So, I was at my local shop today. As I was browsing the acoustic room, a Washburn caught my eye. Beautiful is the only way to describe it. Spalted maple top, back, and sides, all gloss natural. Pearloid binding, abalone notch inlays at the top of the board, and an abalone headstock logo. The guitar was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I didn't have time to try it out, but I thought I would try to get everyone's opinion of Washburn acoustics.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
just whatever you do dont cheap out on it. My buddy has a cheap washburn acoustic and it sounds like a horses ass, but my old mentor played a washburn for an eon and it sounded like sex.... he also spent 1200 on it, imho takamine ftw
~Defiant~
i have a small bodied washy acoustic, its rather sexy, rather thin neck, maple, gloss, sex and inbuilt tuner + pickup, very easy to play.
Lol I love Takamine too. I have one. But the sheer beauty of this guitar just astounded me. I'm fairly sure it was one of the higher end models. All solid construction. Just holding it in my hands, it felt really solid.

EDIT: Just to fit in, I'm going to say that this guitar looked like pure unadulterated sex
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well I would buy it but funds are very, very limited. Not having a steady source of income sucks. There is SO MUCH I want to get, but I can't afford any of it. And I want my guitar wall in my room to actually look cool with all the different guitars, not lame with my all-lam Takamine (which I love dearly, don't get me wrong) and my Squier Strat (I love it too...but still...)

How do Washburns sound? I'm sold on the looks, but tonally how good are they? How well do they play? Oh, and is spalted maple a good tonewood or just really really incredibly beautiful?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i think maple is bassy... most basses are made of some type of maple. spruce/cedar are the types of wood most commonly used for acoustic guitars.

you normally want a solid wood top for the guitar. the playability and tone is up for your judgment only. they are pretty solid guitars and i would definitely recommend them to anyone.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Thanks for the wood info, but from reading warmoth says that maple actually gives a brighter sound. And I know you want as much solid wood as you can get on a guitar. I just wanted to know if Washburns are more of a deep, warm sounding guitar or a bright sounding guitar, in general.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I bought my first Washburn this year.....the J28SDL.....it's not only beautiful (the Quilted Maple Back-n-sides) but it has great projection and is a joy to play.

I reviewed it in two segments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHJF6xTB134

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFldIcJBCA
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
I just wanted to know if Washburns are more of a deep, warm sounding guitar or a bright sounding guitar, in general.

The ones I've played leaned more on the bright side. Check out my gear pics in my profile for a nice looking Washburn.
I've had a few Washburns, all of them great.
I've got a J58SW now and I absolutely love it. See my profile gear pics.
The Washburn Jumbo (J29SDL) has a good blend of "bright" AND "deep" but the Guild GAD25 is even better.
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
I've played quite a few Washburn's in various shops through the last couple of years, and everyone of them has been a pretty good sounding guitar, both the higher and lower ends.

Their Jumbo's are especially nice.

I've even come close to buying one that really caught my ear, just have not done it yet.
higher end washburns are usually good guitars, not really good, but good. But if you get a cheap washburn...lets just say you should buy some earplugs.
Pot
Kettle
Black
My brother has a Washburn 12 string Jumbo with flamed maple sides. Beautiful guitar, and probably one of the more expensive Chinese made guitars, but you would never know it was made in china. A Washburn electric is my main guitar, $300 and has quality better than many Gibsons
Quote by eurotrashed
My brother has a Washburn 12 string Jumbo with flamed maple sides. Beautiful guitar, and probably one of the more expensive Chinese made guitars, but you would never know it was made in china. A Washburn electric is my main guitar, $300 and has quality better than many Gibsons

Try a flameshield.
I don't understand that comment, but its quilted maple sides and back. Although I do think there are models that have flamed back and sides