Hey guys. As I'm sure you've noticed, there are an infinite amount of guitarists compared to bassists. It seems everyones always looking for a bassist, yet landing with a good band as a guitarist can be difficult. Therefore, I'll be picking up a bass soon to try and have the best of both worlds. I've been interested for a while, but shy'ed away as I thought it might become too boring. How do you guys keep it interesting when you can't play chords, or throw in some lead licks here and there? I've been trying to pay more attention to the bass lines in music now, and it sounds like it could be fun to play, but I need to learn how to keep playing it fresh and not get routine (i.e., following the lead guitar's root note).

And, do you guys often write a song from the bass out?
bass is only as boring as u make it!!! its by no means easyier then guitar. ...you can slap bass,shred it ,pick it ,pluck it, tap it theres alot of variety with it..most of all its a load more fun that guitar.
instead of chords u can arpeggiate. u don't have to stick to the root and can have some fun. duff mckagen is a good example. doesnt keep it boring
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I will continue to read up on it. Looking forward to giving it a try.
Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. Can anyone tell me an appropriate wattage to play out with for bass? I'm completely out of my realm here, and since I'm switching in order to play out more, I am looking for an amp that I can immediately gig with. 1x15? 2x10? Thanks!
Quote by Slick_KH
Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. Can anyone tell me an appropriate wattage to play out with for bass? I'm completely out of my realm here, and since I'm switching in order to play out more, I am looking for an amp that I can immediately gig with. 1x15? 2x10? Thanks!

For comfortable headroom, you want at least 300W. If you can guarantee a PA system, a 150W will do as a stage monitor (so the drummer can hear you clearly) and the PA gives the crowd volume.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Bump, thanks for the help guys. I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass last night and can't wait to pick up a new amp today.