Page 1 of 4
Ok so i've been playing guitar for almost 3 years now and i have already owned:

My Guitars:

1st: Crapy Fender Squire the mini guitar version (you know the 12 fret version lol)
2nd: My First Ibanez that i still have now and own for almost 2 year now, it was an RG series black guitar, kinda like this RG170 (I think it also had a DX at the end but nvm bought it like 400 euros, n yes im from Europe. Live in Cyprus actually, dont ask where that is )

My Gear:

My amp is A Kustom Dual 35 DFX Combo 30 watt amp, which is my second Kustom amp because im an idiot and didnt buy a Marshal amp, but thats not important because im not thinking of buying a new amp, besides i have a quite nice Zoom G2.1u effects pedal which i enjoy using. Thats my gear at the moment and please dont tell me to buy a new amp or pedal or anything like that i decided to buy a new Guitar that will serve me for as long as possible without having to buy a new one, unless i become rich (hopefully). But suggestions would be apreciated.

What iv'e considered

Ive been looking for quite a while of what guitar to buy, ive considered a bunch of esp's such as the Kirk Hammet Signiture Guitar KH-602 But since it is LTD made in Korea i think thats a huge Drawback.
BTW my budget is about 1000 euros but i would be willing to spend extra 200 or so euros which is about 1,297.68 USD (accordin to some currency convert website lol)
Also consider this since i live in Europe there is a tendency for stuff to be hugely overpriced which sucks a$$.

What i found

So after looking around on the web and going to my local Ibanez dealership, i talked to the shop owner and told him that i need and electric guitar with good pickups and a good tremollo that will last, within the price range of 1000 euros. He suggested two guitars for me the RG 2550z and the RG1570 (i think dnt remember cause im now mostly focusing on the 2550z)

My Question

So what im basicly asking is.
Is it worth spending the 1k for the Ibanez RG2550z Prestige. (n im talking about the 2008 edition sometimes people tend to confuse it with the older versions)
Is it a guitar that will last for a very long time?
Is the guitar good?
Is Edge Zero Trem good?
(cause i heared that it sucks from somewhere and that people prefere the Edge Pro)
Basicly am I making the right choice here, i mean 1k euro is alot of money, atleast for me it is, it took and is taking me about 2 months to earn that money (not to mentioned the money i got on my birthday and will get for christmas. Its good to have a birthday not far away from Christmas lol. Btw somethin i just found out my birthday is on 9/11/1989, 9/11!!! oh sike that 9th November lol Europe.)

What i Play

Im not a great guitar player but its something that i enjoy doing for myself and i dont think i will ever stop playing guitar even when i get old. I love it.

My Favourite Bands/Artists and music styles are:

Metallica (reason i started playing guitar from listening Nothing Else Matters over and over again, its a good way to start playing guitar. (Death Magnetic is AWSOME BTW!!!) Metallica is mainly what i play.
Steve Vai so far Liberty i can handle except for the solo after the first minute lol, but im getting there. Whispering a Prayer is my favourite piece of music, hope to learn to play it one day
Green Day
Korn
Neil Zaza
Guns n' Roses
Yngwie Malmsteen (cant play but want to play that style of music)

And some other stuff, so i basicly like to play anything that sounds good, i dont have just one distinct taste in guitar playing, i like Rock, Metal , Neoclassical stuff, Alternative Rock, so versatility is the keyword here and from what i know Ibanez is the way to go. A good lead and rhythm guitar for solos and headbanging will do lol

Conclusion

Sorry for making such a long thread didnt think it was gonna be that big, this time i want to make sure that if im buying a guitar im doing it the right way and investing my money on something that is truly worth it and will last. I hope i didnt bore you guys to death already, that is if you made it so far lol
I made this thread cause i couldnt fid much info on the net, in the UG review page and youtube on RG2550z, (only one review which was good that gave it a 9/10)
So give me all the comments, critisism, ideas, advice, or hate you want I really want n need to hear it from you guys.

One sentence: RG2550z worth buying?

Thanks a lot in advance to you people UG is awsome, PEACE!
Last edited by Warewolf_n at Nov 26, 2008,
i must say.
that is the most detailed "what guitar?" post EVER.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
i must say.
that is the most detailed "what guitar?" post EVER.

Lol thxs, i tried...

Well what else is there to do when your doing introduction to microsoft excel, in a computer lesson
I mean i had to do something with my hands *insert joke here*
i think the edge zero bridge is pretty good.

herman li has it on his new sig guitar i believe...and he abuses it like hell, so it must be decent !
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Well, my first question would be: can you try it out?

Personally, I think the 2550Z is a great guitar; it has a quality trem, pretty good stock pickups, an incredibly comfy neck and some cool cosmetic touches (like the Galaxy paint and the ghost inlays).

