I'd just like to get some opinions on what happened with my last band. You know the old saying, there's 3 sides to every story; yours, mine, and the truth...

I joined this band that was already formed. All of the guys were good players except the other guitar player. He's a really nice guy. But a very below average guitar player. His timing is bad. He's sloppy. And he has almost no technique. Being the new guy, I kept my mouth shut about it, because I guess I felt it wasn't my place to say anything.
Every time I'd bring a new song to the band, he either couldn't play it. Or he'd ask me to write a seperate part for him. Then we went into the studio to do a cd. The engineer started asking me to redo all of his parts.
So I took the singer and the bass player aside and told them that he needed to go. They agreed with my points about him, but were reluctant to do anything about it. This dragged out for a couple of weeks. Finally, I told the singer that we should sit this guy down and tell him what's up. He says ok. About a half hour later, I get a phone call from the other guitarist. He tells me that the singer had told him what I'd said. I explained to him that its not a personal attack. But that his lack of ability is holding the band back. And I spelled out for him why. He disagreed with me and said that he wouldn't step down. So I told him that one of us would be leaving the band, and I'd let the rest of the band decide who that would be.
The other guys said that they didn't want me to leave, but wouldn't pull the trigger on booting him. So I made the decision for them and quit.

This has bugged me ever since. I feel like the other guys in the band threw me under the bus. But maybe I'm the jerk.
What do you think
The other members were a little bit cowardly, but I probably would have been reluctant to insult another member that way as well. I don't think you're a jerk, unless you were really rude to the poor guitarist.

Oh well, it's their loss. How can people not know when they suck?

OMG. Maybe YOU suck and just like the other guitarist, you don't know it either and they let you leave because you were THAT bad!

Glad I helped.
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Nov 26, 2008,
People are strange. Must have been a really good friend to not boot him.
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.
Maybe they were friends and were doing it for fun? You should have suggested he practice more, or help him and teach him not just demand he be kicked, that was kind of a asshole move IMO.
D;
Quote by ughhhhhhhh
Maybe they were friends and were doing it for fun? You should have suggested he practice more, or help him and teach him not just demand he be kicked, that was kind of a asshole move IMO.

Yeah, I thought maybe he could have offered to help him, but then maybe he would have come across as arrogant and conceited.
XIAOXI
seth's daddy.

The only reason they kicked you out is because they are all homosexual, and the guy just has a bigger penis.
Quote by Abunai X
Yeah, I thought maybe he could have offered to help him, but then maybe he would have come across as arrogant and conceited.

Yeah that's true man, but I think it would have come across a lot less arrogant and conceited telling him in person that he should try a bit harder for the band and for himself than just telling the other members to kick him.
D;
I would of let you go too, if some new guy came into my band and tried to get me to fire one of the other members I would take that as a major insult. I would've fired you on the spot instead of letting you decide to quit though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
being in a band nad playing music isnt all about making it big, it's about enjoyment, maybe they enjoy playing music with him, therefore yes you are the asshole
they were wrong but you shouldnt have forced him to leave, you shouldve held your ground and helped him get better
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I really fail to see how the band was wrong for not going along with a new member who wanted to kick someone out.

Last.fm
Maybe I should clarify a few things:

*I played in this band for almost a year.
*I did try to help the other guy, he just never practiced.
*Regarding whether or not they were just doing it for fun, we played over 50 shows in the time I was with them. And they were trying to get a record deal.
If he was that bad they were wrong to let you go instead of him. Maybe it's coz he had been there for longer and they were used to him?
Lol just go start your own band. Then you can decide who to kick out etc.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
well, in that case you have a little better standing, but ultimately whether or not someone gets fired is a band decision (in most cases) and they obviously out voted you.

Last.fm
Well if that's "the truth" then you did nothing wrong. You were a professional, and they weren't. Professionals have no strings attached. They should have no problem firing someone if that person is unable to play as expected. Like you said, it's not personal, it's just business.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well if that's "the truth" then you did nothing wrong. You were a professional, and they weren't. Professionals have no strings attached. They should have no problem firing someone if that person is unable to play as expected. Like you said, it's not personal, it's just business.

but, in reality most bands don't really work that way.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Depends on what type of band you're talking about. A fully paying, professional band will have no qualms firing a guy on the spot. If you don't show up on time or dress properly or behave properly or any other quirk that is demanded by the client, you're fired. I've been around plenty of local professional bands and this is standard procedures for them. I also think it's much more efficient than a band consisted of personal attachments.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Depends on what type of band you're talking about. A fully paying, professional band will have no qualms firing a guy on the spot. If you don't show up on time or dress properly or behave properly or any other quirk that is demanded by the client, you're fired. I've been around plenty of local professional bands and this is standard procedures for them. I also think it's much more efficient than a band consisted of personal attachments.

