Hey peoples.
I'm wondering if i should change my guitar strings yet .
They kinda smell like acidic and their starting to turn dirty.
Is it time to change strings?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Alright , I'll go to my music store and buy a pack or 2 .
Anyone tried Ernie Ball Super Slinkys?
Any good?

Digidesign Eleven Rack

Call me Eddy
I usually use D'addarios, as I find they last longer than ernie ball without taking away from the tone. You're guitar probably has 9 or 10 guage at the moment, so go for one of those.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Yup .
9 - 42s
Its getting late were i am so i wont be replying in ages .

Digidesign Eleven Rack

Call me Eddy
one more thing. take note of the string gauges of your top three strings (E,B, and G). buy multiple quantities of these individual strings. i purchase at least 4 or 5 pieces for each of the three strings and keep them at home so i won't have to make a trip down to the shop everytime they break.
Or, just don't break your strings! I used to gig probably 6 times a month, and play easily every day for a few hours. I don't remember the last time I snapped a string - your technique is off or something on your guitar isn't being very nice to your strings!

Back to the question in hand, I try and change my strings every 6 weeks, or less if I'm playing a lot.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

also buy a can of string wipes. they will help make your strings last longer. make sure to wash your hands before playing also. i acually use eleixer strings and they are coated so they dont rust. they are about 3-5 dollars more than e.b.s but you dont have to change as often.
Just wait till it brakes. I've noticed they sound best few days before they snap. It's got to do something with the nickel peeling off.
I have one guitar that is 10 years old. I have never changed the strings. Sounds like crap but good enough for a practice guitar. I don't see how old strings can damage the guitar though.
Rasputin is a troll, you can tell from his threads...

old guitars can damage the guitar by scratching the frets more than standard strings would
if they smell, definitely get new ones
if you sweat when playing buy some strings wipes and wipe the strings underneath and over after you play.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
^Im sure if you threw an old guitar at a guitar it would do more than damage the strings :p!

I dont know what it is but I burn through ernie balls in a few hours (might be something to do with the acidity of my sweat?) so I use d'addarios instead, I find they last alot longer for me and have a nicer tone to them. I would go for 9-42 guage, so super slinkys or the purple packet d'addarios. Dont go for anything thinner cos they sound like a mosquito farts.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH