alright i am looking into tools for a first build here.
first off how much power would i need in a router? i was looking at them at my hardware store and the only ones in my price range have a 1.5hp peak. is that enough?
second if not a router would getting a router table and router plunger tools for a dremal suffice?
Quote by yanko693
alright i am looking into tools for a first build here.
first off how much power would i need in a router? i was looking at them at my hardware store and the only ones in my price range have a 1.5hp peak. is that enough?
second if not a router would getting a router table and router plunger tools for a dremal suffice?

i use a dremmel for some stuff but i dont see it being practical for cutting out an entire body. marbe routing edges or rounding edges slowly or cleaning up on some cavities but they arent meant for say making a control cavity or cutting out the wings.
i only intend it for pup routes and neck pocket. 75 in attatchments to use the dremal as a router or should i just take the plunge and get said router?
This might be a little over your price range but it would be worth it. I spent $160 on mine and couldn't be happier great for guitar work. If you don't mind reconditioned you can get it for $110 and I'm pretty sure it still has the warranty and everything. Would be much better than the craftsman plunge router.
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_(Reconditioned)___i307.aspx
Quote by 420 FREAK
This might be a little over your price range but it would be worth it. I spent $160 on mine and couldn't be happier great for guitar work. If you don't mind reconditioned you can get it for $110 and I'm pretty sure it still has the warranty and everything. Would be much better than the craftsman plunge router.
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_KM12VC_2-14_Peak_HP_Variable_Speed_FixedPlunge_Base_Router_Kit_(Reconditioned)___i307.aspx

thanks ill look into that one. ill have to stop by the bookstore to get a "how to use a router" for dummies book.
Quote by yanko693
thanks ill look into that one. ill have to stop by the bookstore to get a "how to use a router" for dummies book.

There not really hard to use but the book is a good idea you can do tons of things with routers. The book I have gave me a bunch of ideas on different jigs and stuff.