kinda confused, how do artists record in studios and get an amazing tone, surely to get the most of their amps they need to crank them but how do they do this in such confined space without going deaf? I know they mix and use many other strange things but enlighten me!
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
earplugs and a good producer
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

agreed oh and LOTS of booze drugs and in buckethead's case dog poop
Quote by Fzau
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
It's just useless.

erm, sometimes i know what a lot of guitarists do is mic up their amps in a different part of the studio (say a small cupboard or cubby hole) and run their leads from the amp into the performance room and be able to listen to their guitars through a headphone mix.

A tried and tested way is definitely a single Shure SM57 smack bang in the centre of whatever speaker or in the centre of a speaker cabinet. I've worked in studio's for a while now, you can sometimes use AKG414'S etc to get some good overtones...
Last edited by Guitar2006dude at Nov 25, 2008,
The first thing you need to realize is how much time and effort goes into every detail of a major label recording. A good producer will literally spend at least a day on guitar tones. What does this entail? Trying different microphone placements and configurations (you'd be amazed how much difference moving a mic 6 inches will make). Sending the signal through different compressors and pre-amps is another variable. Also, most guitarist don't play a part just once and forget about it. They layer their tracks, sometimes as many as a dozen times, using different amps and guitars to achieve a thick tone. It's not just a matter of using a a great amp and guitar = great tone. It takes a lot of experimentation and knowledge.
Quote by Syn_66
kinda confused, how do artists record in studios and get an amazing tone, surely to get the most of their amps they need to crank them but how do they do this in such confined space without going deaf? I know they mix and use many other strange things but enlighten me!

Good equipment and a highly experienced/great producer gets the studio sound. If you had great gear yourself and tried to record you would probably get cruddy sounds still. It's up to you knowing how to use the gear to get the best sound.
Quote by moody07747
Good equipment and a highly experienced/great producer gets the studio sound. If you had great gear yourself and tried to record you would probably get cruddy sounds still. It's up to you knowing how to use the gear to get the best sound.

In english this means get Adam D and decent equipment
Quote by Fzau
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
It's just useless.