Page 1 of 2
Quote by JackalUK
Not being a pussy helps.

This.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I never have trouble finding joy in playing guitar. Ever. I don't understand why some people have trouble finding motivation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I never have trouble finding joy in playing guitar. Ever. I don't understand why some people have trouble finding motivation.

its not motivation, its listening to stairway to heaven, then listening to your songs, then stairway to heaven again and going damn, such a long way to go
Quote by tands
its not motivation, its listening to stairway to heaven, then listening to your songs, then stairway to heaven again and going damn, such a long way to go

Don't base your talent off of bands like Led Zeppelin. Not every song is going to be great, the idea is to keep making new ones, and you'll get better as you go along.

At least for me.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
If I was you, I'd use those periods of feeling like utter **** to study theory more intensely. I mean, find out what makes stairway to heaven sound so damn good and how you could apply it to your own music.
But don't get too caught up on theory, ever. Your ear is the final judge of anything.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
I kill myself at least 7 times, then I get over it and go back to practicing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I study jazz and classical so I do not have this problem.

/towering skyscraper horse

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by tands

Anyone who's expecting to just write another Stairway is a moron. I'm not saying you shouldn't want to but c'mon, be realistic, it's not just going to happen like that.

More to the point I still don't have trouble motivating myself, I listen to my favourite songs and more or less forget that I play guitar unless I'm trying to figure them out by ear.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
doesnt everyone want to have been the person to write stairway, even some of the greatest songwriters would have sat there and thought **** a duck, this is the greatest song in history, i wish i could have written it. my songs suck ass compared to this.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Just give up, because Callo just destroyed you.
Quote by daytripper75
if i am not pooping, i stand to pee. if i am pooping, it makes more sense to just sit down in the first place.

CALLO

Quote by Xiaoxi
I study jazz and classical so I do not have this problem.

/towering skyscraper horse

I studied jazz at one point, that made it even worse.

Last.fm
Yeah me neither. I never ever get bored or tired or pissed off with playing. You have to stick with it.
I don't really understand why someone who didn't love playing would WANT to play at all...
If i get a bit down about not being able to play a part i look at the reasons why i can't play it, work on it along with other totally different stuff, then go back to it. It's all practice.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I studied jazz at one point, that made it even worse.

You were doing it wrong then.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by DaveM666
take a weeks break from it, listen to loads of music, stuff you're really into, then pick it up again.

I agree with davem, just take a week's break, after it you'll find your fingers itching for a feel of your baby!
Quote by Xiaoxi
You were doing it wrong then.

no, but listening critically to jazz records and observing what they're doing gets really really old after awhile.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no, but listening critically to jazz records and observing what they're doing gets really really old after awhile.
That's only a fraction of what you were really supposed to be doing. What about learning chord inversions, interactive comping, soloing through the changes, chord-melody solos, etc? Those all make you think and play under a lot of pressure. It's always pushing me to my limit, so when I go to rock or another simpler style it's really easy.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
That's only a fraction of what you were really supposed to be doing. What about learning chord inversions, interactive comping, soloing through the changes, chord-melody solos, etc? Those all make you think and play under a lot of pressure. It's always pushing me to my limit, so when I go to rock or another simpler style it's really easy.

See I do most of that by analytical listening, I also jam along to recordings. I find this to be a much more practical and organic way to learn (it's also how most great jazz players learned). I also think it's a mistake to consider rock a simpler form when it's really very open ended and can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be (Jazz is much the same way actually, a lot of earlier jazz, which I tend to like more is deceptively simple.

Last.fm
Quote by Xiaoxi

A friend of mine studied Jazz for a year (he's a metal player) and he says it opened up so many new doors, pushed him to his limits and taught him a lot.
for a little bit i'll focus on the riffing side of things, writing songs, etc. during this time i'll write solos that focus on melodies rather than speed, but still chuck in things that help me practice, such as string skipping.

basically, if i'm playing thrash, deathgrind, andthing fast and harder to control than your average music, and i get frustrated, i'll listen to a bit of electric wizard and write some doom metal
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
See I do most of that by analytical listening, I also jam along to recordings. I find this to be a much more practical and organic way to learn (it's also how most great jazz players learned). I also think it's a mistake to consider rock a simpler form when it's really very open ended and can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be (Jazz is much the same way actually, a lot of earlier jazz, which I tend to like more is deceptively simple.