When it comes to specs, this guitar is definitely worth it. There are no weird or inferior parts on the instrument and my experience with Ibanez is that the quality control is fine.

In the end, it comes down to what you want. A guitar might look great on paper, but that doesn't mean you'll like it. I'd suggest simply trying a few Prestige RGs (if you can find them, that is) to see whether you like the slim neck profile and the overall tone and feel of the guitar.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Can you use the trem by pushing it down and pulling it up, to raise and lower the pitch, i dont know whats the technical term. I mean like Steve Vai uses his trem on the Jem in whispering a prayer, for some reason my RG only goes down and not back :S
Last edited by Warewolf_n at Nov 26, 2008,
Quote by Warewolf_n
Can you use the trem by pushing it down and pulling it down , raise and lower the pitch, i dont know whats the technical term. I mean like Steve Vai uses his trem on the Jem in whispering a prayer, for some reason my RG only goes down and not back :S

Yup, the bridge goes both ways (yes, yes, it's a horrible pun. Deal with it )

Anyway, it's a floating bridge, so yes, it goes down as well as up.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, my first question would be: can you try it out?...

...I'd suggest simply trying a few Prestige RGs (if you can find them, that is) to see whether you like the slim neck profile and the overall tone and feel of the guitar.

Im definately planning on testing it this time around before buying it, but since i already own an Ibanez RG im pretty used to the slim neck so im not worried about that, Ibanez guitar are great im just wondering about this specific model.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yup, the bridge goes both ways (yes, yes, it's a horrible pun. Deal with it )

Anyway, it's a floating bridge, so yes, it goes down as well as up.

I wonder why the hell my guitar doesnt go both ways then its an RG with floyd Rose :S nvm.
Well going both ways thats great and is exactly what i need, for a guitar that is, and for chicks i suppose
From Gem's to RG321's the only Ibanez's I'd say no to are Gio's. They're awful.

RG2550z is a mighty fine axe and I doubt you could ever regret buying one.
TS, you'd have been more of an idiot if you'd bought a Marshall amp...be thankful

And both those RGs are great guitars, they'll last you forever.

Main differences are the 1570 has no pickguard, different pickups and the Edge Pro bridge which is still an excellent trem but doesn't have the zero point system - your RG170 doesn't have a Floyd Rose, just a cheap vintage style tremolo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
TS, you'd have been more of an idiot if you'd bought a Marshall amp...be thankful

And both those RGs are great guitars, they'll last you forever.

Main differences are the 1570 has no pickguard, different pickups and the Edge Pro bridge which is still an excellent trem but doesn't have the zero point system - your RG170 doesn't have a Floyd Rose, just a cheap vintage style tremolo.

Lol i thought Marshall amps are considered as one of the best companies makin amps, i may be wrong.

Also This new trem on the RG2550z whats the difference between it and the previous models, i mean i dont really get what zero point actually mean, all i can see is that it looks different but i dont get how it is actually different from other trems.
IMO, the RG1570 is the way to go.

Edge Pro > Edge Zero bridge. Besides, excluding the different bridges, the guitars are almost exactly the same.
Quote by Warewolf_n
Lol i thought Marshall amps are considered as one of the best companies makin amps, i may be wrong.

Also This new trem on the RG2550z whats the difference between it and the previous models, i mean i dont really get what zero point actually mean, all i can see is that it looks different but i dont get how it is actually different from other trems.

Don't get me wrong, they still make some great amps, just not for less than 1000 euros ...all their cheaper stuff is rubbish.

The zero point system allows you to adjust the minimum force required to move the trem, that gives you improved tuning stability when bending and also means it's a bit simpler to change tunings if you're into that sort of thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by V.U.K
IMO, the RG1570 is the way to go.

Edge Pro > Edge Zero bridge. Besides, excluding the different bridges, the guitars are almost exactly the same.

Now why do people say that, whats so bad about Edge Zero that makes it infirior to the Edge Pro?
Wikipedia never fails but still do you guys think the RG2550z is good i mean from what i know its pretty new its the 2008 edition and not many people have gotten it. Should i buy this or maybe think of some other guitar?
Hrm... IF you can find one in your pricerange, you might be interested in a older 550, the colors are amazing (and obnoxious) you could get an original (87-90 something) for around 400-700 USD and a Re-Issue (they reissued the desert yellow, road flare red and black in 07) for around 500-1100 usds depending on if you get a good deal or not. Same guitar but I prefer the obnoxiously colored ones, plus it would be used so it would be cheaper.

