I always hear people constantly bash on guitars and basses made in Mexico or China (especially China) because they claim the quality isn't as good as it would be if it was made in the USA or maybe Japan. But most of the time that's because the USA/Japanese ones are handmade while the Mexican/Chinese ones are assembled on an assembly line most of the time and not a lot of quality goes into it.

So does anyone know of any custom luthiers, custom shops, or just a plain old electric bass company that makes basses by hand and are of top-notch quality, but are based in China or Mexico?
Rondo music's SX brand is all chinese and they are not bad qaulity. But they ain't custom they are assembly line, still are nice but say "custom handmade" on the headstock. I can't really think of any custom shops though maybe in Japan but other then that?

I honestly don't belive in the whole "made in U.S.A." = top qaulity. It's not where it's made that makes it good, it's when it's made.

Example. modern day top of the line Gibsons and Fenders are **** compared to their 60s and 70s counterparts.

I think your best bet is to actually go for the cheaper asian companies/ asian outsourced basses then pay a house mortgage for a headstock name with "U.S.A" on it.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 25, 2008,
Not really. I don't really care where it was made......I mean, i have a standard squire VM 70's Jazz, made in china i think......But i bet you it can put a few MIA +MIJ jazzes too shame.

We had a discussion in the music shop the other day.....Alot of Fenders stuff and squire is **** hot, But, i played this MIA Jazz Delux and it was freaking horrible, i really don't know what happened with that to be fair. Then i pick up a Standard Squire Jazz and it plays great for 800 quid less. Why?

Because every guitar is different, no matter where or when it was made, every guitar is different, so when your buying a bass, start of with the cheaper jazzes. You never know, you may find one of those gems that plays just like an 1000£ MIA Jazz
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Ok I checked out SX but they're an assembly line (I'm pretty sure?). Someone said they had a custom shop but I didn't see it. I was looking for companies that made handcrafted guitars, so I don't think SX does that. But they are the first Chinese company I've seen besides factories from large-scale companies that makes guitars/basses. Anyone know of any handcrafted ones, though, and Mexican too?
Quote by Mutant Corn
Actually SX's factory is set up similar to a lot of american factories. Not too different from gibson's assembly line, IIRC, though obviously on a larger scale. They even do custom orders now and then.

http://www.sxguitarspain.com/sx_factory_tour.htm

I wouldn't exactly call SX "high quality".

And it's proabably a bad thing to set up similar to the Gibson assembly line. Look at the shit they've been turning out of the past couple years.
A lesson to learn is to never judge store gear unless it has been set up before hand. I have seen a couple of people in some shops going in with a screwdriver, allen keys etc so that they can set up a bass before they play it.

Any bass can feel horrible to play with a poor setup.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
SX is a spanish company, and yes they do custom orders on occasion.

I don't think some of you guys quite get the concept of handcrafted....any company besides one-off custom builders are going to use an assembly line. Very, very few companies make completely handcrafted basses. Even the Gibson, Fender, and Peavey custom shop instruments come from an assembly line, and are made largely by machines...and that's not a bad thing. CNC technology generally ensures that all of the instruments are made to the exact same specifications, and have really leveled the playing field as far as quality.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
SX is a spanish company, and yes they do custom orders on occasion.

I don't think some of you guys quite get the concept of handcrafted....any company besides one-off custom builders are going to use an assembly line. Very, very few companies make completely handcrafted basses. Even the Gibson, Fender, and Peavey custom shop instruments come from an assembly line, and are made largely by machines...and that's not a bad thing. CNC technology generally ensures that all of the instruments are made to the exact same specifications, and have really leveled the playing field as far as quality.

Actually most custom shop orders ARE handcrafted. For pre-made custom shop instruments, they may be made PARTLY on an assembly line, but when you send in an order form (even to Fender, Gibson, Peavey) they have builders make your instrument for you. Of course they have machines help them, but it's not like they type away on a computer and have an assembly line do everything from start to finish. And no, guitars/basses made by CNC tevchnology are not bad by any means. But for this thread I was wondering if there were any companies that make basses handcrafted, or at least mostly.
Quote by Applehead
may i ask why? Do you just really want to buy a bass made in china?

Support Communism?
Quote by Applehead
may i ask why? Do you just really want to buy a bass made in china?

I don't I'm just wondering because I see all these companies out of various countries (such as Ran Guitars from Poland or Lado Guitars from Canada) that make great custom and handmade guitars, but I never have seen any from China or Mexico.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

I honestly don't belive in the whole "made in U.S.A." = top qaulity. It's not where it's made that makes it good, it's when it's made.

Example. modern day top of the line Gibsons and Fenders are **** compared to their 60s and 70s counterparts.

Well, seeing as the quality control took a massive nosedive during the CBS era i.e late 60s and 70s especially; the new Fenders arent really **** in comparison.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I know what you mean, mex fender QC has gone up a lot! I have a reggie hamilton sig jazz, USA parts, but made in mexico and i'm fairly impressed! It doesn't stand a chance against my USA made EBMM SUB bass though
i think the best all 100% hand made basses are Alembic basses too bad they are like 10,000 but i think they are the best of the best. i dont think you have that kind of money to spend on a bass though haha. but i think rickenbackers are mostley made by hand but dont qoute me on that.