Well a lot of the things I mentioned can't be done by analytical listening. You need muscle memories for your chord inversions, subs, licks, scales, etc. So if you weren't very hands on, then obviously you were not going to improve on guitar.

Rock is, on the whole, simpler. For me it is at least. It has a lot of potential to be much more rich and engrossing but I honestly haven't heard much that is and I am quite bored with it. I do aim to write rock music as how I want to hear it though. Metal, while musically simple, is technically challenging. But I like having the mix of interactive thinking and playing in jazz the most.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well a lot of the things I mentioned can't be done by analytical listening. You need muscle memories for your chord inversions, subs, licks, scales, etc. So if you weren't very hands on, then obviously you were not going to improve on guitar.

Rock is, on the whole, simpler. For me it is at least. It has a lot of potential to be much more rich and engrossing but I honestly haven't heard much that is and I am quite bored with it. Metal, while musically simple, is technically challenging. But I like having the mix of interactive thinking and playing in jazz the most.

oh like I said, I jammed a long with recordings and learned inversions and whatnot, though I generally prefer to do scales and licks on the fly most of the time.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
oh like I said, I jammed a long with recordings and learned inversions and whatnot, though I generally prefer to do scales and licks on the fly most of the time.

Well, I'm not really trying to get at you but I'm just saying that you probably didn't utilize jazz practice to the right amount. Jamming along is one thing, but you need to have a strong technical and theoretical foundation or else jamming won't do much.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, I'm not really trying to get at you but I'm just saying that you probably didn't utilize jazz practice to the right amount. Jamming along is one thing, but you need to have a strong technical and theoretical foundation or else jamming won't do much.

I've already got the technical and theoretical foundation, my issue was that jazz didn't really do anything for me that I haven't already tried from messing with something else, I'm sure it's wonderful if you come from a rock or classical background, but to me it was just looking at what I've been doing through a more boring lens.

Last.fm
^To each his own, I suppose. Most people I know have improved dramatically after taking up jazz though. But of course there's nothing in music that works for everybody.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
it probably has something to do with the fact that I was into avant garde and industrial music before I ever looked at jazz properly, and that stuff is essentially Jazz taken to extremes anyway.

Last.fm
Well avante garde is definitely more abstract than jazz, so I can see why you would consider jazz boring given the scope of comparison.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
yep, and Industrial (proper Industrial, not stuff like NIN) gets even more abstract than that.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yep, and Industrial (proper Industrial, not stuff like NIN) gets even more abstract than that.

do you like Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend Band? they're my fav. industrial (ish) band.
as john frusciante said when asled the question - 'quit, u shouldn't have to think about it' Or u could listen 2 music u really hate to get more of an appreciation 4 music u like
My formula:

First of all, I take solace in the fact that I am NOT a professional musician, and I don't have to worry how to pay the bills with music. That takes a lot of pressure off in case I'm ever worried that I will starve if I don't make good music.

2nd, listen to something else more your speed. Find something you can almost play at your current skill level. Play it four thousand times until you could vomit from merely hearing the intro. Then find something else a little bit harder that you can master the same way. Eventually, go revisit the list of songs that you put away on your "someday..." list, and see if you can come close. The bottom line is that you need to find what you CAN do, and make sure you do that well. Don't be one of those guys who can play the intro and/or chorus riff to about 40 different songs, but couldn't play an entire song to save his life.

If you are getting frustrated to the point of quitting because you can't immediately master or create something epic, then you are doing this for the wrong reason.

I hope you're not one of those crying emo kids who weighs 86 lbs and whines about their dad issues incessantly. If you are, then you need to eat 4 cheesburgers immediately and seek therapy - you have bigger things to worry about than "Stairway".

If not, then the world will keep on turning...
Quote by tands
its more the song writing that is frustrating

getting a unique progression, lyrics, melody, riff and it still being good while original

You're too concerned with originality man, for a start it can't be done and secondly, just write what comes out, who cares if it's original as long as it's good.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Listen to crappy music (thats not what I do, but it's what you should do).

I don't get discouraged by awsome music, I get encouraged.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Page 1 of 2