I've been playing guitar for just over a year now and a few months ago I was doing well financially and decided to treat myself to a new guitar for the simple reason that I decided I would if I could stay dedicated to it. So I did just that. I bought myself an Ibanez RGT42DX because well I felt that from what i've been hearing it is pretty good guitar for metal music.

All is well, and at the time i was very partial to Metalcore so I decided to leave my guitar overnight at the shop so it can be tuned to Drop C because i had no idea how to adjust spring tensions and tune anything on a floyd rose equipped bridge. I was pumped! I had a new guitar and I can start playing along to songs that I like.

I take it home and I am jamming and it is ok... at best... and the tuning was never done that well so i use the fine tuners some more get it as close as i can and just deal with it. Months go by and I eventually add some 81/85 emgs to it (as this is a popular thing to do for metal) and now it just rips.

The tuning eventually somehow goes out of tune and i am bedaffled. I try to fix it on my own which probably made it worse. I take it in to get it tuned back to drop C (i seriously need some guitar friends who can help or atleast show me how to do this properly.. youtube really sucks for this kind of thing). And finally I get my guitar working...

Ive been playing it for a couple months since i had the emgs intalled and the more i play it the more i dont like it. I don't think its a very comfortable guitar (for me) i dont like where my hand sits on the bridge when i palm mute, I don't think i am a fan of the ultra thin neck either. On top of all this... I am bored as ****ing SIN with metalcore. I can't take it anymore. I do NOT or did NOT ever need the floyd rose. I dont know what i was thinking when i bought it ("its a floyd rose... looks complicated... must be good") I literally spent a couple hundered extra on that and i never use my whammy and on top of that i cannot change from Drop C (i could try removing a spring again and trying to tune it properly... probably just another utter fail though).

This guitar's soul is ****ing metalcore and everytime I pick it up my fingers play nothing but metalcore and i HATE it. I want to play a metal still just maybe a little more alternative or progressive. I have always enjoyed bands such as Tool, Soad, Pantera, Breaking Benjamin, The Mars Volta, etc... Every lick i create suffers this effect and sounds like a ****ty version of Bullet for my Valentine (a band i have come to get extremely bored of) or KSE or ATR....... All this time I tried changing my guitar into something that i am not a true fan of anymore.

What do I do is the question? and I APOLOGIZE FOR THE WALL OF TEXT, but i don't think it gives the same dramatic effect if I didn't say WHY i hate my guitar lol. I;ve already invested so much money in it, do I give up on it now? I do not have money for a new guitar... not even close seeing as I am in college right now and have stop working (lazy). Do I sell it? I will never rush into buying a guitar again...

OH and the bastards at the store put a huge scratch on the back near where the springs are (don't really care.. BUT STILL!)

thanks
sell/trade it
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
You need to stop going through musical phases and situate yourself. I went through phases, such as the all too common nu-metal phase, a punk rock phase, a metalcore phase, etc. Now I'm enjoying music for what it is, and I still like all the bands I've ever listened to.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Nike-Man
there is no way I'm reading all of that

Then get out.

Sell man, seems like the only way you'll be happy. Since you've upgraded it with the 81/85 you'll probably be able to sell it for a little more too.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by YourDad
You need to stop going through musical phases and situate yourself. I went through phases, such as the all too common nu-metal phase, a punk rock phase, a metalcore phase, etc. Now I'm enjoying music for what it is, and I still like all the bands I've ever listened to.

I know! I know! To be honest... i still enjoy those bands KSE ATR etc. I do enjoy the guitar work... but i definitely have loved alternative progressive rock/metal for long time... It was just SEVERELY unfortunate that I was going through metalcore phase during the time i decided to buy a guitar. I am kind of laughing about this now... Sad really...
Tune up. Your old metalcore riffs will sound like crap (or Trivium in the first album).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It can't be that hard to tune. Use your allen key to open the locking nuts, tune, if necessary open the back and tighten the bridge spring plate to bring the bridge down to level with the guitar body (or loosen to bring it up), tune again, lock the nut and fine tune.
That is a bit crude but there are plenty of threads and useful videos on how to do it. What string gauge are you using?
Block up your trem with bits of wood behind it if you don't use it.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Mixaly
I know! I know! To be honest... i still enjoy those bands KSE ATR etc. I do enjoy the guitar work... but i definitely have loved alternative progressive rock/metal for long time... It was just SEVERELY unfortunate that I was going through metalcore phase during the time i decided to buy a guitar. I am kind of laughing about this now... Sad really...

Yeah, now I feel I have a more open mind, I listen to bands like Dying Fetus, Nile, and Arsis as well as Bullet for my Valentine, All That Remains, and even Slipknot and Korn.

And to contribute more to this point, TS, not going through phases will save you a load of cash and make you smarter with your gear.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
You could sell it, but you'd be out on the 81/85. You could re-install the old pups and sell it how it originally was. Use that cash + some more that you should save to buy a more versatile, non-floyd guitar.
you need to stop switching genres. I used to do that, but now I sort of just stick with a similar sound. I still listen to all kinds of genres of music, but when it comes to playing, I just play one basic style. I had a problem sort of like this a while ago, too, but I just stuck with one tuning and style and it all worked out.
You should blame yourself not the guitar if what only comes out when you play is metalcore.

but for your situation with the floyd you could either block it off or try to get some money by selling it.
lol... yes i will stop switch genre's... although ive only done it once... and to be fair i still enjoy metalcore... i just don't want to play it...