I know cover bands, and bands that center around one or two people that do this, but in most band the entire group works as a collective unit and you can't let one person go without completely changing the dynamic of the group. I've never been in a band where any party involved in any aspect of the group was called "the client" either, so that leads me to think that you are talking more about professional cover bands or something.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I know cover bands, and bands that center around one or two people that do this, but in most band the entire group works as a collective unit and you can't let one person go without completely changing the dynamic of the group. I've never been in a band where any party involved in any aspect of the group was called "the client" either, so that leads me to think that you are talking more about professional cover bands or something.

Well most jazz bands are "cover bands" in nature. They play mostly play established music, but of course they have their own interpretations which also means unique dynamics within the group. The client I'm talking about is the people who hire/book the band to play. So I guess it's mostly the culture of jazz and classical that have no problems with this. But you're right about it in rock and other contemporary pop music which have the notions that a band consists of friends/personal relations rather than just individual musicians that form an ensemble.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
their loss.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Quote by Abunai X
The other members were a little bit cowardly, but I probably would have been reluctant to insult another member that way as well. I don't think you're a jerk, unless you were really rude to the poor guitarist.

Oh well, it's their loss. How can people not know when they suck?

OMG. Maybe YOU suck and just like the other guitarist, you don't know it either and they let you leave because you were THAT bad!

Glad I helped.

Agreed my friend
a little lost.....
Quote by ughhhhhhhh

I agree here, but i dont think your a jerk, i can see where you are coming from but maybe they jsut want to be one of those friend bands that have fun. But if they are looking to become professional musicians than you are more in the right.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Xiaoxi

very very true, but TS didnt specify what kind of band this is. If its a punk band or even a non progressive metal band i can sort of see where the band members are coming from. they probably saw it as an insult that some guy just came in and tried to get rid of the other guy. Hell Lars Ulrich could barley play but he was an orignal member of Metallica and theyve somehow managed to get by with him. If this were a Jazz or a Frank Zappa thing or even people that planned on playing music for the rest of their lives and actually paying the bills with it then you are in the right.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Think Frank Zappa.
When Steve Vai auditioned for his band back then, he said that Zappa was a bad-ass and made him play the most impossible **** that didn't make any sense and even after he did it all Zappa told him that he should go play somewhere else (he eventually did get the position though). Frank was also very keen about having perfect musicians and would fire people for lack of professionality.
i think you were right to tell the other members about your concerns but you can't really blame the other guys for sticking with their friend. you were right in the professional sense and they were right in the buddy sense.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Fuzzbox91
very very true, but TS didnt specify what kind of band this is. If its a punk band or even a non progressive metal band i can sort of see where the band members are coming from. they probably saw it as an insult that some guy just came in and tried to get rid of the other guy. Hell Lars Ulrich could barley play but he was an orignal member of Metallica and theyve somehow managed to get by with him. If this were a Jazz or a Frank Zappa thing or even people that planned on playing music for the rest of their lives and actually paying the bills with it then you are in the right.

I guess, but generally that's how it works. Rock can be an exception, but that's just standard procedures.

My arranging teacher was telling us about how her friend, a very good trumpet player, was hired for a recording session with a big band. He was chewing gum to keep his lips moist for playing, but apparently the director didn't like that. The director told him once but he thought nothing of it. The second time he told him, he said "here's the money that you've made as of now. Take your shit and get out."

Br00talz

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Think Frank Zappa.
When Steve Vai auditioned for his band back then, he said that Zappa was a bad-ass and made him play the most impossible **** that didn't make any sense and even after he did it all Zappa told him that he should go play somewhere else (he eventually did get the position though). Frank was also very keen about having perfect musicians and would fire people for lack of professionality.

yea but not everyone works like frank zappa, in fact no one works like frank zappa.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by 5th_fret
their loss.

+1
Quote by Insanitydenied
I try to be the quiet musician type, but there's too much to say.

OF THE BASS MILITIA - PM Nutter_101 to join

FUCK PARAMORE.

HOT LESBIANS

Centered, Bitch.

Yes, I'm only 14. So?