hey guys..question.. which of these two amps would be a better option? their prices don't differ much and they both have quite the same specs.. i have a marshall mg50dfx and i want something smaller to practice on that can also be used along with a drum.. and i'm thinking of these two.. which would have a better sound and tone when turned at a high volume?.. i use a PRS SE Standard.. i play alternative, cleans, a little of rock, blues.. but i want a versatile practice amp that can handle many music styles and sounds.. i don't like tube amps and modelling amps.. i prefer solid state combo amps.. thanks..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
orange 30r. do it.
now.
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
Can I suggest selling the MG and getting one amp for everything? You say you prefer SS, I'll respect that although I'm not sure why unless (like me) you're scared of maintenance and the other things that come with tube amps, but for what you can get selling the MG and what you've got, you can probably get a Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 60r, which sounds great at high and low volumes and has the best SS cleans this side of a Roland Jazz Chorus.

If you must get one of those 2 amps, I owned a Crush 30R and used it for alt and punk rock, and I gotta say it's pretty good. I don't know much about the Envoy.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by deltacross
i don't like tube amps and modelling amps.. i prefer solid state combo amps.. thanks..

'Prefer'...or are just used to them?

And the Peavey Transtubes are some of the best solid-state combos you'l ever find, warm toned and built like tanks. Definitely go investigate some low-priced valve amps too though.
Quote by shadow__666
Can I suggest selling the MG and getting one amp for everything? You say you prefer SS, I'll respect that although I'm not sure why unless (like me) you're scared of maintenance and the other things that come with tube amps, but for what you can get selling the MG and what you've got, you can probably get a Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 60r, which sounds great at high and low volumes and has the best SS cleans this side of a Roland Jazz Chorus.

If you must get one of those 2 amps, I owned a Crush 30R and used it for alt and punk rock, and I gotta say it's pretty good. I don't know much about the Envoy.

who's going to buy the MG?
A n00b who thinks "OMGITSTEHMARSHALLZSLAHSPLAYZ1ITSTEHBROOTZ!!!"
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i don't like tube amps because aside from the maintenance, they're too costly for me..also i'd like a solid state amp because it's very portable..that's my opinion..my brother uses the marshall.. it was our first amp.. i didn't look for reviews though before buying it.. i bought it at half it's price since it was on sale and i think it was a good buy though it's only an MG.. so in our house, me and my brother play the guitar.. i would not sell it because we need to have two amps that can play along with the drums.. he also uses a good multi-effects pedal so the tone of the MG is quite compensated..

anyway..going back to the topic.. i think many chose the orange over the peavey?.. is it not an advantage of the peavey that it has a vintage and modern channels? i mean, the orange only has your average high-middle-low-gain settings..

my budget is also just withing the orange and peavey's price range. i would not want something with 12" speaker as it would be very heavy when being carried..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
^Dude, you can be a total elitist prick at times. Seriously, if the TS wants a solid state amp, who are you to tell him to get a "real" amp? Hell, if Dimebag and Greg Ginn can use SS there's no reason why anyone else can't just because you don't think they're "real" amps.

TS: You don't need 2 channels if one works fine. The Crush channel is good enough for your needs.
Quote by Cathbard
thanks there shadow 666.. so the orange crush 30R would be a better option then?.. well.. would not the 2 channels add versatility and range to the tone?.. hmm.. i'd love to try and compare both amps side by side unfortunately, two different music stores carry them individually..i mean, one carries the orange and the other carries the peavey and both are in different malls quite far apart.. so i'm solely relying on opinions and reviews of people who've tried or own them.. i'm fixing my options with this two amps.. if you have other suggestions, please feel free.. just take note that i don't want tube amps and i would need only a practice or small gig amp 30-40 watts with a 10" speaker.. thanks..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
I happen to have a Peavey Envoy 110. I don't really like the tone and versatility of it to be honest. I play on the Roland Cube 30 I also currently have a lot more. The clean and gain channel are nicer sounding on the Roland Cube. That's just preference though.

Take it from someone who has a Peavey Envoy 110, save up and get a better amp rather than getting something around $200. I'm not sure what are some good SS amps that aren't modelling amps at $200+, but I'm sure there is something much better than the Peavey envoy.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
I happen to have a Peavey Envoy 110. I don't really like the tone and versatility of it to be honest. I play on the Roland Cube 30 I also currently have a lot more. The clean and gain channel are nicer sounding on the Roland Cube. That's just preference though.

