ok, so i live in Dallas, and my dream for a long ass time has been to visit New York, and hopefully play a show there. My moms going to help me get there as a graduation present (along with an infiniti G35... )
now, ive never flown in an airplane anywhere before, so ive kinda been wanting to try that, but apparently it costs an ass load to buy a ticket to New York. so i was thinking, maybe we could go on a road trip/tour; playing shows in a couple of cities every state. Is this even halfway reasonable? its a three person band, and ill take my best friend with me.
has anyone ever done anything like this?
and does anyone have any clue as to how much it might cost?
I took a roadtrip to Philly last week. Cost about 200 for gas. We wanted to go to NY but a train/bus ticket was 90 dollars so we didn't. It'll be pretty expensive for you if you live in Dallas.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
ok, so i live in Dallas, and my dream for a long ass time has been to visit New York, and hopefully play a show there. My moms going to help me get there as a graduation present (along with an infiniti G35... )
now, ive never flown in an airplane anywhere before, so ive kinda been wanting to try that, but apparently it costs an ass load to buy a ticket to New York. so i was thinking, maybe we could go on a road trip/tour; playing shows in a couple of cities every state. Is this even halfway reasonable? its a three person band, and ill take my best friend with me.

You're goin to see if you can visit Lady Hellraiser aren't you?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Of course it's reasonable. Thousands upon thousands of bands do that all the time.

It might not be cheaper than a plane ticket though. Most venues/promoters should pay you at least enough for gas money, but not everything always goes according to plan.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx

WTF. I got a damn mini fridge as my grad present.
Quote by sargasm
Of course it's reasonable. Thousands upon thousands of bands do that all the time.

What he said.
It's just about impossible to do what you're planning. But, if you want to waste your time, go right ahead.
Quote by JewMasatFlex
astepabove for president?

Wanna buy a duck?
Don't go there... belive me it's nothing like what you have seen/read/heard from the bull s h i t mythology that surrounds NewYork City.

You will never find a more retched hive of scum and villiany.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

Who?

Quote by astepabove
What he said.
It's just about impossible to do what you're planning. But, if you want to waste your time, go right ahead.

it might end up being one of the greatest moments of my life. im seeing it as a journey kind of thing. ive never ever been away from home for more than a night, and not further than a county away.
Quote by astepabove
What he said.

Yeah... if you think you can make money on your way there by playing shows you're pretty wrong there.

The only way would be to schedule shows ahead of time, for which you'd have to talk to the venue's manager and get other bands to open up and yeah...

good luck!
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I say you should do it. Traveling is awesome and fun, and it's not really traveling unless you're living on no money and getting into crazy adventures.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx

it might end up being one of the greatest moments of my life. im seeing it as a journey kind of thing. ive never ever been away from home for more than a night, and not further than a county away.

It'll be fun. There's no doubt about it. New York City, despite popular belief, is a lot of fun to be in. It's my favorite place and I'm trying to get an apartment there (which is also damn near impossible). Don't go there expecting to get played though. NYC may be fun, but she's a cruel temptress to the likes of you.
Quote by JewMasatFlex
astepabove for president?

Wanna buy a duck?
Quote by evening_crow
The only way would be to schedule shows ahead of time, for which you'd have to talk to the venue's manager and get other bands to open up and yeah...

Or you could talk online with bands in the area and get in touch with DIY promoters and stuff too.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
Who?

you've been here for 3 years and you don't know who she is?

That is quite odd
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by xrawrockkillsx

Go kill yourself please.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
you've been here for 3 years and you don't know who she is?

That is quite odd

i usually dont care about popular people on ug

Quote by sargasm
Or you could talk online with bands in the area and get in touch with DIY promoters and stuff too.

damn dude.
youre good.
when i start to seriously plan stuff out, i might message you for a bit of advice.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
damn dude.
youre good.
when i start to seriously plan stuff out, i might message you for a bit of advice.