But I really like the RG550 over the 570, call me biased but the 570 looks naked without a pickguard, the Edge Pro and Edge zero are both awesome trems, (but I prefer the zero, really soft feel for a floyd.) the pickups can do whatever you want on either, but obviously expect them to handle your kind of music better then they will handle jazz and stuff. Oh and the original wizard is the thinnest neck ibanez makes/ever made There SUPER WIDE and SUPER FLAT but I love it, plays like the proverbial "butter"

http://www.musikanten.no/bilder/ibanez%20rg550.jpg

There is a picture of the re-issues, the originals come in those colors plus white, then when you move into the 90's theres a few other colors, (candy apple red, Metallic rose, lazer blue) I also prefer the maple fretboard on those guitars, the much smoother feel really helps with all your shredding, not knocking rosewood though I love that too.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by milkmanv1
Hrm... IF you can find one in your pricerange, you might be interested in a older 550, the colors are amazing (and obnoxious) you could get an original (87-90 something) for around 400-700 USD and a Re-Issue (they reissued the desert yellow, road flare red and black in 07) for around 500-1100 usds depending on if you get a good deal or not. Same guitar but I prefer the obnoxiously colored ones, plus it would be used so it would be cheaper.

But I really like the RG550 over the 570, call me biased but the 570 looks naked without a pickguard, the Edge Pro and Edge zero are both awesome trems, (but I prefer the zero, really soft feel for a floyd.) the pickups can do whatever you want on either, but obviously expect them to handle your kind of music better then they will handle jazz and stuff. Oh and the original wizard is the thinnest neck ibanez makes/ever made There SUPER WIDE and SUPER FLAT but I love it, plays like the proverbial "butter"

http://www.musikanten.no/bilder/ibanez%20rg550.jpg

There is a picture of the re-issues, the originals come in those colors plus white, then when you move into the 90's theres a few other colors, (candy apple red, Metallic rose, lazer blue) I also prefer the maple fretboard on those guitars, the much smoother feel really helps with all your shredding, not knocking rosewood though I love that too.

Thxs for the suggestion but to be honest im not really drawn and atracted to the way those guitars look maybe im just not into the old gheto classic look, i kinda preffer the way 2550z looks even if its not much different and i would feel better buying a guitar made in 2008 that just has a warm fuzzy feeling to it for some reason :S
haha its all good, just trying to help with what I can. I've never played the 2550s but I can say there almost exactly the same just new.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by Warewolf_n
Wikipedia never fails but still do you guys think the RG2550z is good i mean from what i know its pretty new its the 2008 edition and not many people have gotten it. Should i buy this or maybe think of some other guitar?

The RG2550Z is just an update of the RG2550E which has an Edge pro trem and maybe some minor minor changes.

And guess what? The RG2550E was a kickass guitar.

I think you should go for it, as long as you are good with thin flat necks and are willing to learn how to maintain a trem.
Quote by Warewolf_n
............ Its good to have a birthday not far away from Christmas lol. Btw somethin i just found out my birthday is on 9/11/1989, 9/11!!! oh sike that 9th November lol Europe.).........................

you JUST found out your birthday
SIGNATURE
Quote by KaFuCh
you JUST found out your birthday

nop i mean that i just found out that my birthday is on Nine as in 9, Eleven as in 11, as in the day those towers came down in new york which is kinda freaky but actualy since im from europe that the ninth day of november and not the eleventh day of september, i mean who want their birthday to be on 9/11 ??
Quote by Mwoit
The RG2550Z is just an update of the RG2550E which has an Edge pro trem and maybe some minor minor changes.

And guess what? The RG2550E was a kickass guitar.

I think you should go for it, as long as you are good with thin flat necks and are willing to learn how to maintain a trem.

Well im familiar with RG guitars and i like the thin neck and maintaining the trem is not a problem for me i remember in the begining it was a big pain in the a$$ but im comfortable with it now.

So basicly its a great guitar for the long run it just comes to personal taste and whether youlike the design? But would any of you guys relly on this guitar as your main, thats what im basicly trying to do, I want to buy a guitar that will serve me for ages and will be my Main guitar and not as a backup

thxs
Quote by Warewolf_n
nop i mean that i just found out that my birthday is on Nine as in 9, Eleven as in 11, as in the day those towers came down in new york which is kinda freaky but actualy since im from europe that the ninth day of november and not the eleventh day of september, i mean who want their birthday to be on 9/11 ??

wtf

Your parents have only just told you what day you were born on???

Meanies.

Why exactly is that date freaky? I'd estimate that another 188,045,595 people share your birthday with you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
wtf

Your parents have only just told you what day you were born on???

Meanies.

Why exactly is that date freaky? I'd estimate that another 188,045,595 people share your birthday with you.

Its probably more like 178,045,595 people, but who's counting .
Still saying i was born on nine eleven sounds weird
If you're worried about the 2550Z, then why not get the 1570? The 1570 has been out for a few years and is "proven" to have a good trem.

