K, So heres the situation. My band has been practicing for a couple months, and our Rythem Guitarist has FINALLY come to his senses that he need a better amp than a L6. So, since I have money I think I'm just gonna buy my self a tube amp and let him use my Crate VTX200s. So, I like Crate. How are the V series? I see they have a 212 V18 and a 112 V50 for the same price. What is the difference? WHich is better (Our drummer is loud as hell)? And do you reccomend any other Tube combo under $1000?
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
What kind of music do you play?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Melodic Metal. Like In flames, Into Eternity, all the way to dream theater, and avenged sevenfold, to Pantera type riffs.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
I forgot to mention it doesn't need good distortion bcuz we have pedals that we use
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
The VK isn't voiced for metal. Let's go with the typical response of UG and recommend a peavey 5150

when you switch to tube amps, distortion pedals are useless. you WANT to be using the on board distortion.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
well would you rather use the distortion from your pedals or the distortion from a tube amp (the real deal). and do you mean $1000 USD? because if so, i say a peavey XXX or 5150. it depends, do you use cleans alot?

Quote by l3p4rd
The VK isn't voiced for metal. Let's go with the typical response of UG and recommend a peavey 5150

who mentioned a valveking?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I use a Rocktron Silver Dragon pedal. It has an onboard 12ax7, its a real Tube distortion pedal. I want a tube cuz we need it cranked and our SS sound like **** cranked
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Quote by racman92
I use a Rocktron Silver Dragon pedal. It has an onboard 12ax7, its a real Tube distortion pedal. I want a tube cuz we need it cranked and our SS sound like **** cranked

what were trying to tell you is that good amp distortion > pedal distortion, no matter how good the pedal is
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by racman92

the whole "real tube distortion" thing is all a gimmic.

and I ment V series., not valveking, my bad. I just put the K after the V on accident.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Considering you can see the valve and the 12ax7... and the thing sounds the part, plus I know good amp distortion>pedal but you pay for it too. Anyway... What has awesome distorion, I mean sh** that will make your skin fall off. I play lead and I love that blistering kinda tube tone.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Engl's are really expensive. More around a $1000 USD for a combo
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
MESAAAAAA!!! God I want one but they are so expensive. I gotta check this one out
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Orange AD30 head only and over budget $1,100
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/927407370.html

Laney AOR Pro Tube head $500 (woa wa wa wa that is honey)
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/927253700.html

Mesa Dual Rec '90s (doesn't say what they are asking but it doesn't hurt to find out)
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/925334317.html

Marshall JCM900 w/cab $950
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/915495748.html

anyway, you get the idea. You could def get a 5150 or XXX within your range too.

PS - I have not played all of these either, these are just things I would be calling or emailing about if I were in your shoes.
K, thanks
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
So, that Laney would be nice? It just sounds kinda cheap for a Laney... of course that could just mean a good deal
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
What would be a good OD to put in front of a tube, lol, I guess this is where the OD/ distortion difference comes in
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
racman - just use the Edit function to add stuff back in unless you are trying to increase your post count

There is a similar Laney at my GC and I wanted it bad but I'm a combo guy and don't have a cab. It is pretty dirty right out of the gate. Bostonrocks has a similar combo and did a ton of clips with it. So most of those amp I linked you to won't need an OD pedal necessarily but the Bad Monkey works well for cheap in using as a clean boost with Gain 0, Level 10.

again, i don't think you would need to worry about that too much for now - i would be more worried about getting extra tubes and a cab. Maybe shop fees for a once over.
But would that Laney cover me for the really heavy stuff?

EDIT: Ya, I know. My comp was being a biatch and wouldnt go to the edit link.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Last edited by racman92 at Nov 26, 2008,
Ok, thanks everybody. I've decided and got a deal on a used Mesa Dual Rec head (the better 2 channel one) and a sweet Voodoo 412 cab. My DREAM rig, seriously.
Quote by magnus_maximus

Quote by Albino_Rhino
That's a pretty sweet setup for the tone you're looking for. Nice work, and I hope the amp is all it's cracked up to be for you.