Lets say I wanted to make a custom guitar. How would I find a body to accommodate my custom parts? I know you can order custom bridges, pickups, maybe even a neck, but:

How would you put it together?
How would you find a body to put it all into?

Like, I like Ibanez. What is the disadvantage to buying a $200 Ibanez, and pimping it with pickups, and the like, compared to buying a $1000 Gibson and pimping it?

Ibanez Iceman's usually run about $600, and then after upgrades, it would run about $1000, right? What if I bought a $200 guitar and did the same upgrades, and saved around $400?

Or does the guitarist call up a Guitar company, and they get the parts together, put it in a body, and ship it to them? Of course, he would pay them afterwards........

Please, enlighten me.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Different quality hardware, wood, craftsmanship goes into guitars. You could buy a body and pimp it out but you'll still spend as much money most likely as the guitar you are trying to imitate new. You could put new pickups in a 200$ guitar but the wood will probably be cheap and the rest of the hardware, fretboard, frets and neck might be lacking still.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
you're more likely to get a better response if you post in the gear building thread, but basically a $200 dollar guitar with pimped out pickups e.t.c won't sound as good as a $1000 dollar guitar with pimped out pickups e.t.c becuase the quality of the build and wood e.t.c is very important

as for your custom question, usually a company aproaches famous guitarists to offer to build them a custom or signature guitar. If you can afford it you can get your own custom build, you basically give them specifications and they build the guitar to those specs i.e woods for neck body, scale length, neck width and thickness, pickups, hardware e.t.c
the body is also important to the sound, also the neck very important, some necks feel better than others
you could buy warmoth parts
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i think if you've only been playing since january 08 and it is now november 08 then you don't need a f*%ing custom amp.
I've been playing for three years and i still use my original guitar

andresbejar wrote:

The death metal band comprised of Jesus and Gabriel already exists! Opeth! Jesus = Mikael Akerfeldt, Gabriel = Axenrot, ur history teacher = martin mendez and fredrik is better than mohammed guy
Quote by Aethen
i think if you've only been playing since january 08 and it is now november 08 then you don't need a f*%ing custom amp.
I've been playing for three years and i still use my original guitar

I know that I am not near good enough to get a custom guitar. I had been thinking about the process of making one lately, and I thought it might be a cool project to work on someday.

So, the body and wood affects the sound that a guitar makes? How does that work? I thought that influenced how it feels in your hands, not how it plays.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
the wood is extremely important to a guitar, not only does is dictate how heavy it is and how it feels when you play it, different woods resonate in different ways creating different kinds of sounds, mahogany for instance is known to be a dense heavy wood that has a dark deep sound (such as a LP), lighter woods like alder (such as those found in a strat) have a lighter sound, obviously the pickups influnce the way the guitar sounds greatly and the amp has a huge effect, but yeah, woods are extremely important.