Sure thing. I've got a bit of experience with that type of thing so I'll help with what I can.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

She lives pretty far from the city, actually. At least when we used to hang out, she did. I think she moved a little further south. Either way, wrong part of NY.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Pizza The Hut

You're not gonna deprive a young innocent soul of that horrible, corrupting experience are you? If you're not careful you'll start to grow what resembles a heart. and we CANNOT have that can we?

oh and nice spaceballs reference for your username.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by Sid McCall
She lives pretty far from the city, actually. At least when we used to hang out, she did. I think she moved a little further south. Either way, wrong part of NY.

I see

nevermind my previous posts then
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by an epic mistake
You're not gonna deprive a young innocent soul of that horrible, corrupting experience are you? If you're not careful you'll start to grow what resembles a heart. and we CANNOT have that can we?

oh and nice spaceballs reference for your username.

He's gonna take YOU out

insulting Pizza's heart....

for shame
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
He's gonna take YOU out

insulting Pizza's heart....

for shame

I REGRET NOTHING!!!!!!!!

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by TooFast
I took a roadtrip to Philly last week. Cost about 200 for gas. We wanted to go to NY but a train/bus ticket was 90 dollars so we didn't. It'll be pretty expensive for you if you live in Dallas.

where did you drive from and what kind of mpg do you get?
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
i usually dont care about popular people on ug

damn dude.
youre good.

Well that's exactly what i meant. I thought most ppl in here were aware of this.

Idk... might've just been me since i was asked once to open for a band that was coming here from california.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Well that's exactly what i meant. I thought most ppl in here were aware of this.

Idk... might've just been me since i was asked once to open for a band that was coming here from california.

from san diego? i think they asked us as well. i guess i knew about it, since i was asked before. i just didnt think about it for whatever reason.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
where did you drive from and what kind of mpg do you get?

Chicago. I think we got about 20 MPG. We drove a '94 Saturn.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

What. The. Fuck.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by TooFast
Chicago. I think we got about 20 MPG. We drove a '94 Saturn.

damn, thats only like half as far. and im gonna drive like this crazy suburban.
hmmm, ill probably have to spend $600 on gas or so.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
damn, thats only like half as far. and im gonna drive like this crazy suburban.
hmmm, ill probably have to spend $600 on gas or so.

Not to mention it will take like..2-3 days to get there.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast
Not to mention it will take like..2-3 days to get there.

im trying for a week or so, cause i want to play shows in almost every state.
Quote by LadyHellraiser
Aw, if you come all the way to New York, I'll contemplate coming to visit

NY FTW

We own all other states
You'll go there and find a million people better than you. If you don't have great hookups, you'll crash and burn in NYC. This isn't the '60s and you're not Bob Dylan.
Quote by LadyHellraiser
Yes, they all bend over and take it in the butt while we show them who's boss

I <3 NY

We may have high taxes and cost of living but the sure awesomeness of all NYers outweighs those cons....easily...
Quote by drewfromutah
You'll go there and find a million people better than you. If you don't have great hookups, you'll crash and burn in NYC. This isn't the '60s and you're not Bob Dylan.

This.
New York is awesome, but you're still part of America. You and California are like the winners of the Special Olympics.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
New York is awesome, but you're still part of America. You and California are like the winners of the Special Olympics.

I won the 100m. I mean sure, 3 people ran the wrong way, 2 lost their shoes, and the only other contender was in a wheelchair, but I still won.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Lololol...you should have lived in NYC during the 1970s and 80s. Its bloody Disneyland now compared to back then.

I love NYC. Its one of the few places you could honestly land me in and I'd be instantly happy. I miss the city and while I love SF, if someone gave me a one way ticket and an apartment in the city, I'd be back in a shot.
Quote by LadyHellraiser
Aw, if you come all the way to New York, I'll contemplate coming to visit

haha, weird. but cool kinda

how expensive is **** in new york? like, is there anyway i dont have to spend $300 a night for just a hotel? and is anything more expensive then it is anywhere else? if that made sense.
id sleep in my car, but i new york is pretty shady from what i hear.

and for any new yorkers, hows the music scene down there? and wheres some good places to play?