http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP215-Evo-2-Bridge-Pickup?sku=309390

I'm thinking about getting that pickup.

Now this must be a very noobish thing to ask, but do certain pickup types have some sort of 'pre-distortion' or 'overdrive' set into them? Basically a very high gain, meaning if I played this at clean, I'd get a technically overdriven sound because of the pickup?

The description notes 'cleans up when rolled down to lower volume.'

Is this just a regular pickup that will sound like any other stock-pickup (sheer volume wise) on other guitars or is there more to this that I should know?
Quote by Durell, spelt like Derrell but pronounced Durell
Can I get yo beautiful ass numba?
Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP215-Evo-2-Bridge-Pickup?sku=309390

I'm thinking about getting that pickup.

Now this must be a very noobish thing to ask, but do certain pickup types have some sort of 'pre-distortion' or 'overdrive' set into them? Basically a very high gain, meaning if I played this at clean, I'd get a technically overdriven sound because of the pickup?

The description notes 'cleans up when rolled down to lower volume.'

Is this just a regular pickup that will sound like any other stock-pickup (sheer volume wise) on other guitars or is there more to this that I should know?

Hot pickups are literally louder than other pickups, what this means is that they produce a clean sound but when they get to the amp they cause more gain because of the way distortion works. Hotter pickups are also more likely to cause a tube amp to overdrive naturally.

Rolling off the volume means that you reduce the effective output of the pickup so distorted sounds get cleaner, on a decent amp you can get a pretty clean sound just by rolling off the volume on your guitar and, in my opinion, this is a skill that most guitarists should learn but most modern guitarists forget.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hot pickups are literally louder than other pickups, what this means is that they produce a clean sound but when they get to the amp they cause more gain because of the way distortion works. Hotter pickups are also more likely to cause a tube amp to overdrive naturally.

Rolling off the volume means that you reduce the effective output of the pickup so distorted sounds get cleaner, on a decent amp you can get a pretty clean sound just by rolling off the volume on your guitar and, in my opinion, this is a skill that most guitarists should learn but most modern guitarists forget.

That really helps alot, thank you.

Another question about the rolling. Are you saying that when I'd play through a heavy distortion (MT-2 eg), if I'd roll down the volume, all that would happen is that the distortion would basically just become less (duh), in a sense that I'm not losing any clarity when I INCREASE the volume?
Hot pickups are louder, but the way they distort a clean channel is nothing you ever want to hear - I have a Tone Zone and on a clean channel it just kind of sounds like you're running through a cheap overdrive pedal witha dying battery. The main reasons to choose a replacement pickup are clarity, responsiveness and for it's "voicing", the EQ curve it follows, the kind of magnet it has and also the general harmonic content - note that doesn't necessarily refer to playing harmonics, just the makeup of the sound itself in terms of which overtones are prevalent.

Generally with hot pickups you need to turn the guitar volume down a bit or use them split/parallel to get useable cleans and pick softer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Damn. So what kind of pickup would any of you suggest if I'm going for the whole chug/squeal metal? I like using pinch harmonics, but rolling down my volume is not something I'd like to do onstage. If it helps, what I mainly listen to is bands such as Suicide Silence, August Burns Red, The Devil Wears Prada.

And active pickups are a nono. I really just need something tony and (!) clear. With good p/harmonics.
Thanks in advance if anyone wants to help me out here.
There's no escaping the rolling the volume down thing, that's what everybody has to do...either that or use your neck pickup or split positions for cleans.

Pickup choice is highly dependent on the rest of your equipment, so what guitar, amp and effects are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd use the pickup on an RG370, through a Boss ME-50 into either a 100w solidstate, or whatever tube amp I can borrow at the show :P

Still saving for an amp.

I usually use compression/distortion and sometimes delay.
There's no point worrying about the output of pickups if you use the ME50 for distortion as that's going to pretty much swamp everything. If you just use it for modulation then it's no big deal, but the only issue in terms of pickups is what's wrong with the tone at the moment and how do you want it to change.

If you want something that makes things "more" distorted then a pickup change won't make a great deal of difference through a solid state amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm not looking for more distortion, I was basically just looking for a cleaner pickup basically. Cleaner and brighter, maybe with a little extra tone, if that makes any sense?

Mainly the stock ones I have now are too muddy.
Why not use the neck pickup for cleans?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
I'm not looking for more distortion, I was basically just looking for a cleaner pickup basically. Cleaner and brighter, maybe with a little extra tone, if that makes any sense?

Mainly the stock ones I have now are too muddy.

If you're looking for more clarity, particularly under distortion, then a pickup swap should help matters.

I reckon a Dimarzio D-Sonic or Steve's Special should suit you in the bridge if you're looking for a more clinical, refined tone - probably a bit more suted to rhythm stuff. If you want something with a bit more midrange and I guess "more tone" going on then you'd probably look towards the Breed or Norton. The Norton probably shades it as far as harmonic response goes but they're all good in that respect.

For clean tones just use positions 2 and 4.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Dear seagull, thanks a ton for your replies

I will look into it. Thanks again
Quote by aznrockerdude
Why not use the neck pickup for cleans?

Cleaner meaning, while I'm using distortion. I do that for stuff high on the neck, depending what it is. But just a tonier/cleaner bridge pickup is what I'd like.