whats the best way to get SAT scores up? i got about a 1520 and i need to get it up to from 1800-2000s so what do i do?

i am going to go to huntington learning center on saturdays and sundays for 2 hrs a session

what books do you recommend?
reading:540
math:540
writing:440

EDIT: for any of you older folk, thats about a 1080 on the old 1600 point test
Last edited by seankellyultgtr at Nov 25, 2008,
study. ask your teachers for study guides im sure they'll have some. or you can look on collegeboard.com they probably have study guides as well.
"The Mad Scientist"

Quote by Fuzzbox91
for someone with a madness avatar (ok ill admit mdness interactive was cool for its time), youre seem to have the right idea.

"Reaching for, the gun, to load and persuade you, to stay..."
i heard that if for every answer you put Chuck Norris, you get a perfect score... then again, i heard it on a chuck norris website
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
I don't know how long you have, but try to read examples of good essays/articles on the web. Read books, and get used to the wording. Become a living thesaurus

Of course, you gotta study like a madman, which you already are. Take those daily SAT questions and whatnot. Pull out all the stops.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Open C:
3. Click on WINDOWS.
4. Open the folder "Media."
5. Click on the file "onestop."
6. Listen.
It's not studying, it's knowing strategies on how to approach each type of problem. I'm too lazy to tell you these strategies.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Like others said, you must study for the test itself.

Buy Princeton Review SAT books. It's what I used and I got a 2130. Also go to their sessions if you can.

In these books and sessions they will tell you how to get a good score. There are ways to deduce the correct answer even if you know little to nothing about the question itself, which is purely due to the way the SAT is written. There are secrets to getting a good essay score. There's a reason why they guarantee your score will rise.

The modern SAT is a marathon since it's so long. Pack a snack when you do your test so you can keep your brain fueled.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Last edited by yoshixxx7 at Nov 25, 2008,
There are a lot of SAT review CD-Roms out now. I've gotten some from a local library. I would suggest looking at one in your area.

The modern SAT is a marathon since it's so long. Pack a snack when you do your test so you can keep your brain fueled.

It's only like four sections, right?
Quote by Spamwise
There are a lot of SAT review CD-Roms out now. I've gotten some from a local library. I would suggest looking at one in your area.

...try 10

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Spamwise
Really? It's just English and Math, right?

Yea, but it's still 5 fucking hours.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Spamwise

The test itself is four hours long, plus there's all the mucking around time where they explain stuff and you fill out your name on forms and crap, and break times. Like the other guy said as I recall it's almost 5 hours long total. I mean, I guess it's semantics, but it's a test that has a major impact on the course of your life that's four hours long. Many people I know ran out of gas by the end. I took it twice and one of the reasons I think I did better on the second was because I actually ate food during the break time.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
Quote by yoshixxx7
Its four hours long. I mean, I guess it's semantics, but it's a test that has a major impact on the course of your life that's four hours long. Many people I know ran out of gas by the end. I took it twice and one of the reasons I think I did better on the second was because I actually ate food during the break time.

Wow, that's really stupid. You don't happen to know why they made it so long, do you?
Quote by Spamwise
Wow, that's really stupid. You don't happen to know why they made it so long, do you?

for the lols

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Spamwise

Care to explain yourself?

I mean, the test started around 9:00. I dunno about you, but if I eat breakfast at 8:00, I'm gonna get hungry by 2:00 PM...
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Quote by rabidguitarist
Quote by yoshixxx7
Care to explain yourself?

Ten sections seems to be a little much, especially for what is covered. Do they really need to make a test four-five hours long to get an adequate judgement of your academic skills? Oh well, it's not like I'm going to skip it.

I mean, the test started around 9:00. I dunno about you, but if I eat breakfast at 8:00, I'm gonna get hungry by 2:00 PM...

I meant the fact that it is that long is stupid, not that you needed food. I think i'll bring some too.
Quote by seankellyultgtr
whats the best way to get SAT scores up? i got about a 1520 and i need to get it up to from 1800-2000s so what do i do?

i am going to go to huntington learning center on saturdays and sundays for 2 hrs a session

what books do you recommend?
reading:540
math:540
writing:440

EDIT: for any of you older folk, thats about a 1080 on the old 1600 point test

Answer more questions correctly, stupid.
You're*
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, but it's still 5 fucking hours.

So I just looked on collegeboard.com, and here's what I found:

Critical writing:

70 minutes total

Math:

70 minutes total

Writing:

60 minutes total

That's a total of 3 hours and 20 minutes..
Quote by yoshixxx7
Like others said, you must study for the test itself.

Buy Princeton Review SAT books. It's what I used and I got a 2130. Also go to their sessions if you can.

