Would they be considered 'emo'? The term or a similar term didn't exist in the early 90s.
I think a lot of grunge would be considered Emo, depends on how you classify it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
No, emo is not any sad music. I hate people who think anything sad is emo, look at Nirvana, they weren't emo.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Same could be said about silverchair and nirvana
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
Quote by tayroar
No, emo is not any sad music. I hate people who think anything sad is emo, look at Nirvana, they weren't emo.

This is true, if you went by some peoples definition "all sad/angsty rock music is emo" then bands like Alice in Chains would be emo as well.

Last.fm
No, emo music existed even before the smashing pumpkins and they weren't labeled emo back then so there's no reason why they should be now.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
This is true, if you went by some peoples definition "all sad/angsty rock music is emo" then bands like Alice in Chains would be emo as well.

And some of Black Sabbath, and some of Pink Floyd.
This all being said (and I agree with it all), the bands mentioned would probably be considered emo if they were to be formed in our day.
the use of emo, is plainly stupid "emotional music", all music would be emo, art is created by emotions... we're not machines making music.

on the otherside, i wouldn't consider nirvana or the smashing pumpkins emo... mainly because of the looks, and their ideas
If they were formed today, they would be called emo. As would every grunge band, Alice In Chains (I call them metal) and plenty of other rock bands. These days, it seems if they have a guitar and sing about your life rather than getting stoned, it's emo.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
see, every band is an emo band because all songs talk about emotions
so extream anger(slayer and all those metal bands)and extream sadness("emo" bands)
are all emo
so everything is emo!
**** if you went by the term EMO which is short for emotion. Every bit of music on the planet is Emo. and if you say your music isnt EMO in that sense, Its obviously going to be very ****ty, Just crappy music thrown together to impress id assume?
Because all music is writtin by emotion. Whether its Sadness, Anger, Hatred, Depression, Happiness. Whatever it is.
(btw no i dont actually like emo music i just like saying this :P It makes sense no?)

And No Like Godsmack said,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
No, emo music existed even before the smashing pumpkins and they weren't labeled emo back then so there's no reason why they should be now.

The Idea of Emo Was very much around Pre SP time.
so Definately not.

Edit~
Quote by Anvil pants
see, every band is an emo band because all songs talk about emotions
so extream anger(slayer and all those metal bands)and extream sadness("emo" bands)
are all emo
so everything is emo!

Argh You ****er you beat me to it.
Life Sucks. Get over it.
Quote by deluxity
the use of emo, is plainly stupid "emotional music", all music would be emo, art is created by emotions... we're not machines making music.

but emo in this context doesn't actually stand for "emotional music" it stands for "emotional hardcore" apparently some idiots somewhere along the line forgot about the hardcore part.

Last.fm
But back then, emo was an underground term. Now it's become so widespread...labelling bands emo is like modern day witch hunting. Hell, people have even tried to convince me Disturbed are emo.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
that's why I ignore anyone who talks about emo, unless they have tight jeans, a really ugly sweater and a bowl haircut, then they might know what they are talking about.

Last.fm
Music is more defined by the actual music not the lyrics. I haven't heard a legit emo song so I don't think grunge would be considered it except by the dumbass cunts who have no idea what they are talking about.
Quote by tayroar
Music is more defined by the actual music not the lyrics. I haven't heard a legit emo song so I don't think grunge would be considered it except by the dumbass cunts who have no idea what they are talking about.

actually, emo pretty much is defined by the lyrics, they used a separate term to distinguish themselves from the majority of hardcore acts that sang mostly about political and social topics, and then it became it's own scene, sort of like how people distinguish between NSBM and mainstream Black Metal.

Last.fm
I'm sick of people saying that all music is emo because all music has emotion. That's like saying everything that is happy is gay. the meaning of the word has changed. get over it. languages evolve, in ten years it will mean something completely different.

but TS, I don't think so. I think that people would call them emo but people call everything emo nowadays.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
No, the difference between the Smashing Pumpkins and emo is musicianship, lyricism and talent.

