I'm in the process of registering for next semester's classes (I'm a first semester student). I get to choose the class times, so I'm trying work out a schedule right now. For my first semester, everything was pre-arranged so I had no control over it. However, next semester, I am looking to get work. I also don't like waking up early...

So far, I've tried to accommodate my preferences by cramming a bunch of classes on mostly Mondays through Wednesdays. Earliest classes are going to be around 10-11am and last ones will finish by 6pm. I will have one or two classes that leak into Thursday/Friday, but I'm trying to leave this space empty for 2 reasons...

1. It would give me time to do my homework that will pile up from the crammed classes.
2. It will give me time availability for a job. If my schedule was scattered all over the places, then I wouldn't be a very good candidate for work...(most likely in my school's work-study program).

So my question to older/more experienced college students: Do you think this is a good idea? What would you suggest and how do you personally prefer your schedule?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I think it's best generally to spread you classes out over 4 days, morning or evening is your choice, but 10-6 would be hard for a lot of jobs since you couldn't work first or second shift.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I think it's best generally to spread you classes out over 4 days, morning or evening is your choice, but 10-6 would be hard for a lot of jobs since you couldn't work first or second shift.

Well, if I leave Thursday and Friday empty, I'd have basically 4 straight days off. Wouldn't that allow me a lot of consecutive shift availability? Also, do work study programs try to work around your schedule?

And right now I have 2 classes around noon on Thurs and 1 noon on Friday...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, if I leave Thursday and Friday empty, I'd have basically 4 straight days off. Wouldn't that allow me a lot of consecutive shift availability? Also, do work study programs try to work around your schedule?

And right now I have 2 classes around noon on Thurs and 1 noon on Friday...

work study can vary, they usually try to be as flexible as possible from my experience (when I did work study I worked in the drama dept.s set shop and they had no set hours, I could come in and work whenever the shop was open as long as a consistently logged 15 hours a week) I would talk to whoever is in charge of work study about getting that set up before finalizing your class schedule.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I could come in and work whenever the shop was open as long as a consistently logged 15 hours a week.

Wow that's awesome. Hopefully there's something like that...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You have to keep in mind if you have a lot of classes right in row you may feel like skipping a few more than you would if they were all spread out. Also if your really hung over you may end up missing a lot of classes in a row.
Quote by robarge00
You have to keep in mind if you have a lot of classes right in row you may feel like skipping a few more than you would if they were all spread out. Also if your really hung over you may end up missing a lot of classes in a row.

Nah, I really try not to skip classes and I don't party/drink.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
kudos on scheduling around work. i scheduled second semester around my sleep and budding alcoholism.
#DTWD
Quote by robarge00

Disagree with this. When you have a few classes in a row and you know you have to go to one of them, then you'll most likely go to all of them.
Quote by primusfan
kudos on scheduling around work. i scheduled second semester around my sleep and budding alcoholism.

Well, I am scheduling around sleep, but not alcoholism...

...yet.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Cramming in one day isn't a good idea, cause you won't get the most out of those lectures; also having classes later in the day is really depressing, so try to keep them in the morning.
Most importantly avoid having schedule gaps.
Quote by MiG_853
Cramming in one day isn't a good idea, cause you won't get the most out of those lectures; also having classes later in the day is really depressing, so try to keep them in the morning.

having them later in the day isn't that bad if you're the kind of person who likes to sleep in all the time. Like for me I usually don't wake up till like 11, so all of my classes where in the afternoon/early evening.

Last.fm
Quote by MiG_853

Well I have an average of 3 classes per day from M-W right now...

Why is it depressing to have classes later during the day? I don't mind... plus I'm studying what I really want to learn.

I'm actually going to have to take off a few classes because I have gone over my credit point limit. GOD IM PISSED.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well I have an average of 3 classes per day from M-W right now...

Why is it depressing to have classes later during the day? I don't mind... plus I'm studying what I really want to learn.

I'm actually going to have to take off a few classes because I have gone over my credit point limit. GOD IM PISSED.

You won't be pissed when you realize how much work all of that is. Part of the reason they have credit limits is to keep people from overloading themselves and dropping a bunch of classes later.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
You won't be pissed when you realize how much work all of that is. Part of the reason they have credit limits is to keep people from overloading themselves and dropping a bunch of classes later.

