I'm planning to buy a new amp around Christmas. I'll have around 500 dollars. After I buy it, I'll buy whatever upgrades I need around my birthday, in July. I don't need any suggestions for what to get. I just want to know if when I get it, I should:
1. Buy a decent amp and use my current amp as a 1x12 cab
2. Buy an okayish half stack (something like a Randall RX120dhs)
3. combo amp
4. other?
Remember, I'll be upgrading as soon as I have the money to.
Quote by Ralbert07
Get a sledgehammer and you can do the rest yourself. Sledgehammers solve everything.

Buy me an amp and I will marry you
Death metal, hardcore, pop punk.
I don't gig, but I plan to very soon. That's mostly what I need the new amp for.
And I can go used. I live in Wilson NC, and Raleigh is pretty close. As is Goldsboro, I might check their pawn shops some time.
Quote by Ralbert07
Get a sledgehammer and you can do the rest yourself. Sledgehammers solve everything.

peavey windsor maybe..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I don't need amp suggestions. I just need to know which way would be most worth my money in the long run.
Quote by Ralbert07

it depends on what kinda gigging you're gonna be doing. if volume is your main concern, still try to get the most bang for your buck as far as tone goes, but make sure it's gonna have enough headroom to do what you need. on the other hand, if you're going to be able to mic your amp at most gigs, then go for the best tone and as long as you've got at least like 50-60 watts solid state or 20-30 tube, you'll be good.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
I'd go for either a 2x12 combo or a head and cab if you're going to be gigging. It'll give you a nice full sound for band practice/live playing. Well, as long as you don't buy something that sucks.
For the time, I think I might buy a used head. And I can always borrow a 2x12 or 4x12 cab if I need it for a gig.
Quote by Ralbert07