Poll: Which guitar is best for $200-300?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar is best for $200-300?
Ibanez ART
9 22%
Ibanez RG (fixed)
17 41%
Jackson (lower end dinky or something)
7 17%
ESP EC 100 (or something similar)
3 7%
Dean ML (close to $300 models)
5 12%
Voters: 41.
Hi. I have been over this a bunch of times and I apologize for that but the more I find out, the less certain I am. I like to play metal mostly (KSE, older Atreyu, ATR, etc.) and I play rock to, but mostly metal. That being said, it needs to be well suited for metal but cleans need to be ok as well.

The ones I have found that would work are
--Ibanez ART 300
--Dean Ml (the ones around $200)
--Jackson (a cheaper dinky or something)
--Ibanez rg (that style with a fixed bridge)
--ESP ec 100 (something similar)

Just something without a tremolo would be great and tell me what you guys think. Try not to be biased too much, haha. And my budget needs to stay from $200-300. Thanks!
Last edited by zero716 at Nov 25, 2008,
Go for the Ibanez ART or the DK2M.

All of those other companies make rubbish for that price range. Anything under the 400 range with the ESP/LTD, Deans under the '79 series etc...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Nov 28, 2008,
Artcores are the hollowbodies.. You dont want a hollowbody for metal. If you want my opinion, I'd go for an Agile.
Gibson Les Paul Studio(Wine Red)
Squier Vintage Modified Tele(White)
Eastwood Sidejack(Amber)
EHX Little Big Muff Pi
Danelectro: Echo,Tremolo, Octave
Dunlop JH-1B Wah
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ 1x12 cab
i agree if you want a dean ml you have to go to the higher end ones

actualy for any dean for that matter.

but if that is your price range, i suggest saving up.
i have a Dean ML and its absolutely brilliant for metal, and it works really well with cleans two. its a really versatile guitar

however mine was like $700AU though, so im not sure how the cheaper ones are
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Not the artcore, the ART. It's a mahogany LP style body. This is probably a really stupid question, but are there any guitars with ebony necks near $400?
Are the agiles any good? I mean, have any of you played them? I have had people suggest them to me in the past but they've never even played them so the argument wasn't very convincing. And, they're only online (if they actually have stores, they aren't anywhere near me...) which makes me kinda nervous...
IMO Ibanez is THE brand for inexpensive metal guitars. Their low end stuff blows away Jackson, LTD, and Dean. My vote went for the RG.

Just stay away from Edge III trem systems.

Some people here might disagree with me, but I think that cheaper Jacksons are absolute garbage. Their huge bolt-on joints extend to the 16th fret on most of them; the upper fret access is terrible.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Last edited by Reds3031 at Nov 26, 2008,
Ok. I was wondering why the lower end dean ml's aren't any good. Is it the wood or what??
Quote by zero716
Ok. I was wondering why the lower end dean ml's aren't any good. Is it the wood or what??

Pretty much any wood besides agathis is OK.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
The only ML under the '79 Series that is worth looking at is the MLXP with the Matching Headstock (comes with Grover tuners factory) and the MLX is pretty solid for the price. But my reccomendation has to go with a certain Ibanez model.

My friend bought an Ibanez last year that was white w/ black binding. Fixed bridge and had passive "Designed by EMG" pickups. The neck felt pretty, but it made my big hands hurt after awhile. It sounded pretty good too, more that what you would expect for the price. He said he paid $300 for it, but I'm not sure if they still make it or not. Try to find it

EDIT:
Found the link. I guess they don't offer the "Designed by EMG" pickups anymore. Still a nice guitar. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Go for the Ibanez ART or the DK2M.

All of those other companies make rubbish for that price range. Anything under the 400 range with the ESP/LTD, Deans under the '79 series etc...

I said this Before and I will Say it Again,If H4T3BR33D3R says any Thing YOU DO IT, 'cause he knows what he is saying...

I'd Go for the ART(ART 300 preferably This One , because it looks sexy) but I believe they are rare because i can Hardly find One now(or maybe I just live in the middle of nowhere)