Hey guys, I just kinda have an opinion question, for all you guitarist who play piano as well. I've thought about it more and more recently, I feel it would end up being a phase, ( I wanted to play violin for awhile but now I'm like Eh.) but alot of things are kinda screaming go ahead and try it. I have a keyboard from my sister (junky yes but something also yes.) and I really like the keyboards in dream theater and liquid tension, as well as beetoven and classical pieces, I feel like it would be nice to learn some relaxing stuff as well. One of my friends, my mom and my guitar teacher could also help teach me, so I'd have alot of support.

So Basically, you guitarists/pianists have any opinions or anything to kinda help me decide wheather i should invest time into it.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
I love both guitar and piano, and I think playing piano helps you get a better understanding of some of the basic elements of music theory (like chord structure, intervals, etc.) that can be really helpful as a guitarist.

go for it man
just try it out. it'll probably take quite a bit of time to learn to play fluently. i took lessons from the age of 5 to 12 then picked up the guitar. and i play both every single day. whether its just a minute or two on either.

i just love music, love playing it and love making music. so any instrument i can get my hands on i play. piano, guitar, drums, bass guitar, harmonica, trombone and soon, accordion!!

so go ahead man. start playing the piano. its super relaxing too by the way. and it can also be the freakiest sounding instrument on the planet. or so i think
Quote by Gunpowder
Just remember, you can't spell "Ugly" without "UG"

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
Hahah, I know what your saying, I think organs can be one of the most chilling sounds ever. Also It would really help me out to learn more theory and stuff. I mean, I know a tad, like a few scales and I can read pretty well. But I mean outside of that.... I usually just tab ****, and work on technique and speed, which isn't all bad, but it's far from being a good/emotional guitarist who can write things that actually have theory behind them.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Do it. Learning another instrument can only make you a more well rounded player. Plus music theory is the same, no matter the instrument; so the transition will be easier for you than someone who hasn't played anything.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Last edited by civildp1 at Nov 25, 2008,
yeah exactly. that was a great point. the piano definitely helps you with your theory skills!

plus, if you play acoustic a lot(like me lol) and you record your own stuff( like me lol) then an acoustic guitar, piano and vocals are just awesome. its amazing what you can do with those 3 things.

some of my favorite songs only include those 3
Quote by Gunpowder
Just remember, you can't spell "Ugly" without "UG"

Quote by tands

nasstyman you are full of win in the same way tobacco companies are full of ****
Quote by pbraley25
I love both guitar and piano, and I think playing piano helps you get a better understanding of some of the basic elements of music theory (like chord structure, intervals, etc.) that can be really helpful as a guitarist.

go for it man

I'm supporting this

I found learning chord structure on a piano gave me a way better understanding of chord structure on guitar and was easier to learn theory on piano because it's layed right out.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Hrmm.. well with keyboards, even though I like alot more of the classical stuff, i really like the weird techno stuff, and awesome almost guitarlike keyboards that you hear in dream theater, and liquid tension. So I was thinking i could start on my sisters, and then move over to a synth, but I wouldnt know what to get thats cheap. I was thinking a microkorg would be perfect, but at the same time the whole 1/3rd of a full keyboard thing could hold you back
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
it could definitely help you out and it's nice to have another instrument to play if you aren't feeling like guitar at the time
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders