Gday,

I replaced the bridge pickup in my Epiphone G400 a while ago with an EMG 81. It sounds much much better, but still i prefer the sounds of the Seymour Duncans in my Ibanez.

Anyway, since i already put in an EMG, i have decided I will replace the neck pickup as well with an EMG to keep the guitar nicely balanced, I was origninally going to get an 85, but the I saw the 89.

I understand the features the 89 has, but i dont want to loose anything in going to a switchable humbucker? So is the 89 basically identicle to an 85 when on humbucking mode? Is there any disadvantage an 89 has over an 85 apart from price?

Thanks for your advice guys
RG's & Mesa's
There's a reason why Schecter began putting 89's on their EMG equipped guitars...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^ that's completely biased and doesn't help at all.

TS, if you don't really like the sound of actives, maybe you should opt for a replacement for the 81 and the stock neck pickup instead of getting an 89.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by postmortem2006
A better idea would be to get Seymour Duncan Livewires/Blackouts because EMGs are awful. The only way you'll make an EMG sound good is if you're playing in Drop B with a ridiculous amount of distortion.

Shut up. Flaming anything gets you absolutly nowhere. Ever heard of a thing called an opinion or rolling back volume? Saying EMGs suck is saying thousands of guitarists suck, at least one of which youre bound to like. Don't suggest something a thread isnt about and diss what it is talking about.

Last edited by EMGPWNS at Nov 25, 2008,
I think he likes the sound of the actives, but he's just looking for a neck pup? I have an 81 in the bridge of my G400 and a 60 in the neck. Freakin' sweet combo right there. Cleans on the 60 are spot on, and it gives a nick thick and smooth lead tone. The 60s are regarded as the best EMG humbucker for cleans, but I really don't know about the 89s.
Also, have you done the 18v mod?
I was looking into the 60, but i dont think it will fit properly into the cavity, as it is of a smaller size if im not mistaken. I have not done this 18v mod either.

I havnt found anything to suggest an 85 would have any advantage over an 89, so for the added versatility ill prob just go the 89.

With this 18v mod, does it make much difference? Also would this mean having 4 batteries?
RG's & Mesa's
i'm not too sure about the sizes, but the 18v mod is pretty great and simple.

here's the difference, it's more open/less compressed and clear.
http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG9v.mp3
http://source.dk/~jbj/EMG18v.mp3
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The 60 will fit, I have on in my G400, so no worries there. And yeah like said, the 18v mod is 2 9v batteries in series. Basically, it removes the compression that you get with EMGs, leaving you with a more open/clear tone. It's a night and day difference really.
Quote by EMGPWNS
Shut up. Flaming anything gets you absolutly nowhere. Ever heard of a thing called an opinion or rolling back volume? Saying EMGs suck is saying thousands of guitarists suck, at least one of which youre bound to like. Don't suggest something a thread isnt about and diss what it is talking about.

I'd expect nothing less form an EMG fanboy.

I've made a rather valid arguement - he wants EMGs, I've proposed an alternative because in my (extensive) experience with EMG pickups, they're inferior to active SDs - SD pickups sound good in any tuning and their clean tone is brillaint, yet with EMGs their clean tone is unbearably bad and they sound rather crappy distorted too, unless they're in a ridiculously low tuning (like Drop B).

Thats my experience with them, I'm offering an alternative option, and I get flamed by an EMG fanboy. You're the one doing the flaming here, asshole.

*reported*
Quote by postmortem2006

I've made a rather valid arguement - he wants EMGs, I've proposed an alternative because in my (extensive) experience with EMG pickups, they're inferior to active SDs - SD pickups sound good in any tuning and their clean tone is brillaint, yet with EMGs their clean tone is unbearably bad and they sound rather crappy distorted too, unless they're in a ridiculously low tuning (like Drop B).

Thats my experience with them, I'm offering an alternative option, and I get flamed by an EMG fanboy. You're the one doing the flaming here, asshole.

*reported*

wow... douche...

its a good thing you weren't serious when you reported him or else you'd be a faggy little crybaby...

wait a sec
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
STOP JACKING THE THREAD , GO ARGUE IN YOUR PMs!

I dont know much about the 89, but the 60 is nice
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Quote by postmortem2006

*reported*

I was getting a bit flame-happy, but my point is saying EMG's sound horrible is a very biased opinion, and lots of people love their sound. That goes with cleans and distortion. Metallica has pulled off nice EMG cleans on Nothing Else Matters before, look for yourself. If you want to argue more PM me.

ON TOPIC: Like others here, the only differences i can find between the two are the coil-tap ability and the price.

I would get SD Live Wires because the clean is 100 times better than EMGs.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Ditch the EMG's and go for Blackouts instead. They are soooooo much better.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Thanks guys, i just bought the EMG 89.

While all your points are valid, i feel as though the point of my thread was misunderstood. I am no EMG fanboy. I have seymour duncans in my ibanez, and they are an awesome pickup, however I already shelled out 150 bucks for an 81 ages ago, so i figure another EMG will result in the most balanced sound, and im not gonna just chuck out my other EMG pickup and shell out a **** load for a set of SD blackouts. Having said that, I like the sound of EMG's for some applications. If i could go back in time i may have gotten Blackouts, but atm i am quite happy with the EMG.
RG's & Mesa's