If i put in stock pickups to sell it... i would need to have it rewired again for a passive setup... i would probably just sell emgs along with it and boost the price up since i am not too set on an active setup anymore. i would have to think about this one...

I guess I could also tuning it up to standard or Drop D (id have to atleast get new strings i dont wanna play 56-11 on that).. i really would like a fixed bridge though for easy tuning switches ( might sell? )
you could keep you emgs and sell it to me! im serious! you wouldnt even have to reinstall the old pups. sell it to me with to gaping holes where the pickups are supposed to be for cheap!
Just sell it. Nothing is bad about changing your musical tastes either. Don't listen to the posts that tell you otherwise.
sell it or trade for something with a wider range
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Bahh I'm having the same problems as you with the floyd.
I just got a hellraiser with one in. It's awesome as ****, but nothing beats being able to spontaneously retune when you feel like playing a different genre.

For your problem, just tune your main axe to the tuning you enjoy playing things in the most and have your old one in whatever awkward tunings you sometimes like to go to. It's been working for me for quite a while now.
should have bought an iceman :P

ya seeing as how you put a decent amout of money into it with those pickups you could probably make a lot of the money back selling it.

it sounds like you just need a simple guitar, with simple but thick tone. Im kindof into the same stuff, and personally i could see a Les Paul or SG shape working well for you. Something with Seymour Duncan pickups.

EDIT: HOLY **** you live in the same place as me!

ill take a look at your guitar man ive been looking for a new one.
Keep the guitar.... It's a good all around guitar even with the EMGs. You can block the trem with a piece of wood if you don't need it. If you REALLY can't get used to the neck, then swap the pickups with the original ones and sell the guitar, but keep the pickups and install them in the next guitar you'll get.
This is why you don't sink new pickups into a guitar when you are just starting out. Just sell it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Change the pickups, change the tuningm change the string gauge and then re-EQ your amp. It should feel completely different.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Hmm, it's probably the fact that your guitar has an edge III tremolo.
I've just sold my Ibanez RG320PG because i cudn't deal with that ****ing tremolo anymore lol.

To be honest though I have little sympathy for you, it was a bit dumb to buy a floyd rose guitar when you have no idea how it works, and why would you buy a guitar that didn't even feel comfortable to play?? Surely you played it in the shop to see if it felt good...

Anyways sell or trade it and get something which you know you're going to like.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
There's an FR setup guide on here somewhere, I think it's a sticky. Look at that.

I say sell your current guitar and learn from your mistakes. I actually like that I started on a cheap guitar (squier strat). It allowed me to see what genres I did/didn't like playing and allowed me to learn more about guitars/parts and what I did and didn't want in my next guitar. I spent several months looking at guitars even though I grew to hate mine. Don't be afraid to wait when you're looking at guitars, and allow yourself versatility. Playing the same genre all the time would get boring, just like only listening to one genre. I go from classic rock to blues to metal all in the same practice session.

Moral of the story: don't box yourself into a certain style if you only have one guitar. If you have two, you can specialize them, but leave yourself open to different genres.
i have 3 ibanezs with floating trems. not a prob out of 1 of them. but i know how to set them up and maintain them.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Sell it and get a Schecter C-1 with a fixed bridge.

after selling me the ibby with no pups
Quote by jymellis
after selling me the ibby with no pups

Dont get me wrong, i like ibanez, i have an ibanez bass. I just hate trems of any kind, i wont own anything with a trem on it. I would rather play music than mess around with an allen wrench and a screwdriver. I wish Ibanez made more guitars with a fixed bridge. And as far as he was saying about getting locked in to one style because of how the guitar is set up? Well i dont totally buy that, You can play anything on any guitar. when it comes to that, i think its more effects, amps, and amp settings. I am 40, I seen Randy Rhoads play, He could do anything with a damn Les Paul. I think this guy needs to learn other styles and just play it! I think all he knows how to play is the metal-core stuff, and thats why he plays it. He would do the exact same thing and play the same **** on any guitar.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Nov 26, 2008,
after reading your text on the Floyd rose i think i may need to find a different gutar... the one im looking at has it and it soudns all too complicated for me, fixed bridge i think for me.

as for your problem Ebay it or trade it with some one else for something you really need.. like cash :P
Is it in good condition? You shouldn't have trouble selling it back to the store or to someone else who is suited for it.

Step 2: Go to Guitar Center and play EVERYTHING.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by Kurapica
Change the pickups, change the tuningm change the string gauge and then re-EQ your amp. It should feel completely different.

+1

Also, when was the last time you gave your guitar a good setup? That can change a lot of things.

You could also learn how to set up your guitar and how to maintain the FR trem, it's good practice and means you won't be retarded when you come across another FR trem.