Well I can't say for sure, but honestly... I've had so much free time this semester. I have about maybe 2 hours of real textbook work for the entire week. Of course, this is not counting instrumental practice and music arranging projects...which I pull all-nighters for once per week, but that's it. I've had lots of time to diddle around.

But you're right, I think next semester is about to get really busy because a few of these intro classes that I'm taking right now will over and the real application classes begin.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
yeah, they generally try to ease you into things first and sometimes second semester when you start, then it gets a lot harder, unless you major in communications or something, then it gets easier.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, they generally try to ease you into things first and sometimes second semester when you start, then it gets a lot harder, unless you major in communications or something, then it gets easier.

Haha.

I'm heading for both composition and music business. Usually in a double major you have to attend an extra year of school to get all of the classes in, but I've gotten a considerable head start. The only problem is my head start has resulted in too many classes. It sucks...I really want to finish in 3.5 years but now it's not looking likely.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Next semester is pretty much the opposite for me, I've got classes early most mornings but almost nothing in the afternoons so I guess I'll have to be productive.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Next semester is pretty much the opposite for me, I've got classes early most mornings but almost nothing in the afternoons so I guess I'll have to be productive.

Get a job you bum.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
... unless you major in communications or something, then it gets easier.

i'm thinking about switching to english though! does that make me smart?

i is wants to be intelligent.
#DTWD
Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a job you bum.

I know I'll go broke by relying solely on my student loan, if I budget it right now I really only have enough to just pay rent until the end of the school year, no food or anything
Quote by primusfan

i'm thinking about switching to english though! does that make me smart?

i is wants to be intelligent.

do you go to U of L? they have a great english department, the music department is pretty damn good too.

Last.fm
Quote by Godsmack_IV
I know I'll go broke by relying solely on my student loan, if I budget it right now I really only have enough to just pay rent until the end of the school year, no food or anything

Wow that sucks. Are your parents supporting? Also you could cram in more classes like me...

The reason why I'm trying to finish in 3.5 years is so that I can save a semester's worth of money (around 20,000 total). So you can think about saving money that way...

Quote by primusfan
nah. BU.

...Boston University?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by primusfan
Bu.

ahh yeah, no idea then, I know people that go/went there but have no idea what they are good at teaching. But yes, majoring in English is in any case much more worthwhile than majoring in communications

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
ahh yeah, no idea then, I know people that go/went there but have no idea what they are good at teaching. But yes, majoring in English is in any case much more worthwhile than majoring in communications

yeah, i like the english department so far. i'm taking an american lit class next semester which my current professor said would indicate whether or not it's right for me as a major.

there's a really good music department there. i don't know how reputable the english dept is but i'm pretty certain the music department is considered one of their best. most of my friends are music tech majors.
#DTWD
^you didn't answer my question!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Wow that sucks. Are your parents supporting? Also you could cram in more classes like me...

The reason why I'm trying to finish in 3.5 years is so that I can save a semester's worth of money (around 20,000 total). So you can think about saving money that way...

My parents have helped out quite a bit but they don't have a bunch of money sitting around. They bought me a lot of essential stuff before I left and they pay my phone bill so I can't complain. It was my choice to move 5 hours away to go to university, my mom wanted me to go to the local college (cheaper and I could have stayed at home) and my dad wanted me to go to the Royal Military College (free + pay, with strings attached).

20 000$ seems like a lot for just one semester but it would be worth looking into to save a bit of money.
Quote by Xiaoxi
^you didn't answer my question!

I'm pretty sure he means Bellarmine University, unless theres some other college with the same initials here that I am unaware of.

Last.fm
Quote by Godsmack_IV
My parents have helped out quite a bit but they don't have a bunch of money sitting around. They bought me a lot of essential stuff before I left and they pay my phone bill so I can't complain. It was my choice to move 5 hours away to go to university, my mom wanted me to go to the local college (cheaper and I could have stayed at home) and my dad wanted me to go to the Royal Military College (free + pay, with strings attached).

20 000$ seems like a lot for just one semester but it would be worth looking into to save a bit of money.

Kudos for paying things for yourself. My parents are pretty much shelling out all of the money. I feel bad...I'm going to repay them in full later though.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I'm pretty sure he means Bellarmine University, unless theres some other college with the same initials here that I am unaware of.

Ah. BU is also Boston University.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana