Page 1 of 3
what would u recomend for someone who loves playing, but at the same time loses intrest at times, and it gets more and more often?
try playing a genre you wouldn't normally be into...jazz para ejemplo.

or, maybe take a break for a few days or a week. you'd be surprised how much clarity a small rest away from your instrument gives your body and mind.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
It's because you're not learning jazz.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
get more interested in it?
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Quote by bucketheadbukut
what would u recomend for someone who loves playing, but at the same time loses intrest at times, and it gets more and more often?

just learn to play your favorite songs. if you keep finding yourself losing interest after doing this, then you shouldn't force yourself to do something you'll hate.

i also read somewhere on UG that if you lose interest you should take a break from the guitar for a while. just stop playing completely for a week or so (maybe a bit more). i forgot what thread that was in, though.
play with OTHER people.

Jams are the #1 way to new ideas and just re inspire yourself.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

I had to leave the instrument at home the other day and I was sick of it anyway...a few days later when I came back and saw it, I broke a string from playing so much. Just take a break.
Quote by fastlanestoner
try playing a genre you wouldn't normally be into...jazz para ejemplo.

or, maybe take a break for a few days or a week. you'd be surprised how much clarity a small rest away from your instrument gives your body and mind.

i wouldn't recommend playing a genre you wouldn't be into, because i personally think that you just wouldn't want to learn it as much.

as for the take a break part, that's basically what i was saying before. if you do something every single day, even if it's something you enjoy, it's going to get a bit boring.
Quote by bucketheadbukut
i dont have anyone to play with, i do at guitar center, but i only go like once every two months

take a break. If you like guitar youll be itchin to play in no time.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Effects.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I masturbated in front of a mirror and I pretended Bob Barker was giving me a handjob.

Quote by Bazilisck311

You know you're a guitar player if the pianist at your wedding plays "Eruption"
In my experience, you can't really force yourself to be into it. It took me six years to really want to get into and spend some serious time practicing and learning music.
Quote by bucketheadbukut
i do know jazz

I highly doubt it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by thewho65
Man, I'm aving the same problem. I don't know what to do.

the advice i'm seeing here is pretty good.

the best option i think would be to take a break.
i do take breaks, ive going on and off for about 1 to 2 weeks, and yes, i do know some jazz, and i hate playing it
Quote by bucketheadbukut
i do know jazz
dude, saying that you know jazz automatically proves that you have no understanding of what jazz is.

that said, its not for everyone, i would suggest you learn theory, but play something that interests you.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Don't do a me and give up for 4 years, cripple your hands and then try to play again.
Taking a break is seriously the best idea. one thing i do when im getting tired of playing guitar, is to improvise for 15 minutes, and time myself. Roflmao, sometimes its hard to make 15 minutes of completly different riffs. And if im feeling really out of it, il lift weights
Quote by bucketheadbukut
i do know some jazz

Sure, just like I know how to cook because I can boil water.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by kaosfire
play with OTHER people.

Jams are the #1 way to new ideas and just re inspire yourself.

This.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
try out a bands stuff that you havent played in a while and is different
like going from pantera to led zeppelin
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
taking a break might work but it's only a band-aid fix (temporary)

I took about a weeks break once then came back feeling kinda refreshed, played for a few days, then unintentionally took 2 weeks break. Then the breaks went into months

Of course I WAS addicted to WoW and that didn't help lol, but eh. If you're not interested you're not interested.

I bet it's the music you're listening to. You're probably sick of that so if you put the guitar down for a while and listen to some different music you might get inspired again.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
If you know jazz, I'm confused how you can be getting bored. Try new modes; maybe bebop dominant, symmetrical diminished, altered scale? Try applying old techniques to new tunes and see what happens. Try studying through Lydian inversion techniques. Transcribe some Coltrane solos. Pick up some new stuff, like Kenny Garrett. Don't be closed to trying new things like learning some Scott LaFaro bass lines or practicing your Freddie Green comping through some old standards. Maybe trying to pick up some techniques that Wes Montgomery used? McCoy Tyner? There are a thousand things to listen to and absorb in the world of jazz. Fusion, dixieland, bebop, cool jazz, etc. I'd try any of that and it'd probably keep me going for a couple years at least.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

well i am sorta annoyed of the music i listen to, but for the main part i just change the band and im happy again
Quote by Gargantuan
Jazz damnit

THIS dammit
Or take a break. Either one works, but the idea is to either walk away for a while and let the inspiration come back to you or challenge yourself with a new goal to kindle new inspirations. Jam sessions with musicians you normally don't play with accomplish the same thing.
EDIT: +1 to Xaioxi's and Zugunruhe's comments also. You don't "know" jazz. Maybe you know a couple of standards, big f*ckin whoop. But you don't know jazz because you can't "know" jazz. It's not a know thing, and from a guy as analytical as me that borders on heresy. But it's true.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by musicology
If you know jazz, I'm confused how you can be getting bored.

I can clear up your confusion right now: it's because he doesn't actually know jack shi about it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 25, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I can clear up your confusion right now: it's because he doesn't actually know jack shi[/t] about it.

i dont give jack **** about it
or maybe he just really doesn't like jazz? not everyone gets excited by learning a whole bunch of new scales to use while improving over some chord progression.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
im goin to suggest the same thing i suggest every time i see these threads.

pick a new tuning (not just drop d, or eb) and **** around tryin to write ****. also, if u usually play electric, learn some acoustic stuff, or vise versa.
i'll also reiterate what has already been suggested, learn a new genre, take a break, and jam with other people. if u dont know people to jam with, find them dammit, theres bound to be plenty near where u live. next time ur at guitar center jammin with people, get some phone numbers from people u wanna jam with again. as said by the great van wilder, "life's all about making connections. write that down."

edit: another thing i just thought of, listen to some music WITHOUT guitar in it, and maybe try to think "hmm, what kind of riff would i play over this." or even try improving solos over it. try transcribing music played on other instruments for guitar
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Last edited by wicket_nirvana at Nov 25, 2008,
Page 1 of 3