Poll Options
View poll results: Learn songs from :
Van Halen
34 45%
Joe Satriani
41 55%
Voters: 75.
Before I hear you whining about "no X vs X threads" , this is not about that

So I really have no idea what songs I should learn first... songs from Van Halen or Joe Satriani??

I wanted to post arguments and descriptions about what advantages I would get by doing one first and the other later, but it just confuses me.

Your opinion?
Um, listen and decide for yourself.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
Wat.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Neither. Transcribe Parker's Donna Lee instead.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
it's a tie they both lose

just kidding satch/van halen fans
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
i prefer van halen, but that's my opinion.

in all honesty, you're only going to be able to learn what you WANT to learn, not what other people tell you what you should learn.

but if you really ARE stumped and want to learn them both equally, then go with van halen.
Joe Satriani. He has some easy songs such as Midnight and Starry Night. Van Halen is hard stuff.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Buckethead
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Quote by Metallica_Man55
i prefer van halen, but that's my opinion.

in all honesty, you're only going to be able to learn what you WANT to learn, not what other people tell you what you should learn.

but if you really ARE stumped and want to learn them both equally, then go with van halen.

Yea I really am freaking out bout wich one to start with...

Van Halen is second/first favorite band... Joe satriani is my second/first favorite guitarist

Can't precise what are my fav bands/guitarists, I love other artists too =[
Quote by david9d5
vulcan422 ftw!

lol i saw buckethead 4 nigths ago at the House Of Blues, it was ****ing awsome
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
Quote by wvguitarguy
if was me, i would learn what/who tunes i liked best

this.

or learn something from some random third band.
Quote by vulcan422
Buckethead

Well, I am probably going to learn songs from him after those 2 up there that are in the poll....

And I'll probably make a thread in the future asking wich one should I learn songs from.... the one that'll loose here or BucketHead

(buckethead is my fav guitarist with joe satch....)
Quote by kevC4
Yea I really am freaking out bout wich one to start with...

Van Halen is second/first favorite band... Joe satriani is my second/first favorite guitarist

Can't precise what are my fav bands/guitarists, I love other artists too =[

you shouldn't freak out about it.

you should think about which one you would actually be able to play, or which one you'd want to play more.
I think you should go for Joe Satriani, but that's only because I really prefer his playing and writing compared to Van Halen. Just go for the one you like the most, or both.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Quote by Metallica_Man55
you shouldn't freak out about it.

you should think about which one you would actually be able to play, or which one you'd want to play more.

Well, I could pretty handle them both.... sure Van Halen solos are really tricky sometimes, Joe is more structured, but Van Halen would help me on my rythm playing and on my tone, also some phrasing. But Joe's songs could boost my phrasings more.

Well maybe I'm considering choosing Van Halen but for the tone only, but I'm still not sure.

And , from what I see on the poll, people like them both too lol
i would go for satch since you'll learn a lot of stuff like cool sweeps, and all the other stuff (too lazy to write techniques) besides im not sure (flame shield on) i think you can learn more theory through satch.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
This may surprise you due to my name but I'd say learn some Van Halen first before tackling Satch. With Van Halen the songs are generally chord orientated then with a solo, but of course doing mainly chords etc first gives you a nice breather before you have to really focus for the solo. I think that the best course to take would be to start with Van Halen as that will kind of ease you into the kind of concentration you need to nail Satch's songs.
Personally I find with Satch you need to have a fair bit of concentration going throughout the whole song because there are generally so many changes and it's not like playing say a 3 or 4 chord verse. You are playing many individual notes which you have to know when to slide, when to hammer on, when to pull off, when to bend etc, say that is just the verse, then you have bridge, chorus and solo to worry about, also as is fairly typical with Satch an outro.
As complete songs Satch's are much more difficult to learn, yes he has some ones which aren't too difficult at all (Ten Words for instance is pretty simple to play and a good one to start off with) but then you have Summer Song/Surfing With The Alien to name 2 which both take a while to learn inside and out. Summer Song inparticular I personally still struggle to nail everytime.

Just noticed you mention tone and phrasing. Learning songs by Satch, and I mean really learning every tiny little thing he does (I mentioned slides etc but even something like how aggressive his picking is) will greatly improve your phrasing as it has done for me.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Van Halen, Satch is so repetitive. All his songs are just a bunch of

"Oh ****! Here comes the SLIDE, Mothafuc'a! What's next? SLIDE, SLIDE, SQUEAL!!!!!!!!!! TAPPITTY TAPPITTY TAPPITTY"

Literally every single song by satriani is like that. At least Van Halen can change his solos up a bit.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman

"Oh ****! Here comes the SLIDE, Mothafuc'a! What's next? SLIDE, SLIDE, SQUEAL!!!!!!!!!! TAPPITTY TAPPITTY TAPPITTY"

Literally every single song by satriani is like that. At least Van Halen can change his solos up a bit.

....You say that and you like dragonforce?

Quote by SurfinWithSatch
This may surprise you due to my name but I'd say learn some Van Halen first before tackling Satch. With Van Halen the songs are generally chord orientated then with a solo, but of course doing mainly chords etc first gives you a nice breather before you have to really focus for the solo. I think that the best course to take would be to start with Van Halen as that will kind of ease you into the kind of concentration you need to nail Satch's songs.
Personally I find with Satch you need to have a fair bit of concentration going throughout the whole song because there are generally so many changes and it's not like playing say a 3 or 4 chord verse. You are playing many individual notes which you have to know when to slide, when to hammer on, when to pull off, when to bend etc, say that is just the verse, then you have bridge, chorus and solo to worry about, also as is fairly typical with Satch an outro.
As complete songs Satch's are much more difficult to learn, yes he has some ones which aren't too difficult at all (Ten Words for instance is pretty simple to play and a good one to start off with) but then you have Summer Song/Surfing With The Alien to name 2 which both take a while to learn inside and out. Summer Song inparticular I personally still struggle to nail everytime.

Just noticed you mention tone and phrasing. Learning songs by Satch, and I mean really learning every tiny little thing he does (I mentioned slides etc but even something like how aggressive his picking is) will greatly improve your phrasing as it has done for me.

This kinda convinces me, anyway the votes are too tight
Quote by woodenbandman

You just perfectly described eruption. On that note, learn eruption to get the cliche out of the way.
Both!
Did I Blow Your Mindd!!!??!?!???
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by Xiaoxi
Neither. Transcribe Parker's Donna Lee instead.

so true. My friend's been learning it on bass, which is fun to watch since I'm a sax player. He's got it pretty well though, he's got it at a fairly good speed I reckon.
Anyway TS, I'd go with Van Halen just because I find the composition structures and playing more interesting than Satch..