i have a progression that goes A,C,E,D, then C,D,E, but now i cant get back to A..can someone help please?
You should be able to just go right into it.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Either go right back into it or you could go to something like an Fm or if you want a little happier sounding play a G.
E leads straight into A wherever you in a progression. If it doesn't sound right then A isn't what you want.

EDIT: or try E7 if you want to extend it out to four bars and repeat the whole thing from the start.

Are any of those chords minor?
Si
E => A aught to work fine, since it's a fourth away.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Usually Emaj leads perfectly to Amaj. I like 20tigers suggestion, making that Emaj chord an E7 chord enhances the resolve. It's one of the most used movements in music.

Maybe what's causing the problem is that Cmaj chord? Try raising it or lowering it and making it minor.
Quote by demonofthenight
Usually Emaj leads perfectly to Amaj. I like 20tigers suggestion, making that Emaj chord an E7 chord enhances the resolve. It's one of the most used movements in music.

Maybe what's causing the problem is that Cmaj chord? Try raising it or lowering it and making it minor.

^Yeah, or make the A and D both minor.

I've actually been playing around with the same roots. I've been using C Em Dm Am as a base but mixing it up a bit here and there too. It is obviously different than what you're doing but sounds really nice. It's rather on the fence tonally though which kind of works for me at the moment.
Si
Quote by Mongoose87
E => A aught to work fine, since it's a fourth away.

some what if A is tonic it is a fifth away
song stuck in my head today

Quote by 20Tigers
^Yeah, or make the A and D both minor.

I've actually been playing around with the same roots. I've been using C Em Dm Am as a base but mixing it up a bit here and there too. It is obviously different than what you're doing but sounds really nice. It's rather on the fence tonally though which kind of works for me at the moment.
I've just had an idea from your post. Why not write a progression that's completely filled with minor chords except the chord you resolve on and use a iim6 to make a perfect cadence?
I'm thinking this: C Am Em Dm6

Haha it works well *runs of to get it copyrighted*

/offtopic
Quote by mercedesisbenz
since when has a V to a I been an issue.
Since, now that I think of it, he's probably using powerchords.

Powerchords don't resolve unless a melody or something is helping to imply the chord progression. Chords need a minor or major third to move well (at least in western music).
yeah thats why i thought his progression was weird because theres only major chords written, when really hes probably playing just the 5th.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by Shadowplay13
i have a progression that goes A,C,E,D, then C,D,E, but now i cant get back to A..can someone help please?
E7 -> A works every time.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Maybe hold the E out for a sec then quickly jump back to A? makes it so you dont have to throw a new chord in to make it work?