SP have all 3, emo bands have none of the above.
There are a lot of similarities between alternative and post-grunge and second-wave emo bands, and there are a few bands that could be labelled either way. But Smashing Pumpkins was alt rock, and if they released the same music right now instead of back then, they'd still be alt rock.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that's why I ignore anyone who talks about emo, unless they have tight jeans, a really ugly sweater and a bowl haircut, then they might know what they are talking about.

Emo kids never know what the **** real emo music is.

Quote by tayroar

Sunny Day Real Estate - "Seven"

^ Note for the record that SDRE was a Sub Pop band from Seattle who debuted in 1994. They could be considered post-grunge, but are recognized as the defining band of second-wave emo.

Quote by freedoms_stain
No, the difference between the Smashing Pumpkins and emo is musicianship, lyricism and talent.

SP have all 3, emo bands have none of the above.

You're a ****ing tool.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia

Emo kids never know what the **** real emo music is.

most emo kids I've met do (i'm talking about real emo kids and not the little hot topic brats that are often called emo kids today)

Last.fm
Then you're lucky to have met such knowledgeable individuals

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by x_thurston_x
Using that logic, The Smiths would be too.

definately they would be kings. thinking of that..i cant think of any british emo bands.
i dont get the whole thing about having to put every band into a genre. it doesnt really matter what you call them, they are what they are.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
i dont get the whole thing about having to put every band into a genre. it doesnt really matter what you call them, they are what they are.

true, but it's a good way to find bands similar to ones you like. IT's really just sort of a universal way to describe bands, unfortunately people get way to caught up in it.

Last.fm
Quote by Zugunruhe

i was just thinking about how musical culture has changed..in that the lines between musical genres have blurred...a lot of the time for corporate reasons. i was like 'oh what happened to alt rock, i forgot about that!'
Quote by an epic mistake
I'm sick of people saying that all music is emo because all music has emotion. That's like saying everything that is happy is gay. the meaning of the word has changed. get over it. languages evolve, in ten years it will mean something completely different.

but TS, I don't think so. I think that people would call them emo but people call everything emo nowadays.

Don't see what you're getting at here.
Quote by an epic mistake

Ya... That argument makes no sense. because an intelligent person knows the word Gay means happy. we don't always associate it to homosexuality. and to Literally say everything that is happy is ""Happy"" than that would be a correct statement. And just because the language "evolves" doesn't mean were all ignorant assholes who cant retain some information from the past English Language. whether it be by ear, a book, or wherever they may have gotten the information from.
and the get over it thing, your telling us to basically ignore the past, the word may have a new meaning but that doesn't mean the old meaning just disappeared into thin air.
Think before we speak now okay? =) Gnight.
Life Sucks. Get over it.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
true, but it's a good way to find bands similar to ones you like. IT's really just sort of a universal way to describe bands, unfortunately people get way to caught up in it.

yea, its taking it way too far when people hate on genres across the board. you have to take it on a band by band basis if you really want to hear new music. although i do have a few prejudices of my own.

genre classing is racism for music, and you can quote me on that.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
yea, its taking it way too far when people hate on genres across the board. you have to take it on a band by band basis if you really want to hear new music. although i do have a few prejudices of my own.

genre classing is racism for music, and you can quote me on that.

QFA.

You deserve a golfclap, but I've used up my daily quota.
No, they'll be called Alternative Rock. To be honest, half the 'emo' bands of today wouldn't sound like they do if it weren't for SP.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
No, they would still be considered shit.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Discussions like this typically come down to a vast misunderstanding of what emo music actually is.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by x_thurston_x
Using that logic, The Smiths would be too.

Amen. The Cure probably would be too.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Depends upon your definiton of emo like everyone has said. If your musically knowledgable you'll know and appreciate its not just 'emotional music' hence making everything emo like some have suggested

that's nothing short of a retarded view. Its short for emotional hardcore and was around in the early nineties for god sake.

Smashing pumpkins are by no means emo though modern day 'emos' would probably say they were, but that's cos of tainted views upon what emo actually is....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
If the Pumpkins started a few years later, I'd say they had emo influences.

Maybe they do? I don't know much about them.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA