Not really partial to anything, I've been playing through an old epiphone les paul (a few problems with the guitar because of age). I have a line 6 spider amp (yea its not valve but it works). The amp is pretty new so i don't really want to buy another one so I'm thinking of buying a new guitar. As most people go for, i really like playing stratocasters. I've been playing them at guitar center and at my friends on and off.

Any other suggestions for around $400-500, so i can try them out and possibly be swayed?
Mainly blues/rock as generic as that sounds. I've dipped into metalcore over the years but I'm not looking for a guitar specifically geared towards it.

With the humbuckers on my epi, I am a bit partial to some SSS or some combination of pickups that will give me a variety of sounds.

With that, I still love the feel of the epi SG also
Well if you get a HSS strat, you shouldn't really have a problem with versatility. The key is trying a lot of them before you buy... some are worse than squiers and others are just as good as the american models. Try a few and see which one is the best.
if your going to a guitar store i recommend while looking at strats look at classic vibe squires those are amazing
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
im looking for an upgrade to the epi les paul....so squiers are kind of out of the question
MIM strats. With the extra 100 or so, you could buy a new pickup if you're unhappy with the sound.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Sell your amp because a guitar doesn't hide the spiders tone. Maybe it sounds fine to you, but just dont make clips or vids of it please.

edit: A new/used amp isn't the answer for everything, i know, but just don't make the same mistakes I have such as oh, this pedal/pickup/guitar will make my sound good through my P.O.S. spider amp...
Maybe sell the Spider and get a Vypyr 15? That shouldn't put you down too much on cash, and you can still get a nice guitar.
MIM strat for sure. ive had one for about a year now. its an amazing guitar. but if you can, you should get a used PRS SE. im getting a semi hollow one in blue for $450.