I am planning on getting a 1570 sometime next year, if my funds permit it.
IMO you cant go wrong with either of them.

Good luck!
Quote by Wylde_Man

IMO you cant go wrong with either of them.

Good luck!

Thats what i wanted to hear lol, well come christmas time ill gather all of the money i have n probably will have to sell my soul and get this guitar, ill think ill get the galaxy black, im not into white guitars they look too 'prety'

Btw is anyone familiar at all with the Dimarzio ibz pickups i mean what i really want to know if they have a good sustain power, cause i really hate guitars especialy the one i have now in which u play a note and it dims and goes away realy fast while u want to have it ring for a while
Any feedback would be nice
Last edited by Warewolf_n at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Warewolf_n

Btw is anyone familiar at all with the Dimarzio ibz pickups i mean what i really want to know if they have a good sustain power, cause i really hate guitars especialy the one i have now in which u play a note and it dims and goes away realy fast while u want to have it ring for a while
Any feedback would be nice

While pickups do affect this, this has more to do with your amp set up and technique.

As for the Dimarzio / IBZ pickups, I personally think they are pretty good. I think they are much better than the stock V / S series pickups (blergh!) personally, but some users might tell you to bin them ASAP.
Quote by Mwoit
While pickups do affect this, this has more to do with your amp set up and technique.

Thats definately true, but surely the pickups play a big role in the guitars sustain power regardless of the amp right?
the dimarzio/ibz pups are good, I have them on a prestige Ibanez and whilst it's the only part of the guitar I would upgrade (eventually) I think they're more than good enough. Some day I will rip them out an get some SD's.

I'd say you're on to a winner with either of those guitars, you'll love the thin neck, the switching system is awesome, especially since you'd have HSH config, the build quality is perfect and like most guitars, if you treat them right then they'll last you a life time.

A grand affords you a massive selection of guitars to choose from, so I'd definitely consider all options. Check out the reviews on Harmony Central
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Warewolf_n
Thats definately true, but surely the pickups play a big role in the guitars sustain power regardless of the amp right?

Eh.. for sustain I'd say Technique > Bridge > Amp > Pickups. So no. But if you want a failsafe guitar this is what you want. As you're already comfy with trems what could go wrong?

Edit: forgot wood. Wood's important too. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity

Edit: forgot wood. Wood's important too. ^^

Yeh dont forget about the wood lol, wood is important, its got basswood if i remember correctly, im not an expert in wood, but is that wood any good? whats the order, of the good wood to crappy wood?i know only of mahagony and some other.

Also how easy is it to switch and upgrade pickups in ibanez guitars and guitar like this with the HSH config i mean do any pickups fit into this guitar or is it just some if you get lucky
Quote by Warewolf_n
Yeh dont forget about the wood lol, wood is important, its got basswood if i remember correctly, im not an expert in wood, but is that wood any good? whats the order, of the good wood to crappy wood?i know only of mahagony and some other.

Also how easy is it to switch and upgrade pickups in ibanez guitars and guitar like this with the HSH config i mean do any pickups fit into this guitar or is it just some if you get lucky

There is no "best" wood, but there are some preferred woods for certain sounds and types of music. Here is a decent guide to most woods.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Pickups are "generally" the same size, so as far as i know you shouldn't have any problem putting different pickups into either one of those guitars. The only problem i have heard of is putting EMG's into the 1570, because they are SLIGHTLY bigger than the rout, so you would have to rout it out a little, if i am correct (Dont hold this against me).
Quote by Wylde_Man
There is no "best" wood, but there are some preferred woods for certain sounds and types of music. Here is a decent guide to most woods.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Pickups are "generally" the same size, so as far as i know you shouldn't have any problem putting different pickups into either one of those guitars. The only problem i have heard of is putting EMG's into the 1570, because they are SLIGHTLY bigger than the rout, so you would have to rout it out a little, if i am correct (Dont hold this against me).

Nice thxs for the info, lol the only reason that i mentioned upgrading pickups is because i was thinking of the EMGs, i like the way they look on a guitar but from what i've heared they are only good for playing metall on full volume, i might be wrong though
You'd be daft to change pickups because of looks - if that's your only concern then just get some covers for the stock pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by eyebanez333
Its a great guitar, play very nice. Just wish I could afford one =)

Yeah it takes a while to come up with that money
Quote by steven seagull
You'd be daft to change pickups because of looks - if that's your only concern then just get some covers for the stock pickups.

Yeah i know that its lame but im just saying that i like the way EMG's look, im defenetly not taking into account the looks as much as the quality with this guitar heck i dont even care for looks.

BTW isnt it kinda cheasy to put covers for stock pickups ( ive seen them being sold) just to replicate the EMG look?
Last edited by Warewolf_n at Dec 2, 2008,
Page 1 of 4