les paul prophecy? Both epiphone obviously, as i am a poor bastard.

I don't see myself using the piezo pick up, or what i'd even want to use it for! But aside from the piezo, what other advantages does one guitar have over the other? I know i can look at specs, but i don't always know what they mean
The Prophecy has better hardware for sure. Dirty Finger pickups are great.

You get an Ebony board with it too which is quite uncommon for that price range.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i had the ultra one, i loved that guitar, its ****ing great.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Quote by kaosfire
i had the ultra one, i loved that guitar, its ****ing great.

Same here. I would have to be bloody hungry to ever sell it. Love the contoured body and weight reduction due to the chambering (about 5lbs lighter than an LP). The finish is flawless.

I see the Ultra and the Prophecy (with its ultra-high distortion pups) as very different guitars. Guess you've got to decide what srt of music you want to play.
Last edited by Ancient Jello at Nov 25, 2008,
The Prophecy line of Epis are awesome I bought the Futura with EMGs and it plays better than guitars I have bought for 5 times the price. The LP with the Dirty Fingers pups is nice, I liked the one with the EMGs a little better but would rather have it in Red. I have to say Epi LP Ultra are nice too but I think Epi puts a little more into the new line. You best bet is to go and try them out and see what you like.
Quote by captaincrunk
wow, two contradictory reviews from two respected (by me anyway) Ug'ers. wonderful haha!

I also think the dirty fingers are splittable? am i correct?

I don't know about the Dirty Fingers in the Epiphone, but in General, the Gibson Dirty Finger pickups made now have the 4-conductor wires so they can be split.

Me? Respected? Aw shucks.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by captaincrunk
does one give me better modding opportunities?

Modding ops on the Ultra will be the same as any Epi LP. However I've had mine for 18 months and have never felt the need to change anything except the strings when they need it.
Quote by Ancient Jello
Modding ops on the Ultra will be the same as any Epi LP. However I've had mine for 18 months and have never felt the need to change anything except the strings when they need it.

I think i would get the gibson version of the ultra's pickups, as it's only like a 60 dollar charge or something. Anyone done this?
I still think you should go with the Prophesy. No offense to you Ancient Jello but I've always felt the Ultra and the rest of the Epiphone line had a plastic and toy like feel when played.

The Prophesy has better specs and feels a lot more like a guitar IMHO.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The pups in the Epis are actual Gibson Dirty Finger pups so they should have the 4 conductor wiring. It the same with the EMGs they are actual EMGs not a licensed product. If you plan on modding the guitar get a Used Gibson or Epi LP instead. I think the Epi LPs we are disscusing are great the way they are.
Quote by johnro6659
The pups in the Epis are actual Gibson Dirty Finger pups so they should have the 4 conductor wiring. It the same with the EMGs they are actual EMGs not a licensed product. If you plan on modding the guitar get a Used Gibson or Epi LP instead. I think the Epi LPs we are disscusing are great the way they are.

Yeah, the Prophesy line has most of the mods anybody needs stock.

Straplocks
Grovers
high quality stoptail and bridge
Graph-tech nut
High quality pickups.

Killer deal.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah, the Prophesy line has most of the mods anybody needs stock.

Straplocks
Grovers
high quality stoptail and bridge
Graph-tech nut
High quality pickups.

Killer deal.

the ultra had just gibson pickups, although it also has the piezo.
If i got this guitar I'd want the higher quality gibson pickups, as they'd match too and it would still look good.

I wanted a les paul for many reasons, one being the weight. I'm a bigger guy, 6'1 and about 225. Lighter guitars feel like guitar hero to me when I'm standing. I only sat with the ultra, is it really that much lighter?
Quote by captaincrunk
the ultra had just gibson pickups, although it also has the piezo.
If i got this guitar I'd want the higher quality gibson pickups, as they'd match too and it would still look good.

I wanted a les paul for many reasons, one being the weight. I'm a bigger guy, 6'1 and about 225. Lighter guitars feel like guitar hero to me when I'm standing. I only sat with the ultra, is it really that much lighter?

The Ultra is chambered, it's quite a bit lighter.

If you want to go with the Ultra, by all means go for it man. I personally wouldn't because the Prophesy is a much better guitar IMHO.

Whatever floats your boat dude.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Prophecy.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
The Prophecy has a shaved-down neck, 2 more frets, a satin finish, and a choice of Gibson Dirty Fingers passive pickups or Epi's own new Active pickups (which also work as passive pickups if the battery goes dead or is removed).

The Ultra is a regular Les Paul, but heavily chambered for almost hollowbody tones. It also has that pretty gold plated hardware which dulls and rubs off onto your clothes in the first month...
The Ultra-II is the Ultra, plus the active acoustic pup to blend in acoustic tones.

... In case you can't tell, the Ultra/Ultra-II and the Propehcy series are very different guitars. Why you're trying to compare them... I don't know. The Prophecy series are made for metal, the Ultra and Ultra-II are made for blues and to a lesser extent country.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Prophecy has a shaved-down neck, 2 more frets, a satin finish, and a choice of Gibson Dirty Fingers passive pickups or Epi's own new Active pickups (which also work as passive pickups if the battery goes dead or is removed).

The Ultra is a regular Les Paul, but heavily chambered for almost hollowbody tones. It also has that pretty gold plated hardware which dulls and rubs off onto your clothes in the first month...
The Ultra-II is the Ultra, plus the active acoustic pup to blend in acoustic tones.

... In case you can't tell, the Ultra/Ultra-II and the Propehcy series are very different guitars. Why you're trying to compare them... I don't know. The Prophecy series are made for metal, the Ultra and Ultra-II are made for blues and to a lesser extent country.

Is the "active acoustic pickup" the nanomag? i think its basically a piezo, which sounds like what you're tyring to tell me.

All the reviews on the Ultra I've found don't mention the nanomag pickup! What the hell?
Quote by MrFlibble

The only Prophecy guitar with the EpiActives is the EM EX.....the rest have EMG's or Dirty Fingers.

Tbh dude, it's your choice though. I mean, both are great guitars, no doubt. But why are you asking us? Try them out again, and pick one for yourself.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
The only Prophecy guitar with the EpiActives is the EM EX.....the rest have EMG's or Dirty Fingers.

Tbh dude, it's your choice though. I mean, both are great guitars, no doubt. But why are you asking us? Try them out again, and pick one for yourself.

I ask because there are so few reviews i could find on this guitar
Quote by captaincrunk
Is the "active acoustic pickup" the nanomag? i think its basically a piezo, which sounds like what you're tyring to tell me.

All the reviews on the Ultra I've found don't mention the nanomag pickup! What the hell?
The Ultra-II has the nanomag, yes. The Ultra doesn't.

Quote by Snake™

My mistake, I thought the EpiActive pickups were on all of them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It really depends on what you want to play...
LP Ultra is chambered so it will sound a little bit like sem-hollow/hollow guitars. It will be better for blues and classic rock while staying decent for heavier stuff...
LP Prophecy has Dirty Fingers pickups which are, I think, the hottest Gibson humbuckers. Besides it's a "full" solid body so it will certainly sound better for heavy rock and metal.

You should choose the guitar depending on what you're going to play...

PS : I think the prophecy has 24 frets too but I'm not sure of it... If it's a plus for you too ... I don't know