

There is a difference. I mean, it can't hurt....but if YOU want her to start young....don't expect her to stick with it very long... I have seen FAR too many cases where parents and siblings tell their kids/siblings to start playing in the meantime that child has shown no interest...and it never comes back....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I think that buying her an acoustic and forcing her to play it is definitely the wrong way to go about it. I realize that she plays yours all the time, but for how long? Honestly, my friend started when he was 6.... but didnt REALLY start playing until he was 9 or 10

There is a difference. I mean, it can't hurt....but if YOU want her to start young....don't expect her to stick with it very long... I have seen FAR too many cases where parents and siblings tell their kids/siblings to start playing in the meantime that child has shown no interest...and it never comes back....

well since she can barely hold it, she will strum open and stuff. I'm not forcing her. I wouldn't. But she will watch me play for a long time. She can kinda play the Ironman intro, but she just doesn't have the reach.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by dubstar92
well since she can barely hold it, she will strum open and stuff. I'm not forcing her. I wouldn't. But she will watch me play for a long time. She can kinda play the Ironman intro, but she just doesn't have the reach.

lol

Well, i dunno, 3/4 size acoustics you can get for like under 100$....same with 1/2 size...

Either way... you can play it if she doesnt lol
Quote by Brendan.Clace
lol

Well, i dunno, 3/4 size acoustics you can get for like under 100$....same with 1/2 size...

Either way... you can play it if she doesnt lol

I figured that I could get one that was cheap and small, so if once she had the right size and she didn't continue, it wouldn't set me back that much. (I actually wish she would learn violin, so I could steal it and play, but she wants guitar)
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by dubstar92
I figured that I could get one that was cheap and small, so if once she had the right size and she didn't continue, it wouldn't set me back that much. (I actually wish she would learn violin, so I could steal it and play, but she wants guitar)

LOL

My g/f plays violin and i grab it when i can hahahaha

But no, it wont set you back taht much... and hey... who knows... she could hate it now... and pick it up 3 years down the road and be a virtuoso by 12 :P
Mandolin? Uke? Those could also be played by either of you since their sizes are typically standardized.
As for 6 being too young, the answer is no. Nor is 60 too old to start playing guitar. She obviously want's to play and is already trying. Maybe take a look at one of those pint sized Strats. It doesn't have to be an acoustic does it? An electric at that age is certainly going to be easier to hold and play, especially because of the lighter gauge strings. They're bound to be easier for her little hands to fret than an acoustic. Just some food for thought.
Quote by rojomeansred
It really bothers me when people use the wrong to/too.

Me two.

Six is a fine age to start. Look into some 1/2 size or 3/4 size guitars.
Quote by rojomeansred
It really bothers me when people use the wrong to/too.

Sorry I don't have perfect grammar, but I'm sure you have made mistakes before.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by rojomeansred
Yes, you aren't bad grammatically speaking. I don't even get that upset about most grammar errors, for some reason that's just a major pet peeve of mine...

I complete understand, sorry I was getting yelled at right before I read this so I was kinda angry. sorry for kinda being a dick. People misusing a/an really bothers me.
grok it.

SKREAM!

It's the misuse of "they're" and "their" that really bothers me...

*scurries away*
ahahaha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by rojomeansred
You forgot there lol. That reminds me you're and your really gets me too.

grr it/it's is another one that bothers me. The to/too just confuses me....
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by rojomeansred
two o's is used as in also, so it is dealing with more than one thing.

Did I use the wrong one?

And btw, to get back on topic (curse my ADD), I'm gonna I'll post a video of her playing Ironman tomorrow, it's funny because the guitar is big and she isn't big.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Is 95 too old???? Go for it......if your sis takes to it, great....if not....something else will interest her.....it's always a gamble.
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT