I'm having the hardest time singing and playing the guitar at the same time. I can play just the up and down stroke and sing just fine but, when its not an up and down stroke i can't sing at the same time. Any advice on how to do it. All tips help.
thanks
Branson
Haha, I have a horrible voice, but sometimes I try singing and playing together for fun too.

My main problem is that my voice only follows the pitch and beat of my guitar.

Best advice I can give is to try with songs by bands which have a guitarist/singer.
Quote by tigerking615
Haha, I have a horrible voice, but sometimes I try singing and playing together for fun too.

My main problem is that my voice only follows the pitch and beat of my guitar.

Best advice I can give is to try with songs by bands which have a guitarist/singer.

Ya thats the exact same problem i have like i will have to different rythms, one for the guitar one for singing. Then i try and do both at the same time and they end up the same rythme lol it sucks.
Man, singing and playing will come with time.
You just have to keep practicing, and keeping a steady tempo with your toe.

Start out with super easy songs, like Greenday or Blink 182, the singing patterns are fairly simple and you won't have to think too much about what you're playing on guitar. You'll get the hang of it. No worries.

It just takes time to get used to playing without thinking as much. There aren't really tips I know of, just listen carefully to a song you'd like to sing and play to, and maybe play along to it a bunch of times. Then after you got it down on guitar without having to think, then try to sing to it.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Think11270 is right, to start of with just play simple stuff. I mean, some of us can pick up both rhythm and vocals synchronisation really easy, but other people have trouble.

I've been doing it for years now (I sing lead in bands and play guitar as well, as well as doing solo gigs with me and my acoustic) and I still have trouble sometimes, the best thing to do is to NAIL one of them. Memorise the vocal line and be able to sing it perfectly, and then put the other over the top. Memorise it to the point where you can do it without thinking. Only way to do it man. Good luck.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
I used to have that problem all the time, but now I got it down. My suggestion is to just keep on trying, eventually you'll get it (that's what I did, at least). Just start with some songs were the guitar is similar to the vocal pitch, and you might get it down eventually.
Singing and playing at the same time is a bitch, and I have much respect for those that can do it well. I can sing and play, but only if it's a pretty basic Power chord riff, just constant 16ths or something, anything with different strumming, I just end up strumming to the pattern of my singing. I guess I can't multi-task very well.

I guess it just comes down to practice practice practice
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
Singing and playing at the same time is a bitch, and I have much respect for those that can do it well. I can sing and play, but only if it's a pretty basic Power chord riff, just constant 16ths or something, anything with different strumming, I just end up strumming to the pattern of my singing. I guess I can't multi-task very well.

I guess it just comes down to practice practice practice

That's how I started out, for me it was never really hard... I never had to worry about different rhythms. But now I'm playing songs like "About Falling" and "belt" by Say Anything, and following those guitar parts AND their melody at the same itme is ****ing hard
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
I have the most trouble with this, I try so hard to get it right, but it seems I forget to sing while playing and I trail off, or I think about it too much and forget the words...just feels like I'm not destined to be able to sing and play like that.
ESP Eclipse II
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Sig. Les Paul
LTD EX-400
DigiTech GNX4
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Roland Cube-60
Practice.

Both practically singing and playing.

And when you listen to music listen to two parts in depth at the same time. Practice multi-tasking in general. It's brainwork, not a physical skill really.

OR

Learn to play the songs like a ninja, so you don't even have to think about it. Put your playing brain on auto pilot and get your singing one out.