In these books and sessions they will tell you how to get a good score. There are ways to deduce the correct answer even if you know little to nothing about the question itself, which is purely due to the way the SAT is written. There are secrets to getting a good essay score. There's a reason why they guarantee your score will rise.

i didn't study at all and i stayed up to 2 in the morning before the test and got a 1940.

Studying won't work for everyone since they purposely design the test to be one that you can't really study for, but rather goes off how much general knowledge you have.
Quote by Spamwise
So I just looked on collegeboard.com, and here's what I found:

Critical writing:

70 minutes total

Math:

70 minutes total

Writing:

60 minutes total

That's a total of 3 hours and 20 minutes..

+ breaks + time standing in line + all the administrative bull**** they make you do (filling in your name, signing that **** on the back, all your details) + explaining each section + doing the example problems at the beginning.

It's more like 4 hours 20 minutes.
Study.... just do practice tests over and over. Thats the only way to really do it. Then check the answers in the back of the book and go over the ones you got wrong. I know it sucks, but being a teenager means doing pretty much everything you don't like, and never getting to do the **** you like.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Quote by seankellyultgtr
i live on the east coast. were you just being a prick, or that actual advice? will it help

I do too.... and they offer the ACT.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
Quote by thefeedingend
+ breaks + time standing in line + all the administrative bull**** they make you do (filling in your name, signing that **** on the back, all your details) + explaining each section + doing the example problems at the beginning.

It's more like 4 hours 20 minutes.

I thought he meant the test itself was five hours long.

Standing in line..? What for?
a 1080 will get you into most schools; if you still want to boost your scores the best way is to find out where your weak spots are on the test and work on them. and definitely make sure you're not hungry and that you are awake enough to function (a little preparation in that way makes a big difference).
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
Also dont fret too much about the SAT, the truth is that the SAT has become less of a marker of your intellect and more of a marker of how to be good at test taking. I have a gpa of 3.9 and a weighted GPA (counting advanced courses) of 4.5, and i got a 1710. Having a low SAT score doesnt mean you are dumb or anything, its just not your thing. And the comment about the ACT should be taken seriously, it is a different approach to testing. All schools accept either the SAT or ACT, some people do better in the SAT, some do better on the ACT. I would have taken the ACT if i didnt have Dec 1 deadlines.
Its a bit late for that now... I mean unless you study like a monster. But it seems to me the trick for highs scores is dedication to education for years leading up to the test, lots of reading (anything! just read!), and an SAT class or two.

ALSO!!!! Don't be afraid to omit answers. It feels like you're giving up points, but you're a lot better off if you omit rather than just guess randomly.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Yeti60
Its a bit late for that now... I mean unless you study like a monster. But it seems to me the trick for highs scores is dedication to education for years leading up to the test, lots of reading (anything! just read!), and an SAT class or two.

ALSO!!!! Don't be afraid to omit answers. It feels like you're giving up points, but you're a lot better off if you omit rather than just guess randomly.

I'm pretty sure you only lose points for wrong answers. I don't think they take points off for questions you don't answer.
There are free tests on sparknotes.com You get one free one when you create an account. So, create multiple accounts and take several practice tests.
Quote by Spamwise
I'm pretty sure you only lose points for wrong answers. I don't think they take points off for questions you don't answer.

That was his point....
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by Chaosinborn
Also dont fret too much about the SAT, the truth is that the SAT has become less of a marker of your intellect and more of a marker of how to be good at test taking. I have a gpa of 3.9 and a weighted GPA (counting advanced courses) of 4.5, and i got a 1710. Having a low SAT score doesnt mean you are dumb or anything, its just not your thing. And the comment about the ACT should be taken seriously, it is a different approach to testing. All schools accept either the SAT or ACT, some people do better in the SAT, some do better on the ACT. I would have taken the ACT if i didnt have Dec 1 deadlines.

No offense, but your response seems to be a bit biased based on the fact you didn't do so well (although I admit I am probably biased to the opposite side ). It is very important. Your GPA is based on the gradual work you have done over the course of four years, but the SAT is all on 3hr 20min. In that way, I would say it's the most important part of your education thus far. I forget the exact numbers, but I recall charts/pie graphs showing that colleges can give the SAT/ACT score just as much weight as your GPA. No true test of 'intelligence' has been created, so the SAT is definitely more of a 'test taking skills' test, but really that's what every test is...It is recommended that you take both the SAT and the ACT, different people will have different strengths and so forth.

For preparing for the SAT, I suggest getting the official SAT book and the Princeton Review book. The Princeton Review book will cover all the test taking strategies you will need, and the official SAT book will give you good background straight from the source and also quite a few practice tests. I don't really think the classes are as effective taking into account value. Most classes seem to be around a thousand dollars I don't think that price is justified...The classes mainly just go over the strategy books anyway.

And it's 1 pt for a correct answer, 0 Pts for a blank, and -.25 pts for an incorrect answer.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by figsandbobo
That was his point....

I misread his post. My apologies.