Hey guys,
I am auditioning to join the music honor society at my school and I'm thinking about which songs i'm going to play for them. I'd like to play a song that shows them what I'm capable of as a guitarist, that utilizes a lot of techniques, and of course is enjoyable to listen to. a couple solo's I've considered are Altitudes - jason becker, No Boundaries - michael angelo, and Canon Rock - Jerry C. more recommendations would be appreciated.
thanks in advanced!

EDIT: i'll probably post a video of myself playing the songs once i get them down
Last edited by Aphasic1 at Nov 26, 2008,
Prime by Petteri Sariola

Betcha can't play it!!

EDIT:
Cliffs of Dover anyone?
1. Is this high school or college/university/whatever your nation calls it?
2. Don't play 80s shred. I like the genre and started the "Defenders of the Shred" group back in the day when the shred forum was new (and it only really exists because Classic Rock had a 20-year rule and wouldn't allow discussions about GNR which was conveniently forgotten in 2007), but few like it. If you want to play something impressive in that same style, play classical music.
3. Perhaps play something original.
4. How much of a backing do you get? Is it just you and your axe?
this is for highschool. yeah, i'm planning on playing along with a backing track.
Quote by Code-E
Prime by Petteri Sariola

Betcha can't play it!!

EDIT:
Cliffs of Dover anyone?

haha you'd be correct. any easier acoustic recommendations?
Quote by Aphasic1
a couple solo's I've considered are Altitudes - jason becker, No Boundaries - michael angelo, and Canon Rock - Jerry C.

EDIT: i'll probably post a video of myself playing the songs once i get them down

i'd go with that. sounds good, combines a ton of different elements, and MAB's just god-like.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by rcmaster0072002
for the love of god by steve vai... the girls will just get wet for you...

great song, but i don't think it'd be 'flashy' enough for the judging panel, no girls on the panel unfortunately only teachers hahah.
I suggest no stuff with heavy distortion. Teachers typically don't like distortion.

Classical music is good. Play moonlight sonata on classical guitar. It's sexy. And the teachers will like it. Especially the music teachers. Not so much a showpiece, but if you play it with feeling, it'll show your skill.
i'd like to do 1 acoustic and 1 electric. I can't rely only on acoustic to gain their approval cause my acoustic abilities are quite limited at the moment.
Quote by Aphasic1
but i don't think it'd be 'flashy' enough
I'd listen to the song again. I wouldn't play it; I'd stick with jazz or classical, but there's no way you can listen to that song and think, "Ho-hum...what a cute little piece of guitar work."
Quote by Aphasic1
but i don't think it'd be 'flashy' enough for the judging panel

About this flashy thing...I think you will impress the teachers a lot more if you just get something that is within your ability and perform it flawlessly. Also, since you're going to be a bit on the spot, knowing (rather than hoping) that you can nail it is going to do wonders for your confidence, which will come across in the performance.

I think it's a misconception that something needs to be flashy and use lots of advanced techniques in order to show that someone is proficient. If you watch a really good guitarist play something, even if it's an easier part, you can instantly tell that they know what they are doing because of the precision and confidence. It doesn't necessarily have to be a hard piece to show that. At most, in terms of "flashiness", you want something that uses a number of different techniques, to show that you are well rounded.

Anyway, good luck with the audition.
Quote by Aphasic1
Hey guys,
I am auditioning to join the music honor society at my school and I'm thinking about which songs i'm going to play for them. I'd like to play a song that shows them what I'm capable of as a guitarist, that utilizes a lot of techniques, and of course is enjoyable to listen to. a couple solo's I've considered are Altitudes - jason becker, No Boundaries - michael angelo, and Canon Rock - Jerry C. more recommendations would be appreciated.
thanks in advanced!

Never heard of anything like this. Maybe because musicians down here aren't as loved up there in America.

Is it run by students? If so, metal and shred will be very welcomed. Basically anything to show of your guitar ninjary.

If it's school run, most people older than 40 (AKA teachers) don't appreciate metal as much as we do. They'd rather hear you show your technicallity in a jazz or classical song. So my suggestion is play a chord melody song and play a bach suite. Instant respect.

Or, you could do both somehow?
Write something urself? Playing someone else his piece only shows ur guitar skill. IT doesn't show any musical skill. Unless you call "Good taste of music" a musical skill

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
play Dee by Rhandy effing Rhoads, its from a metal god but is a classical piece of art, look it up on youtube, its short and easy (if you can finger pick at all)
Try Toccata in D Minor by J.S Bach. Just learned it, it's a days work to learn and refine it, pretty easy but awesome melody.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
if you could pull off Dream Theaters "Under a Glass Moon" solo, then your a beast. speed picking, sweeping, tapping, whammy effects, its incredible.