Take it from someone who has a Peavey Envoy 110, save up and get a better amp rather than getting something around $200. I'm not sure what are some good SS amps that aren't modelling amps at $200+, but I'm sure there is something much better than the Peavey envoy.

well, honestly i liked the roland cube30x.. apparently, it's a modelling guitar amp if i'm not mistaken.. and to me, it seems a bit too digital.. no offense.. it's just my opinion.. so i took it out of my checklist.. anyway, would you recommend the orange crush over the envoy?.. by the way, what styles of music do you play and what guitar do you use with the envoy?
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
if i were you, i'd go for the Peavey. i've used it once when i tested my guitar and i was surprised at its tone.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by deltacross
well, honestly i liked the roland cube30x.. apparently, it's a modelling guitar amp if i'm not mistaken.. and to me, it seems a bit too digital.. no offense.. it's just my opinion.. so i took it out of my checklist.. anyway, would you recommend the orange crush over the envoy?.. by the way, what styles of music do you play and what guitar do you use with the envoy?

I have not played the Orange Crush so I can't recommend it. The only amps I've played are an older Roland, the Roland Cube 30 (not the 30X), and some Hughes & Kettner 40W tube that sounded brilliant, and also one of those Squier/Fender Frontmans that come with the Squier Starter pack.

I play mostly on the clean channel, various chord progressions and major/minor scales, the basic stuff, I don't really play "musical style" right now, just trying to get my technique and music understanding down. BTW, I've played on the Peavey with a Fender MIM Strat and a PRS SE Tremonti.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Along with the Crush, also look into a Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 30 model. I got the 60 watter, and I highly recommend it. It's got great clean, and while the distortion isn't the greatest just get a cheap distortion pedal and you're set.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Horlicks
Neither, keep the MG. Then save up for a real amp.

although this is an elitist-esque statement, it has some truth to it. save up for a peavey classic 30, which normally run around 300 USD used. You won't regret it.

edit:
if you must have solid state, the peavey vypyr amps are nice. just pretend that they're not modeling amps...
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
I would recommend looking into a Fender Super Champ XD
Seriously, great sounding cleans, uses a tube POWER amp and a solid state preamp, so you still get great tone, and good portability. Sides they are only like 279. They have lots of models so you can practice any style. Highly recommend it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075
hughes and ketter and very hard to find here in the philippines.. i don't think any store carries it here.. i also don't look at tube amps or some used amps.. i would want something that's brand new to make sure there are less issues i'll worry about..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
If you're sticking with SS then a Peavey Envoy is a great choice. It has great cleans, a decent amount of gain, and is very versatile (I use to own one and there are times that I wish I hadn't sold it lol).

As for the Orange, I have never tried one so I can't give any personal input... however, I've heard that it really isn't that great of an amp, kinda like Orange's "MG" - but like I said, I've never personally played one so all I can do is repeat what I have heard.

The Peavey Vypyr series, Roland Cube series, and Vox Valvetronix series are all three worth looking into as well.
Too bad you live so far a way. I would have sold you my Peavey Bandit 112 for a smokin deal. Pristine shape, really!

Ok, I'm not a big fan of the new Peavey, low quality stuff. There older stuff kicks butt though
Quote by shadow__666
^Dude, you can be a total elitist prick at times. Seriously, if the TS wants a solid state amp, who are you to tell him to get a "real" amp? Hell, if Dimebag and Greg Ginn can use SS there's no reason why anyone else can't just because you don't think they're "real" amps.

TS: You don't need 2 channels if one works fine. The Crush channel is good enough for your needs.

Listen, I said 'Real' amp, not 'tube' amp. The Crush is absolutely dire and the Peavey isn't much better.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
although this is an elitist-esque statement, it has some truth to it. save up for a peavey classic 30, which normally run around 300 USD used. You won't regret it.

I didn't recommend a valve amp. Hell, I wouldn't recommend the Classic 30 anyway, but that's just me.
Quote by MustangSVT
I happen to have a Peavey Envoy 110. I don't really like the tone and versatility of it to be honest.

I can second that. I had an Envoy until I accidentally blew it up when demonstrating why you shouldn't use high output pickups on a solid state amp. It's cleans are lifeless and the distortion is no better than you would expect from any regular ol' starter amp.

If you are dead set on an Envoy or a Orange 30r then I'd go with the orange but in all honesty I think you can do better than those.

Save an extra $40.00 you can get a Vox AD30VT which is a very nice practice amp that could even get you through a gig in a pinch. It's great for blues, rock, alternative, jazz and has very nice cleans. The roland cube is another great practice amp that is only around $40 more than the orange. The cube is better than the vox if you like to play heavier music but if you don't want to do anything to heavy then get the vox.

Really, your MG is just as nice as the what you are looking for so just try and hold out until you can save up the extra $40 for an amp that will sound good.
Not taking any online orders.